Tow-outs

• KellyKelly
    October 2005
    You may have seen Alistair Taylor's article under the SABA forum (October Update) mentioning that they are keen to introduce a few tow-out demos at the contests.

Since there are not many guys doing tow-outs in SA, I'd like to try find out firstly which riders have given it a go?

And secondly, we then need these riders to share a bit of their knowledge so that we can get the guys onto a steep learning curve if anything is to happen this year. So, if you could please share some hints let us know what moves you've gone for and any tips on actually landing back on the wave. Basically, would like this to be a place to share knowledge between the guys riding towouts.

Also, any precautions which should be taken? (I ruptured and lost my spleen getting too projected on a normal air - so the dangers just get magnified with extra speed and height.)

And obviously a generally accepted code of conduct would be good to set-up especially for anyone new ... nobody enjoys these jetskis out at your local when you're enjoying a quite surf so I would suggest spots which no-one surfs.

Thanks!

For inspiration ... here's a shot of Mathieu Desaphie which he sent into us. If you're organising a session - try get it captured and send it in to us.

Coaching 1,220 views

2 Replies

• SmTSmT
    October 2005
    Hey Kelly, I know a couple guys have been trying down in CT and i've attempted on 2 occassions in DBN (didn't actually ride though) but this is the limited info I picked up watching the guys who did get a chance:
    In DBN, better to do tow-outs at Blue Lagoon Jet-ski Beach BUT stay away from the other guys and you need a 4x4 to get a ski onto and off the beach.
    Try not do it in onshore conditions, even the slightest chop will slow you down!
    Your arm gets wrenched quiet a bit so try get the driver to sling-shot you in smoothly not cruise slowly then accelerate to mach1.
    You need to have a driver who knows about the concept of tow-outs, no point if he keeps towing you at a nice foamball he makes.
    Ummmm, thats all I know but definately amped to try again!
  • Peter Lambert
    October 2005
    Hankus and a film crew are looking at trying some "Jet Boarding" i.e. tow-outs in cape town this weekend if conditions come together... I am helping shoot video from water, and will see if I can glean any info on getting it right from the guys if they get it to work... the last time it was tried in Cape Town was with Gigs Cillier's ski, Logic, and some cape town guys. It was not very successful.... the waves where not glassy enough or hollow enough and there where a lot of teething problems... I think one needs a nice uniform beachie closeout type wave that throws cleanly and nicely. That time, Spex managed to get the closest to making it look good. You know what they say: Practice makes perfect... Watch this space.
    Ciao, Peter
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.