Wave House in Cape Town

• floris
    March 2007
    Hi there Kelly, im hafeez floris boarding for eight years now and stay in Cape Town. I'd like too know how do bodyboarding lovers like my self, start a huge project in creating an idea of a wave house in cape town? Because i see plenty of advantages too that... let me know how you go about doing it.

Site Suggestions 2,990 views

4 Replies

• Muggy Whitelaw
    March 2007
    I have also been thinking about the idea of a wave house in cape town. it would be the sickest thing ever but it might be quite hard to maintain and keep it going. you would have to have it at a large shopping mall like century city or the waterfront which attracts lager amounts of people already. not to mention how much the thing costs. but to see it happen would be amazing! if you plan on doing it, i encourage you the whole way.

good luck
    mug3
  • JdV
    March 2007
    Although it would be really cool,flow rider's are a huge thing to maintain and run, and from what I've gathered,and I know a lot of people who have worked there,the Wavehouse in Durban runs at a huge loss every year,as it is just not possible to get a large enough number of people riding it,throughout the entire year,in and out of season,to make up the huge running costs.

Basically, The Gateway shopping centre keeps it running, even at a loss, because it is an attraction and brings people to the centre.So from that point of view it might be feasible.

Anyway,best of luck.
  • JmoJmo
    March 2007
    This idea is not even that new, I remember when the Plumstead brothers had almost everything nailed down for a Flowrider in Joburg and second phase in CT back around 1998 or so, and then their corporate sponsor pulled out... :?

The problem with these machines is that they basically have to be a big sell out and market themselves to all the people you would never ever see on a real wave. And as per usual, the guys with all the skills never have the cash to ride it.

It would be sick to have one here though, i do get all nostalgic about those 20 second barrels i got when i lived near Gateway...
  • Chinnychinchin
    March 2007
    20sec barrels?!.....nort bru, I rode a foamie for 20seconds at Big Bay....woooohoooo!!!! Can't beat the real thing.

Cape Towns got waves everywhere, I'd rather spend money on petrol to go get the real thing.......I go to Canal Walk to shop, not "surf".....money should be put into building a MASSIVE in-door skate park......with a huge sunroof......and a phat platform for all CT's kickass punk bands to rock the house, while the laaities lose teeth on the half pipe...ha ha ha ha

I was thinking about artificial reefs. How difficult would it be to build one in a place like Sea Point that gets heaps of swell and has existing reefs that could be "tweaked"? Imagine if a wave like Thermos was another 200m long? Or that wierd left in deep water, off that stormwater outlet, would be a perfect contest site.......

Spy Dude, that contest would be called "The DK KungFu Classic"......Phatist round-house-to-the-lip wins....
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.