What would you like to see in the new mag?

• sampisampi
    May 2007
    What would you like to see in the new mag? Pretty straight forward... let us know right here...

Sixty40 Bodyboarding Magazine 10,222 views

120 Replies

• Spy Dude
    May 2007
    1) Good photography
    2) good writing
    3) Travel stories
    4) tutorials
    5) International coverage of events
    6) Pro profiles both local and international
    7) Old school local booger history
    8) development articles
    9) advertising
    10) Spot reviews
    11) Session of the month articles
    12) regional news
    13) dont give to shits about music or bands... leave that for blunt
    14) last blast
    15) industry news
    16) classifieds

that enough

my consulting fee is R200/hr ... an invoice is in the post :D
  • SmTSmT
    May 2007
    :D Just seeing a new Mag is going to be insane, keep up the hard work!
    Here's a few things i'd like to see:
    Reports from the different areas, much like in the old SA Bodyboarding.
    Spot Checks, little bit of a low down on well known spots
    A good spellcheck is essential
    A mix of both local and international news
    Good photos
    Good blend of well known riders as well as up and coming guys
    Insightful interviews with some of the guys both behind the scenes as well as the Pros
    Contest updates both from SABA and IBA
    Either way, it's going to be a sick mag, can't wait to get my grubby paws on the 1st issue!
  • SmTSmT
    May 2007
    :D haha, a few similarities Spy Dude?
    Aaah, great minds think alike
  • peterbee
    May 2007
    Proper articles - i.e. not buddy-coverage (or what you have lying around), but what the reader might be interested in and what ANY bodyboard mag would be pleased to have between it's covers - written well by someone who has at least SOME affinity with the English language.

Proper spell-checking and layout-checking - please, if you want me to spend bucks on a magazine, give me something I can be proud of...

Consistent quality, i.e issue 4 should be as good as (or hopefully better than!) issue 1, not worse...

That said... best of luck, looking forward to it!
  • Spy Dude
    May 2007
    17) reders photos -- like zags Shot bru... with a prize (like sunnies or surf hamper) for the best entry.
    18) REEF BRAZIL ADVERTS
    19) what peter said above....
    20) Broad perspective of photography.. here look at the top surf mags vs the zag... the top mags make use of a large number of photographers, which brings a balanced perspective and they use different reporters.
    This is in my mind where logic (and to a lesser extend-- zag) suxed. The use of one photogrpaher aint gonna get you anywhere.

21) be on the ball... you guys (at the mag) should be hungry for content. dont sit back and wait for the photos and articles to land on your desk.. if you know a killer session went down... hunt down the photogs that were there (if there were any) and sort someone out to write the article..
    22) commission work, it gives a feeling of self worth to those that are sacraficing surf time to sit and take photos of other people having fun.

fundamentally this is what killed my enthusiasm in regards to shooting surfing in general. Zag zag is arrogent... overseas surf mags commission work and makes you feel worth while.

and finally... DONT GET CLICKY and have the "in crowd" feel to the mag, and i refer to that in terms of who writes and takes photos and in terms of who gets coverage in the mag. If people feel they have been marginalised they start speaking death into the project and then all goes to shit.
  • ChilternburtChilternburt
    May 2007
    much of what is said about, most importantly the centering on only cetain riders, or area's, which isnt good, Sa has a massive coastline everyone deserves coverage if they are charging..
    obviously after the 1st or 2nd issue there will be comments made, and well just listen to what the readers are asking for...
  • JdV
    May 2007
    I'd like to see coverage of the big names but also a focus on the lesser known rippers out there,maybe a feature on a new underground talent in every issue?

Also I think that articles which would be of interest to bodyboarders,but not necessarily about bodyboarding would be cool,for example an article on photography,with interviews and tips from some of our top photog's would be awesome.And Spy Dude is so wrong when he says that there's no place for music in the mag,bring it on!

Oh, and I think a sixty40 mag myspace profile is essential.It's such a huge marketing tool and there's growing number of SA boogers on myspace.All the international mags(Movement,A-Frame,Riptide,I think?etc.) have profiles already,so I think that would be cool.

Good luck with the mag,I'm subscribing as soon as I can get my hands on my parents credit card!
  • Marthinus
    May 2007
    I think that there should be a section like they have in the Riptide Magazine, where in every issue a Pro rider talks about his board; the shape; the core; why it works for him, etc.

When i say a "Pro" rider i mean someone which is relatively experienced and talented (some one like Al Taylor, Sasha Specker etc.), not a random oke or some kid coz no one is interested in what their preferences in a board are, you need some one that knows what they talking about..

This could prove to be a hard task because from what i see many, many of SA's top pros ride stock boards.. If you compere it to a country like Oz where all the pros (as well as most bodyboarders in general) ride their own customs, I'm not referring to guys with their own 'Pro Models', the board that they actually ride is nothing like the board you can buy in the shop with their name on it. But once again here in SA the few guys that do have their own signature model ride with the exact same board that is being mass produced and sold in surf shops.

So also try to hunt down some international riders.

For me personally, this is the most interesting section in the Riptide. I don't know if anyone agrees

:idea: An 'Industry' section is also entertaining
  • SmTSmT
    May 2007
    :D The mag is going to be crazy!!! Can't wait!
    No credit card excuses! If you click on the banner for the sixty40 Mag it gives you a coupon to fill out and you can pay pretty much anyway you want!
    Go forth and subscribe :!:
  • ch4os_
    May 2007
    hmmm, some of my photos? :D :D :D

i dont know, but just remember a fresh design is also a way of getting a big amount of readers.. take the blunt for eg they have a diff cover created by diff artists every month, i think this is a pretty good idea if there is the talent out there because the usual barrel/invert pic kinda gets old :/

Anyways good luck to it and i hope it dont go sour!
  • Stephan Becker
    May 2007
    With reference to the coverage of lesser known riders, you guys can maybe have a plan to cover new spots every 4weeks or something like that. You can choose to advertise it, telling ppl that you'll be in the area on the date planned or you could just pitch up. Sure this will get people amped to ride hard for the chance of being on the mag and having an interview ect.

