Wet suits

• lyle
    February 2011
    hey guys i been trying on a few new wetties. just looking around. i know the age old saying support those that support you. but i tried on almost everything. whats up with most brands making wetties with that piece on the back that you pull over your head and put it round your neck??? quicksilver, bbong and derevko are all made like this. does anyone have a suit like this?? doesnt it feel like its choking you???

i was in PE and jbay last weekend so got to look at them all. just need to find a place to look at reef, im hoping they still made the old school way. i liked the derevko suits but not so sure on that funny piece. :?

Bodyboarding 999 views

11 Replies

• ElementreeElementree
    February 2011
    The first thing I would suggest is to buy a local suit and support SA brands. Contact them directly to locate your nearest stockist.

Regarding the neck piece. Both of my suits have it and although it felt a bit funny when I first put the suit on I couldn't feel it once I was in the water and it hasn't really crossed my mind since. As far as I know it is suppposed to help in a few areas. It is like a built in rash vest to prevent friction around your neck and offer a bit of extra warmth for your lower back. High end suits use it as a barrier to channel out excess water through vents found below the back zip.

Like I say...the neck piece isn't really an issue for me but if you really don't want one just contact the manufacturer and find out which suits they make that don't have neck pieces and how you could go about getting one. If that is too much effort buy one with the piece and cut it out if you're really not keen. :)
  • lyle
    February 2011
    hahaha! elementree, i thought about cutting it out. i found a 4:3 reef triflex this weekend and just bought it straight away. it is SO flipping comfy!!! and it didnt have that neck piece :D

so ja, im stoked to try it out :D

now to pray for some offshore and swell!! been so lank kak here in EL!
  • Super_Dude
    February 2011
    haha!! No man!!! dont cut it out! well you wont cause you already bought 1... But it feels weird when trying on, but like Elementree said... Once in the water you dont even know about it.. Just remember to take it off before trying 2 get the wetsuit off.. haha.. My wetsuit just gives me a hell of a rash on the back of my leg.. (behind my knee) :( Going to try vaseline next time... see if it works.. :)
  • ElementreeElementree
    February 2011
    Nice one Lyle.

Another useful pointer for anyone reading this and considering buying a new suit...

I always try get a suit that is very tight...I can fit quite comfortably into a Mens Medium suit, but go for a Mens Small because it fits like a glove with very few loose bits. Fact is that the tighter your suit fits the warmer it will keep you and it helps prevent rashes forming behind your legs etc...

Obviously this is all within reason and you shoudl still be able to flex freely in your suit without it feeling like it's going to tear. Try standing upright and touching your toes. If the stretch is ok around the small of your back then your're good to go...if it's too tight buy a bigger suit and phat up until it fits :twisted:

Good luck with the rash Super...vaseline does help
  • Super_Dude
    February 2011
    thanx man... Just a quick question. Cant i take it to reef for adjustments?? So that it fits perfect aroud my legs? I have short legs... lol
  • ElementreeElementree
    February 2011
    @Super - Best person to speak to about that is Len Bradford...email him to find out len[at]reef.co.za
  • Super_Dude
    February 2011
    Thanx Elementree . I am emailing him now. Lets hope for the best!! :)
    I cant take smaller than a large, already struggle to get in... haha..
    Will let you know the outcome...
  • Super_Dude
    February 2011
    He replied in 20mins AND they can make the legs shorter and weld the seams again... no more rash for me!!! :P
  • ElementreeElementree
    February 2011
    Nice one!

Say hi to Len for me...

• February 2011
    I currently own a Derevko Evolution. It's local and affordable. My suit started tearing around the chest piece and after a year of being too lazy to call Derevko, I called and they sorted it out for free. I've even heard of guys getting suits replaced, so Derevko's customer service is AWESOME. I even got a free packet of biltong at Derdesteen once from a Derevko dude.

Agent18 is also a brand to take a look at. The suits are awesome and They seem to be giving back to the sport with sponsorships here and there. Plus, they are made for Bodyboarders!
  • Super_Dude
    February 2011
    Reef is going to do my suit for free aswell :mrgreen: and i told the guy in what area i live so im gooing to meet up with him around here and he is going to take it in for me. :)

Reef is great!!!

Love the suits and customer service is like it should be!! big up to reef!!
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.