Yellow fin warning

• ryan
    March 2011
    http://www.wavescape.co.za/blog/shark-monitor/yellow-fin-warning.html

After taking one of the world's leading photographers on safari, he gave me his business card with a picture of him covered in head to toe in bright yellow scuba gear. I asked him why all the yellow- he said it's to help attract the sharks to take better pictures!
    I think that use the right "dress sense" in the water does help but as the article suggests, studies regarding behaviour can help aid better colour co-ordination in the water.
    However, that been said you can't miss me in the water- rasta coloured redley flippers, bright yellow board with yellow rails, white bottom, green and blue rashy :mrgreen: .
    I might have to change all that when surfing down in the cape... (" :lol: but seals are darks colours!" some one in the background shouts) :lol:
    "Come on sharkys, I'm waiting to take your picture!" :twisted:

Bodyboarding 1,011 views

4 Replies

• lyle
    March 2011
    Very interesting read, Especially since most our equipment is bright colours. Bright decks and slicks and bright fins.
  • ElementreeElementree
    March 2011
    Good read...and so starts the debate. Well pointed out by Ryan.

They say you shouldn't wear bright colours as there is strong suggestion that it might attract sharks. As Len from Reef/Science pointed out to me a few years ago...a diver told him about what he refered to as "yummy yellow"...and how he would never wear a yellow suit for diving as sharks were attracted to it...thanks Len for preventing me from buying a puke coloured wetsuit!

The flip side is that sharks primarily view boogers/surfers from below when stalking us and use the sun to silhouette our shapes. Shapes which are mistaken for that of seals or turtles and this is apparently why we have been mistakenly munched by various Johnnies over the years. Silhouette's are dark in nature and I don't know about you, but I can't destinguish much colour when glare directly into the sun.

You wear a yellow suit and yellow fins and besides from having half the beach in stitches with your choice of equipment you run a greater risk of being munched because you look like a prat. You wear a black suit and yellow fins and you look like a really tasty seal and get munched none the less. You wear a black suit and black fins and get munched for looking like a seal...damn this is a tough job.

Don't you wish their was a neutral colour that sharks avoided? Then we could all wear it and sharks would leave us alone...I'd pick purple...purple is a good colour. No confusion there...I mean seriously...besides grapes how many purple coloured foods do we, nevermind sharks, willingly eat?...don't mention aubergine's because they are only half purple anyway.

My advice...don't go hunting tuna, being hunted by sharks, looking like a tuna!
  • lyle
    March 2011
    Elementree wrote:
    Good read...and so starts the debate. Well pointed out by Ryan.

They say you shouldn't wear bright colours as there is strong suggestion that it might attract sharks. As Len from Reef/Science pointed out to me a few years ago...a diver told him about what he refered to as "yummy yellow"...and how he would never wear a yellow suit for diving as sharks were attracted to it...thanks Len for preventing me from buying a puke coloured wetsuit!

The flip side is that sharks primarily view boogers/surfers from below when stalking us and use the sun to silhouette our shapes. Shapes which are mistaken for that of seals or turtles and this is apparently why we have been mistakenly munched by various Johnnies over the years. Silhouette's are dark in nature and I don't know about you, but I can't destinguish much colour when glare directly into the sun.

You wear a yellow suit and yellow fins and besides from having half the beach in stitches with your choice of equipment you run a greater risk of being munched because you look like a prat. You wear a black suit and yellow fins and you look like a really tasty seal and get munched none the less. You wear a black suit and black fins and get munched for looking like a seal...damn this is a tough job.

Don't you wish their was a neutral colour that sharks avoided? Then we could all wear it and sharks would leave us alone...I'd pick purple...purple is a good colour. No confusion there...I mean seriously...besides grapes how many purple coloured foods do we, nevermind sharks, willingly eat?...don't mention aubergine's because they are only half purple anyway.

My advice...don't go hunting tuna, being hunted by sharks, looking like a tuna!

i prefer green grapes :lol:

i get where you going elementree. at the end of they day if its your time its your time. so this advise is more of a guideline than anything else. i think the biggest part is observation, if there is a lot of activity (diving birds etc) i would be weary to go in.
  • craigtrilivascraigtrilivas
    March 2011
    I just got a board with a lumo green bottom..... Am I as good a dead?

Dang :cry:

From now on im wearing my orange dots too...
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.