And for spots a bit further away you could ask local photogs for some photo's and to give you the riders contact details to you can ask him/her the q's you want...

see what you think
  • hugh grant
    May 2007
    At least three photo's of my ridiculously well defined figure!!
  • ChilternburtChilternburt
    May 2007
    can i have a refund now...
  • Steve
    November 2007
    I rate a grom section and a profie and mabe like sumthing lyk words of a littie
  • lyle
    November 2007
    i rate spy has some good ideas. i also think your first two mags have been super as alot of the ideas guys are putting through you have covered. thing is, the mag is still new and is much smaller than the riptide mags which have been running much longer. my advice would be to grow the mag. make sixty40 a big name!

best wishes!!!!!!
  • JAMES bye
    November 2007
    i rate there should be some free goodies in the mag... like stickers of something... and there sould be 12 a year instead of 4
  • Stephan Becker
    November 2007
    uhm I think thats what lyle was high lighting there james. Those things will take time(although I agree and your points will improve the mag). But I think most will agree that the mag in already very sick after just two releases...
  • Spy Dude
    November 2007
    sampi-Mike-Ian K i wasnt joking about contacting me. Lets do beers sometime, and this will give sampi a chance to see the big city lights :wink:

Had a pow wow with DC at the wavescape book launch (IAN WHY WERNT YOU THERE) and there is so much room for improvement (Although its darn sick aready) But seeing as a bench mark has been set the only way from now is up.

Call me dudes.

use it/dont use it, its up to you!
  • JmoJmo
    November 2007
    Ya Spy, I had some pretty good ideas (i thought so anyway) that were interesting, fresh and a step away from the standard surfmag output. But after pitching the ideas to a few of the mag officials it pretty much fell flat.
    Its a pity, because I think that to break out of the stereotypical mag profile it'll take a bit of effort to brainstorm ideas and nurture good sources of content, like people that can write really well, or have interesting experience and opinions.

Having said that, I still think the mag is solid and a great step forward from previous local publications.

Cheers
    Jmo
  • Spy Dude
    November 2007
    mmm i hear you Mr Mooo....
  • dcmike
    November 2007
    Ahoy all!
    Yep, we're doing everything we can to grow the mag and the positive feedback has helped loads. Make no mistake guys, your comments and input are invaluable and just because some of the ideas haven't been run yet doesn't mean that they won't. At a current 52 pages and only quarterly, that's just over 200 pages per year... try fitting how ever many thousand booger ideas and photos onto that and you will see... - we are dying to up the frequency and make it fatter and for that we either need to knock off a bank or be prepared to see this baby walk before we conquer everest ;-)
    And yes, any offers of beers and brainstorms... let us know!

ps. the presses are rolling with issue 3!

peace
    Mike

• November 2007
    ja for sure totally spot on there mikedc! mag will take time and will only get better so every issue just means something sweeter to look forward to ;)

with the amount of pages and ideas put forward most mags need about 1/3 of them to be advertisers to cover printing costs etc. So only leaving about 140 pages a year to print storys ideas etc.. so its tough work cramming it all in till the size improves.. but that would happen with the usual increase in advertisers, sales, getting the name out there etc... so spread the love in the mean time :)

mikedc / ian did you put that idea forward to Factory7 that i mentioned? Should boost the mag and the online store and nothing to lose hey but just good turn over and progression for both... think about it esp with xmas coming through

hope everyone is doing well and scoring waves and getting some mad pics! dont forget to send the best ones in for some extra pocket money!!!

chow for now everyone and get me back to the seaside already!!

god bless
    markclark
  • lyle
    November 2007
    i rate you let your baby crawl, walk,run then climb everest. trust me, you skip one stage and you bound to fall. ive started a small pig farm. started with 2 pigs. im up to 18 now. i cant make a living from 18 so i have a full time job as well. pretty tough!!! now, someone else in the area went big through the bank front up, and he didnt have the experience first hand and hadnt gone through all the niggles and he came crshing down.

moral of the story- crawl, walk, run then fly!!

good luck boys! theres lots of hard work ahead but the rewards will be worth it!!

• November 2007
    wahoooo lyles going to have pigs that can fly!! i want to check that out ;)

well said kyle...
  • lyle
    November 2007
    :lol:
  • krukru
    November 2007
    Hey Fellas,

Thanks for the support, we are getting there.
    As DC said, we would itch to put out a 100 page mag for everyone, but that would require 30 full pages of advertising, and let me tell you that those advertisers are a bit hard to come by:
    JMO, the ideas are still there, don't worry.
    Pierre, sorry I missed out but we will make a plan.

everyone else: it's simple, we need the following from you:

Advertising (I know you guys have connections to people who are looking to reach the youth market)
    Subscribers ( its almost christmas, there are over 2000 registered users on sixty 40 and we have 100 subscribers, its R70 for a year, that's not even 1 big night out with the fellas. And to those 100 supporters, good times and big barrels coming your way :D )
    General sales (if your grandmother doesn't have a copy get her one, if your dog doesn't I am sure he will appreciate the extra chew toy. It's simple: the more we sell, the easier it is to get advertisers and the bigger and better we make the mag )

And support the guys who advertise, there are some guys in this industry who show no support and guys still buy there product. The more we put pressure on there livelihood that they get from milking the sport the more they will realise that they need to give back.

