Stupid Questions Dept - Posting Images

• Peter Lambert
    January 2007
    Hi Kelly... from experience and reading I know that sixty40 will resize standard aspect ratio images to have a height of 400 pixels if the image is greater than 400 pixels high. What I want to know is what is the maximum width one can use before re-sizing occurs? Much appreciated.

Usability Questions/Bugs 1,636 views

5 Replies

• KellyKelly
    January 2007
    Resizing occurs if the image has a width > 600px or a height > 400px.

For portrait shots it will resize to a height of 400px, for landscape to a width of 600px.

Included in the process is to resample the images to 75% JPEG quality to reduce file size so that it doesn't take ages to download photos. Typically a shot should not end up > 50kb.

This process does reduce quality though - but the pros outway the cons. This is because each time you resave a JPEG image, the JPEG image compression process discards some of the image data.

So for best quality uploads - make sure you save your image as 100% JPEG quality before uploading.

Optimal size is 600x400. For portrait shots - a height of 400px and any width < 600px.

And for any one reading this ... if you upload shots then learn how to crop your images if you are not doing this already. If you're not able to zoom in close enough with your camera but your shot are 3600x2400 pixels then simply crop your image --- you have plenty of pixels to lose there without compromising quality. This has the effect of zooming in. Resolutions required for web are so much lower than those required for print which is why you can do this.

Example ... here's one of yours truly ... which also shows that cropping can make the move look better than it actually was:

This is the shot before any changes.

kel_bhand_floater_b4_cropping.jpg

Changes made: Cropped, Auto Contrast & adjusted the saturation which helped as this shot was shooting into the sun. A bit of trial and error for this bush mechanic and you end up with this:

m_6632.jpg
  • JmoJmo
    June 2007
    I would like to know how to post an image from the gallery into a post in a forum.
  • Spy Dude
    June 2007
    Hey JMO....

Ok look above you will see a box with Img in it.

Firstly right click on the image you want > properties > and save the image path.. in this case i saved: http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n166 ... imsons.jpg

now i put the image into the forum: simsons.jpg

thats what the code should look like

results:simsons.jpg
  • ElementreeElementree
    June 2007
    If it's into this forum...

right click on the image, go to properties, copy address(Url)...jpeg

Come to where you want to post it on the forum and type...

[img]right%20click%20and%20paste%20the%20copied%20address%20here[/img]

ok got it?

m_9257.jpg
  • JmoJmo
    June 2007
    Thanks okes.
    Just waiting for my upload to be approved now...
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.