Other than that, I can tell you that the new mag is SICK! Sampi, DC, good job. It will be out by the end of the month, subscribers get it early.

Good times.
    Ian

• November 2007
    wahooo, nice one ian, cant wait!!!

you thought about doing a smaller say 1 or 2 pages for local surshops like they do with some of the international mags... so one full page will have say 8 small advertisements to boost the interest of small shops and upcoming products who dont have the budget yet? know a lot of owes here in the UK are doing that in the local mags and then they aim for half page ads etc and bigger and bigger....just a thought use it dont lose kind of thing...haha

ok off to plymouth for about a week to hit up this huge swell thats just hit at 1ft @ 4 seconds.. so pretty amped!! anyone around the area or overseas drop me a line if want to hook up

laters everyone and cant wait for the new mag

mc
  • Steve
    November 2007
    i rate that you ous should mabe have a product review and the the product you wanna revew the brand hus product it is should pay so its like advertising and it helps alot of people that duna what is cuting
  • krukru
    November 2007
    Hey guys,

They both sound like good ideas and we have been pursuing them to a certain degree. They both come with there own set of difficulties but we will keep pushing them.

So I don't see to many people replying on the subscription side?
    100 subscribers out of 2000 members? :oops:
    5% seems a bit of a paltry number? :D

so come on, this is an open topic, let's hear it.
    let's see who doesn't want to pay R70 for a mag at their door 4 times a year?

good times
  • Steve
    November 2007
    i would be amped to pay 70 rand for the sub but im 13 so i dont have R70 i just save an ex amount every time the new issue is due
    would like to subscribe but i cant
  • Stephan Becker
    November 2007
    sell a medium size block of crack and u'll have enough;) na i'm kidding...seriously!! Well in all honsetly R70 for 4 mags is actually dirt cheap. Even if the contents were crap(which its not) just the quality of the paper used is enough to make u buy it. I've been meaning to surscribe from the 1st issue but I'm sad to say I haven't gotten round to it. But will soon tho!!

Keep it up!
  • SmTSmT
    November 2007
    Please people! R70 is minimal, borrow from your parents and pay them back, save up a night or 2 out, don't have McDonalds for a while!
    The fact that there's only 100 Subs is sad, there are over 100 entries in most SABA contests and more than that for S.A's, what excuses do those guys have, they can manage to save up enough for those contests that only last a weekend but a R70 Sub lasts the year?
    There's no excuse that you don't have a credit card, Factory7 and Sixty40 mag have covered all the bases when it comes to payment.
    I'll say it again, don't complain about SA Bodyboarding if you can't scrape together R70 and support the sport you say you love???
    C'mon guys! Tell your Parents, friends and Family - I want a Sixty40 Mag Subscription for Christmas!!!!!!!!
  • SebSeb
    November 2007
    Yea i agree people r making excuses 70 bucks is nothing. I hav been wanting to subscribe havent gotten down 2 it tho. Ill make sure its done before the end of this weekend. (do i still get the mag early?)
  • Steve
    November 2007
    brah im not making excuses i dont have R70 rand.
  • kimon
    November 2007
    PM me your details. I'll buy you one.
  • krukru
    November 2007
    good work guys,

Stephen, if you ain't got R70 then tell your parents you want it for christmas,
    It's just round the corner and it's the gift that keeps on giving all year.

Thanks for the support fellas,
    subscribers get it early.
    Spread the word.

And why did so many people back away from this discussion when money got spoken about? :lol: No one's asking for a month's salary, just a little donation...that get's 4 mags to your door for the whole year.

Let's see how many people we can get on board.
  • KellyKelly
    November 2007
    If anyone wants to subscribe - from the menu, select:

> Magazine > Subscribe

Or visit http://www.sixty40.co.za/mag/sixty40-subscribe.pdf

Issue 3 is going out to subscribers this week.

For those who do not wish to subscribe, please support your local surf store if they stock it or ask them to get it in if they don't. Alternatively, you can pick up a copy from CNA.

And if you're keen for some sixty40 threads, you can also grab yourself a sixty40 T-shirt on special at Factory 7:

Follow this link: Sixty40 T-Shirts
  • mettie
    November 2007
    Yo ian, i wanna subscribe to the mag, but i am in the usa, do u guys ship internationally? I will pay for the shipping etc, no probs. Just another word to the ous complaining about 70 bucks....come on man, these ous are doing an awesome job here, get a F#$%%%% job or tell your parents to get jobs, but 70 bucks a YEAR....COME ON PEOPLE!!! i read all these comments from all the same people on this site everyday....please tell me all of u have subscriptions already.... and here are the names.....JMO....mark clark....spy dude.....jdv.......kimon....byron777....hugh grant....len at science....the king.....chinnychinchin.......elementree.....rylin.....the ninja kid.....lyle.....peter lambert.....marthinus.....and the list goes on.....my point, stop being so cheap. All of u ous talk about this sport so passionately all the time, a sport which has given all of us so much pleasure over the years, so do something about it people. thats me for another 4 years
    mettie
  • KellyKelly
    November 2007
    Hey Mettie,

International subs are R170 and you can pay by Credit Card through Factory 7:

http://www.factory7.co.za/boardshop/pro ... cts_id=343

Email me if you don't have a credit card.

Cheers,
    Kelly
  • BOWL GROM
    November 2007
    can there pls be a- young and hot section to profile upcoming riders
    :lol: and maybe an all photo issue once a year
    thanks
  • jbs
    November 2007
    100 subscribers...

The vulgarities that just pulsed through my head are not appropriate for this thread.

To those without subscriptions who frequent this site regularly...get your act together, and spare me the excuses, im tired of them now.

Sixty40 staff - keep up the good work, you guys rock!
  • Marthinus
    November 2007
    mettie wrote:
    Yo ian, i wanna subscribe to the mag, but i am in the usa, do u guys ship internationally? I will pay for the shipping etc, no probs. Just another word to the ous complaining about 70 bucks....come on man, these ous are doing an awesome job here, get a F#$%%%% job or tell your parents to get jobs, but 70 bucks a YEAR....COME ON PEOPLE!!! i read all these comments from all the same people on this site everyday....please tell me all of u have subscriptions already.... and here are the names.....JMO....mark clark....spy dude.....jdv.......kimon....byron777....hugh grant....len at science....the king.....chinnychinchin.......elementree.....rylin.....the ninja kid.....lyle.....peter lambert.....marthinus.....and the list goes on.....my point, stop being so cheap. All of u ous talk about this sport so passionately all the time, a sport which has given all of us so much pleasure over the years, so do something about it people. thats me for another 4 years
    mettie

I've been a subscriber since day one.. I was also one of the only ten people, if I'm not mistaken, to subscribe to Movement when Jason Boddy tried to import and distribute it in SA
  • mettie
    November 2007
    hey thanks kelly, i just subscribed....
  • SebSeb
    November 2007
    subscibed aswell i guess that makes 102 people lets see hw high we can get that number
  • JdV
    November 2007
    Yeah I think that it's definitely time to have a big drive to increase the number of subscribers..there's no more excuses now that we've already seen two quality issues - we know that the sixty40 team are delivering a great mag!

Maybe you should start up a sixty40 stall at every SABA event and contest and push subscriptions..do a few give-aways etc..if they could pay on the spot for subscriptions I think that would be better coz a lot of people in this country are either sceptical of paying over the internet or just too lazy to bother.
  • Chicken Joe
    November 2007
    I have subscribed too so thats 103 guess. Plus I have ordered the 2 issues I missed.

I agree with the sentiments of previous threads its important to have a subscriber base, not only does this show some sort of commitment to the poor fella's producing the mag, but MORE importantly it gives them a stronger position when trying to land advertisers.

A larger subscriber base would give advertisers some confidence in the bodyboarding community.
  • Spy Dude
    November 2007
    I prefer to support the shops that put the mag on its shelves, strange but true, Yes i know, but those shops that support the mag by displaying it need to be supported too, its all releative bru. i live in south african and free choice is guarenteed in my consitiution. Sorry to burst your bubble mettie old chap, but i wont subscribe just yet.
  • Marthinus
    November 2007
    JdV wrote:
    if they could pay on the spot for subscriptions I think that would be better coz a lot of people in this country are either sceptical of paying over the internet or just too lazy to bother.

100% on the money right there!
  • JmoJmo
    November 2007
    Mettie, go check the thread on who subscribed to the mag and you'll see who was on the list even before the first mag was out (myself included).

Maybe the new subscribers should go get their names down on that thread if they want to claim it.

Lets use this thread for more great mag content suggestions...
  • scroffmeister
    November 2007
    only a hundred odd people subscribed, oh well I didnt think everyone would rush out and subscribe, but then like Spy says most people pick them up from the local shop.

I subscribed, but got the first delivery like 2 weeks after everyone else, didnt get the second one and just found it easier to direct my mother to the closest CNA and pick it up and post it to me, less hassle.

So out of the two issues so far I have bought "3" and only recieved "2", so when the sub runs out I will just buy from the shops.

Its a sick quality mag and I enjoy reading it and I would hope that even if only a 100 odd guys subscribed that the total number of copies sold was far more than that, well I certainly hope so.
  • lyle
    November 2007
    dude you mustve been bumbed that you didnt get your copy posted. drop Kelly Footit @ [edited: contact through the cotact page]. when mine was late i droped him a mail and he could tell me if it was sent and could send another your way. after all you paid. let the guys know at sixty40 if things are not going well, they need our feed back.

i was happy with kellys service.
  • dcmike
    November 2007
    Ahoy Scroff - Dude, when you mailed me I straight away spoke to distribution and we checked your address details and sent you another copy express. I never heard from you again so I assumed all was good (you know what they say about assumptions...). You must be bummed and we're really sorry. Ian and I have been exploring quicker and more reliable options (trying to stay within price constraints of course) and this is getting priority cos we really do want to keep the guys that support us happy! I have personally dropped off copies to guys that haven't received theirs (within my area) to ensure satisfaction. Please, please - anyone that doesn't get theirs, mail us. We can't fix things if we don't know they're broke. Scroff, please pm me your address details again so I can check against our database and we'll sort you out.
    For the rest of you eager spongers... Issue 3 has been printed and is being packaged for distribution so not much longer to wait! And I can honestly say... it's even better than 1 and 2 combined! Stay tuned!
  • peterbee
    November 2007
    Nice one, Mike!

On a different note, there's logic to what Spy says, so rather than people saying you should do it this way or you should do it that way, just make sure there's a lot of noise (e.g. on sixty40.co.za) when the new issue hits the shelves, and we sure as hell will be charging down to our surf shops for it...
  • JdV
    November 2007
    It's true that the shops need support but at the end of the day the thing that's going to keep the mag alive and hopefully growing is advertising..and subscriptions mean guaranteed readers which is what potential advertisers are looking for..a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

The shops will survive without the mag..the mag WILL NOT survive without advertisers.
  • peterbee
    November 2007
    Good point!
  • krukru
    November 2007
    See, here's the thing, retail stores are consumer driven.
    They are more likely to make sales of the mag from the guys that peruse the surf store looking for clothes, a block of wax, etc.
    One of the reasons the mag is no longer wrapped in plastic because the guys at CNA said that the people need to see whats in the mag and that comes from all the kids that walk past the racks and check the mag out. So they make their sales from walk past traffic, and presuming we make a good mag, we get the sale.

I am in no way saying that you shouldn't support your local surf store but for subscriber sales they should largely come from the guys who live the sport and want a copy on their doorstep first. And this translates well for us because we can go to potential advertisers and tell them that you have a guaranteed sale of x amount of mags through subscribers.

I do somehow just seem to see alot of debate on this topic and once again no action, if people really want to see the sport grow why isn't everyone on this website behind it? People seem far to quick to complain when something goes wrong but when we offer a simple solution there are nothing more than umm's and ahh's. Quite ineteresting really.

So let's hear some idea's about getting half the people on here to subscribe? To all the people that like to complain, let's hear some solutions for once.

And to all our current supporter: thanks again.
  • dcmike
    November 2007
    Maybe the idea that two lucky subscribers score Sabre sunnies and one soon to be very stoked person scored a Science bodyboard will encourage the rest of you. Beside all that stuff about "I can't afford it" here's a mini math lesson: 4 x R20 = R80 - R70 for subscription - postage = R15-00 (approx). That means you actually score...
  • Chinnychinchin
    November 2007
    "The shops will survive without the mag..the mag WILL NOT survive without advertisers."

EXACTLY.

Seriously, I blew 70 bucks on 2 sandwiches and 2 cokes at lunch-time.
    Who goes into CNA and whines about the fact that it's got a plastic sleeve on, so they can't check a 20 buck mag out first?? thats just lame.

Truth is, a subscrition will help THE ONLY MAG WE HAVE and help our sport.....simple.
  • Spy Dude
    November 2007
    I actually havnt found the mag in CNA, have looked for it there but alas no Sixty40.
    Rather hit the Sport Unlimited or Sport and surf and get it there.

but to satisfy your need i will subscribe ok...
  • ElementreeElementree
    November 2007
    Ah i love a healthy debate...

Spy cracks under the relentless pressure!

Good on you!
  • Spy Dude
    November 2007
    I would love to see more Danny Black in the mag, i love the way he shoots the pros as well as the unknown hawaian rider... Ahoy Danny keeping it with the Spirit of the Underground.

• October 2008
    How about like a page of readers' letters or pictures...and a prize for the best letter, picture etc. Like they have in all good magazines eg. Sports Illustrated, ZigZag etc. Wuld be pretty awesum if we could send in sum of of our stuff!!! :D :D
  • jbs
    October 2008
    I second the notion for readers letters, would be really cool.

Maybe also a province or area update, like what happened in Dbn, South Coast, PE, Cape Town, Weskus etc. for the 3 months leading up to the new mags release.
  • craigtrilivascraigtrilivas
    October 2008
    Jbrad stop stealin my ideas! :lol:
    Ja i reckon that would make okes way stoked and subscribers too.
    Everyone would be itching to see if they made the mag!
  • krukru
    October 2008
    Hey fellas,

We have had this debate a couple of times at the mag and here is why we don't put it in:

Firstly, alot of the time we don't get enough images submitted for a reader shots page.
    Secondly, we were thinking of opening a letters page but in this day and age it takes 3 months between mags to post replies, we believe that Kelly has built an amazing site with sixty40.co.za where the forum allows views to be expressed, as well as open debate on particular subjects (such as this one) which happens in real time.
    Thirdly, we are still evolving as a magazine and since we aren't that thick (YET!!!) we want to reserve pages for the sickest shots so you guys would be stoked to stick it on your wall/office/girlfriend to stare at all day long.

As always this is open to debate so let me know your thoughts.

cheers
  • Spy Dude
    October 2008
    I want to see more adverts
  • adam1
    October 2008
    a hot bikini clad model ... or two

• October 2008
    ja cool thoughts... just as Ian says the times till it prints, sixty40 online etc makes sense...

spy - adverts?! cool you going to sponsor some stuff?! ;) thanks...hahaa

i knew polinski was one of the biggest names in the sport with about 10 brands underneath him which should mean about 10 pages of adverts...whats happened to him, the brands? anyone know?!

what about the ladies who bodyboard in SA? We have a good handful and im sure we have some rippers also! Remember the old mag always had a page or two dedicated to the ladies of the sport also... Pamela Bowren, off to World Games = Good rider (where is she based?) cover / feature on herself? Would be cool to get some more girls invovled in the sport as dont see or hear that many

otherwise submit photos for sure!! i send heaps through when im here in SA and there are waves....id dig to see photographers pushing to get better shots and better quality!! if the guys who are submitting not sure formats / how to edit / send off etc chat to the guys at sixty40 / forum as im sure they will be stoked to help out... id be even stoked to help you out if i can.

Cool -

PS > A certain somewhere might be breaking quite nicely on Saturday at Cape Town... mmmmh.. yes i think it might be time for a fun paddle again ;) check the swell charts and will more then likely see you out there if you are keen? Fortune favours the brave and if you not sure and amped to charge some fun 8 - 12ft peaks let me know and will fill you in! Oh call will get made on Friday night with closest forecast :shock:

640_Sunset17May2008-surfer-.jpg
  • JmoJmo
    October 2008
    Sick. So jealous of you okes...

On the topic of chicks who ride, I want to know what happened to Danielle Cook... the last time i saw her in the water was when she paddled out at maxing Crayfish Factory on the biggest day I have ever surfed there and then dropped into the biggest wave I have ever seen a chick ride. Immense respect. The footage on Line of Fire does no justice to her wave or the day...

danielle-cook-crayfish-factory.jpg
    danielle-cook-crayfish-factory.jpg

PS. Thats not a mountain or anything in the background behind her wave. Its the next set wave! :shock:
  • that NINJA kid
    October 2008
    Sorry to jump back off the girls, I've been away from here for waaaaay too long but I wanna see more of everything that's in there already... I wanna see more shots of cats I've never heard of! I know it's tough to get cats hooked up cos not everyones got a sick camera but that's just what I'd dig to see!

Also more lifestyle-crap! In mags like Riptide there are little tiled photos , even in bits and pieces in margins and backgrounds, I know we're not all Obsessive but random sunsets/landscapes/seascapes/wildlife/beahbums/girls... no matter how unrelated add just a little more detail to peruse!
    (Whoever's doing layout can PM me on here to swear at me!)

Also, with my sub, I got 2 of the current issue, I dunno how you guys want me to sort that out?
    (I mean paying for it?) I handed it over to a friend who needed to see it and I'm more than willing to pay!

*I also just realised that instead of pacing the crap out of my nearest mall for Xmas presents this year I've got a few mates who'll be picking up a subscription!
  • KellyKelly
    October 2008
    that NINJA kid wrote:
    Also, with my sub, I got 2 of the current issue, I dunno how you guys want me to sort that out? (I mean paying for it?) I handed it over to a friend who needed to see it and I'm more than willing to pay!

Our mistake bru ... hope your buddy enjoyed the read!
    that NINJA kid wrote:
    *I also just realised that instead of pacing the crap out of my nearest mall for Xmas presents this year I've got a few mates who'll be picking up a subscription!

Nice one! Thanks for the support.
  • krukru
    October 2008
    Nice one guys,

Mark: I'm jealous.

JMO: I think Danielle is still doing the London slog, I heard rumours of an SA return but I am still waiting on the outcome.

Ninja Kid: Good work, spread the love.

Cheers
  • hobbithenko
    October 2008
    The 06 mag was gr8!

how about competitions where readers can enter a photo like a big air , or most crazy or funiest picture! :D

yes there was a comp in the mag but that was from science and who the hell is going to knw where that surf spot and the rider is....unless you where there that day. :(

thnx for a gr8 mag, I only wish that there was a knew issue evry month......
    October 2008
    Yeah I quite enjoy that section in FHM where pics r sent with okes in the wierdest places & scenarios with mag in hand :mrgreen:
    Some good laughs to b had there.

Maybe?
  • Spy Dude
    October 2008
    i want to see more content, new mag is sick, but a little anorexix. Dylan interview is kuk funny.
    Also WHEN YOU RUN A SEQ dont make it so flipping small you cant see it without a flipping magnifineglass!!!! Rather -- Dont run it! :mrgreen:
  • that NINJA kid
    October 2008
    I know they cost kak-loads but Posters?
    What do grams wall-paper their rooms with nowadays?

I've got mates who's garages and even some of their rooms still have some of the sickest posters, of those images, the special ones that just grab your attention and imagination without any mercy!

Posters just drive home bodyboarding as a lifestyle, fallign asleep looking at pitures of Spencer at UBERheavy Keiki (back then) kept my dreams blue!
  • Rashieq
    October 2008
    yeah i agree with spy...great mag this issue.
    stories are vrek funny. great tips too.
    and insane pixs, all worth my R25 :lol:
  • Spy Dude
    October 2008
    Question: Now that you ran my seq of spex getting pitted at kbay, ( an di am stoked you ran it, even though you need a microscope to see it) can i post it here sothat people can actuallty see it? :mrgreen:
  • JmoJmo
    October 2008
    Aaah no, another booger sucked into this blackhole of misery called London... get out everyone while you can!

I dig Craigs idea of the location photo's... except if its pictures of London, thats out of line! :D

• October 2008
    some of this maybe?

swim1235.jpg

its a true fact, sex sells...

i thought blunt was finished? they just got a new mag on the shelves or is it me confused?

• October 2008
    sorry my bad, heres a better size sample....

pony_252.jpg
    October 2008
    LOL!!!
    Legend :D

Oh and Mark, u were right about the best positions in the other thread.
    HOLAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:
  • ch4os_
    October 2008
    Hows about a graphic design section?

There are a few talented boogers in this department i rate! Show off some skillz? :D
  • Spy Dude
    October 2008
    what mark said... hubba hubba hubba.... yeah artistic photos of women at the beach, bring it on.
    Maybe we could do a page 3!

cos lets face it, on the outside we are all looking at photos of boys in tight rubber, this makes it all a little less .. um..gay? hahhaha, thats a joke! no need to get your nickers in a knot.

• October 2008
    lol, nice one spy....maybe even half page beach babe shot... whether it was snapped randomly of a chick on the beach or posed could do!

but page 3 is good lol, did you ever know that there was a http://www.page3.com site with all the page 3 girls?! not sure if its still up but remember was emailed around a long time ago.

mark
  • dcmike
    October 2008
    Ah Mrs Palmers pg 3 girls! haha! Nice one okes, definitely keeping tabs on all the comments and yes, we also want it fatter... The mag I mean, not the page 3 girl!
    Spy bru - post 'em! You know the beat, so many riders/shots, so little space... I know you need a microscope but we were kinda hoping it would just give some indication of how Spex got to the dk barrel position in the water shot above the sequence - sorry boys but you can drool over the sequence once Spy loads it up ;-)

And yeah, love that idea - Buy your mates, brother, sister, granny, parole officer, whoever a sub for xmas! The more we sell the fatter we can make this thing!

Shot everyone for all the positive comments and input!
    dc

• October 2008
    Mike - you just dig checking out the images .... of the girls that is ;)

Subs.... well good point!! I believe why the subs arent working so well is cause you cant just sign up and pay straight away. You have to do it on factory7 then do a bank transfer, the whole thing becomes a mission.

Yes you can go online and do it, then you have to mission to your bank to do a transfer and if you working it takes time to get time off and sort all of it. Think what owes would prefer is enter your details, enter you card details and presto there you go :)

must be another way of doing this, hands up i havent got a sub yet cause of the banks here in SA and no online payment options so have to keep going down to local store to pickup a copy.

If we find a easier way the im sure can get it rolling....

whats happening with school leagues? 100 - 150 kids and how many of those are subs?! Every school kid should have atleast one or if not sorted by parent for next year as xmas present?!

people have time but then again they get lazy, so for them to run all over the show to get a sub just seems like a mission and then who cares just pick it up from the local shop....

comon guys, someone must have some solutions here?! What are your thoughts on the subs?!

mike for you bru...

5412514.jpg
    October 2008
    Oooh cake!!
    Nom nom nom... :lol:
  • Spy Dude
    October 2008
    ok lekker
    i will post the spex seq tomorrow or next week , ag, whenever i can get a free moment, who am i, who are you, what am i doing here, the wind is blowing outside, hallo!
  • JmoJmo
    October 2008
    Mark bru, firstly I'm pretty sure you can pay online since thats what I have done. Twice. So easy.
    Secondly, if you post another image like that last one, I'll be forced to assume that you have a wierd fetish that needs to be beaten out of you with a rubber mallet...
  • Diego
    October 2008
    I wana c more local riders pics with a section teaching u hw to do tricks and then a section o an up and coming rider nt jst the sponsored riders but the good ones that are still developing and have talent and potential with a big dream for bodyboardin and start up local competitions...peace :mrgreen:

• November 2008
    I would like to see something like a readers' letters section :idea: in a form of a competition, like the best letter gets...a free pair of custom X fins or bodyboarding socks, or a DVD, or like a subscription, it would be awesome!! :D :D
    Jono B
  • StJohnLombard_Bodyboarder
    November 2008
    EAST COAST SHOTS FOR SURE!

EL and near by ereas need some exposure!
  • lyle
    November 2008
    dude, exposure is cool and all, but just check out under general what happens when little gems get exposure. im talking about how upset spy got with a certain published article. i always thought it would be cool to see el getting kiff exposure but now that ive traveled ive seen exposure can be very bad. it brings crowds and soon you get dicks in your area. east coast is sa's best kept secret and after some thought i wanna keep it that way. you????
    November 2008
    Very true lyle. Not many people to crowd our spots though hey? maybe just a few in town spots, that already get crowds. just to show what we got.. no outta town shit. we have such amazing spots out here, flip I've found some hectic spots that i'm certain are unsurfed. a few beautiful ledges! :mrgreen:

• November 2008
    MORE DK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last issue only had like 1 sequence of of Spex, which was insane, but WE WANT MORE!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    November 2008
    I agree!
    Feed us more DK Seymore :twisted:

• November 2008
    ja some more DK will be sick, but how many owes do you see riding DK? Not many here in CT and when im shooting i hardly see a person out there ripping it on the knee. We need more DK shredders for sure!

Guys, with the whole spot and exposure thing, you are all taking it the wrong way i would say..

firstly if you submit shots to the mag that are secret and give it the name and how to get there you should be shot!

Secondly if its a sick article / mission and good coverage of the spot sick send it in etc, BUT dont put down how to get there and a million tips that will give it away ;)

Thirdly i believe Sixty40 like most mags will run a show and no tell policy. You send the sick secret spots without names and they will run it without clues / names etc. Its respected in magazines generally and dont think Sixty40 have an issue running sick coverage if you dont want to give the name / location.

EL --- dudes you need to get together and get shooting and busting!! so many spots and here of you guys chatting about this and that and so many of you owes amped, why not make a day mission / weekend mission and get sixty40 an exclusive coverage of a sick trip?

just my two cents worth ;) hahaha... well this is what ive learnt and picked up with working with local and international magazines with bodyboarding and surfing.

• November 2008
    Oh almost forgot..

Forthly...

Most times a secret spot gets exposed is NOT due to the mag covering it...its about the guys you take along that cant keep it quite and spill the beans to all the others. If you see a pic in the mag and its a dead give away to a location then fairplay.

When i see a sick new spot going off in the mag there is no way i can tell what swell size / period / direction / wind directions etc its just plain impossible. The only time ive ever seen spots getting exposed is due to friends who cant keep a secret, they lack transport or petrol money so they just chuck any owe and there dog in the car to help get there at a better price and save cash...also people actually giving out names / directions in the magazine....submit shots and if you dont want it exposed just put down rider and photographer and leave the location blank.

Its that SIMPLE!

There are soo many sick spots ive seen in local / international mags that people see all the time but dont have a clue cause they know how to keep a secret spot secret... SA owes just cant do that to save their lives as bodyboarders can be the biggest bums in the world here in SA and thats the prime cause of these spots getting crowds. As a photographer you have to learn to respect these spots / locations and you will get invited to many more etc only through time and trust. Ive searched and come across about a million sick spots all around WP but about 90% of them havent told anyone yet / shown as still learning who to trust and those i dont, well sorry dont invite them at all ever.

peace

• November 2008
    Mark, I agree with you regarding the fact that we need more DK Shredders but the thing is Damon has been sending in some pretty decent shots and nothing seems to happen with them????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

• November 2008
    As for secret spots.......no news is good news.......don't tell anyone!!! :twisted:
  • floris
    November 2008
    Huge A3 posters would be great! :mrgreen:

• November 2008
    ok not sure havent seen what damon has been sending in...know its a bit easier if its accompanied by a story / article i would imagine. but otherwise not sure, i know they are probably very limited for space and need to try even it out across SA even though CT sends in heaps of shots...flip ive sent quite a lot of really sick water stuff from around CT over the last 6 months which has sick waves, perfectly lit and 100% sharp all the way through but no sign of them in the mags...i believe Sampi keeps a stock library of the shots that he doesnt use straight away and can then recommend it to sponsors / future articles.

best is just keep busting out and firing away with the shots and submitting is all i do...ocassionally ill just post up a few random shots like i did some of water shots a few days ago in the gallery...prime shots and surfing mags have been keen to run them, just a little old for the surf mags now as they are about 3 - 6months old

• November 2008
    Hows about we push our photographer levels / riders to the next level? Check the UK ThreeSxity mag.. they seriously lack swell and good waves, which we have almost every week and yet they pumping out sicker pics then we have and they have much colder water the CT....

subscribe-threesixty.jpg
  • Niklas Martin.
    November 2008
    Sections where they explain to u how to do certain tricks with a nice picture sequence.. would be great.. as well as publicizing more up and coming riders..
  • Heinrich van Rooyen
    November 2008
    interview with David Lillienfeld
  • bboard1
    November 2008
    Shot, i like the idea of including some manouvre tutorials. I know they are also expensive but could some companies also be persuaded to supply some stickers for the mag?
  • krukru
    November 2008
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for the epic feedback, stoked we are getting to hear from our reader's.
    We had signed the Xmas issue off by the time the suggestions poured through but keep your eye's peeled :shock: for the first issue of 2009.

And keep the suggestions coming.
    Good times
  • puku
    November 2008
    How bout a section for the different regions where there's just some random news and whats going on from the people in the know from the various provinces. Stickers would be cool and so would massive 5-page posters but I guess that all comes with time and growth.
    Finally found issue 6 in an Exclusive Books in Maritzburg of all places. Sick issue. Nice to see some local photographers who usually shoot surfers submitting images. Especially that sequence by Wulff of that dude at Doorstops. That wave is always in the Zigzag, looks too sick.
    Frothing for the next one

• November 2008
    wahooo cant wait for next mag either!!

think only problem is lack of people who want to invest in the sport of bodyboarding so thats why it never grows so quick here....in Oz and US companies pump money into the sport, here in SA owes try milk the sport for investing least money as possible, this holds back the sport sadly. I think the guys would love to give away stickers, huge posters etc but no one is interested in sponsoring this. It must be really hard to run a mag in SA especially with the mentality of people here...everyone also expects to much without giving....but then yet again bodyboarding isnt that big yet as most other countries!! Movement are printing 20 000 mags per issue and selling them out completely. Zigzag are doing about 15 000 and struggling to sell them all, and think how much bigger surfing is here in SA already then bodyboarding!! Companies want to see bigger sales happening and bigger events taking place, our biggest contest is what 120 people once a year ?!? the schools in Cape Town have about 120 kids riding and thats just schools!! How many bodyboarders are there in SA thats the big question and how many of those would buy a magazine per person?
  • iammonster
    March 2009
    A while back in this thread we were looking at like 100 odd guys subscribing...
    Ian have you got anymore numbers for us?

And a couple guys touched on the subject of buying a sub as gifts... Such a mad present man! And so dirt CHEAP!!!
    Still cant get over how cheap the mag is!! Even if the person is only semi interested in the mag, its still a sick present, who knows it mite even turn the guy onto bodyboarding even more!

Wooooo next issue is almost upon us.... Frothing!!!!

Good work Sixty40 team!
  • Spy Dude
    March 2009
    chicks in bikini's....

we are straight males....
  • Ricky_Bobby
    March 2009
    The tutorial idea would be pretty sick, even though it's common in most mags. What about a sixty40 sticker in an issue so we could give you guys some more publicity. legend mag, peace
  • ConorConor
    March 2009
    I rate it would be sick if you do some local coverage on riders waves and whats going down in the local area lately etc. etc.
    that way more ous are getting exposed and it would amp them up and let us know whats happening in other areas if we had to go there for hollies or something??
    Stoked Keep the mag coming i dream about a new one everyday at school!!!
  • kelt
    March 2009
    i would like to see pictures of different riders and not the same ous that are always in the mag! and a sticker would be sick
    March 2009
    East coast shots... seriously.
  • Scarecrow
    March 2009
    Spy Dude wrote:
    chicks in bikini's....

we are straight males....

LMAO!!! I'm with you on this one dude 8)

On a serious side though, it would be cool to have a story type section where a particular session is featured in the mag with photos from that session. There's plenty of days when the surfs gets awesome and there are tons of okes on it busting out. All we need is somebody there that can take the shots and write up a short story to go with it. They could then describe what was going down, what the waves were like and who was ripping. And there's always funny stuff happening in the water too. Maybe get some comments from the guys that were out there on the day. If we could get this going for the whole coastline it'd be great I reckon.
    March 2009
    interviews with the average joes and why they love the sport?
  • Spy Dude
    March 2009
    Old school section!!! like what ever happened to Kevin Dry, Per lostraf, Frans Oliver, Frank Stolberg, Nigel Tarboton?
    Ok thats seriously old school... little less old school... Jason Body, Van Wessels, Gareth Harvey, that contest machine boytije from durban Phil rodrequies (sic)
  • BillybusterBillybuster
    March 2009
    some flowrider footage.. contests, fun sessions, run-in's.. write-ups etc...love the MAG!!!!!!!
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.