What equipment are you using and how good are you??

• Super_Dude
    January 2011
    Tell every1 what board, flippers, wetsuit you are using... And reasons for it if you have...

What level are you at? Beginner, medium, good, expert?

Favourite surf spot?

Think it would be fun/good to know?

Bodyboarding 1,696 views

14 Replies

• craigtrilivascraigtrilivas
    January 2011
    I ride a Science Mcarthy PE crescent and a MS3 bat tail.
    Wanna get a 100% DK board too soon!

Viper orange & yellow dots
    Also got an old pair of mismatched H2Octo's which r cool too

Reef Air Fusion wetsuit (seeing its day now tho...)

I would say Im proficient but could not rate myself, that is for others :mrgreen:

I enjoy Llandudno, Derdesteen, Eerstesteen, Sandy Bay, Glen Beach, Camps Bay Shorey, Exposures, Sollies, Ganties, Koel Bay, Hoek (scared of the grey suits tho) and Town spots in Durban oh and Umchlanga sometimes.

I <3 bodyboarding :!:
  • SmTSmT
    January 2011
    Nomad Lackey 42" - I don't really prone much, DK is the way, hehe!
    Derevko 4/3 Wetsuit - also seen better days, time to get an Agent18 I reckon!
    Toobs Bluntcut - the BEST dk fins ever, period! Bought 3 pairs back from Hawaii the last time!

I know what i'm doing in the water.

Cave Rock, North Beach, Koeel Bay and Famous Last Words.

So amped to get back in the water, yeeeeeeee!
  • Inky
    January 2011
    SMT wrote: "I know what I'm doing in the water" - He OWNS the water man! :D

Yellow Science MS1 PE 41" Delta tail
    Reef Tri-Flex 4/3 wetsuit - To be replaced this winter
    Viper red dot fins, I also have a pair of PODS as spare

I can do inverts, spins in both directions and roll sometimes but I'm no pro! I come from the days when bodyboarding vids were still on VHS and had punk rock soundtracks! :D

Pringle Bay, Betties bay, Koeel Bay, Fence in PE when it pumps, Sards, and any fat shorey

Bodyboarding keeps me sane :)
  • ElementreeElementree
    January 2011
    Science McCarthy PP 41.5 Delta Tail
    Science Thomas Robinson PP 41 Cresent Tail
    Manta John Showell PP 42 Cresent Tail

Billabong SG5 5/4/3mm - brand new used 5 times or so...got it cheap (R1170) cos it's lank warm

Viper Yellow and Orange Dots because they make me look like a ninja duck and they are powerful!

I don't ride enough anymore to have a rating...but I rate I'm pretty fat (literally)...ha ha

Fave waves: WES KUS!!!
  • ronald911ronald911
    January 2011
    I ride a 41" Thor (Darren Halse's boards)
    Reef Spring suit.... I live in Durban, not really necessary for a Full suit!
    a pair of Cphynz...

I can do forward spins, landed 1 or two inverts, and sometimes rolls. Mostly I'm just on the hunt for barrels... def not a pro or contest bodyboarder. Been starting to get up on the knee lately.. Loving it!
  • Jared HoustonJared Houston
    January 2011
    I ride a Turbo V limited edition 41 inch crescent tail with deck contours and personal stringer system. Out of the 9 boards I have had from Turbo over the past 11 months this is by far the best one and will be availiable in stores June'ish.
    At home I use a Zion 4/3 flux steamer or my 3/2 Flux steamer. The 3/2 does the job but the 4/3 is by far the warmesr suit I have ever used, you can order them through [email protected].
    I use Ally Swim Fins which unfortunately are not availiable in SA, your best bet is to order them online from www.emeraldsurfcity.com.au and have em shipped over, if you and you friends do it together you can cut shipping costs!

That being said, be sure to support the companies supporting BB in SA!The only companies not doing so are NMD, VS, CHURCH hill, anything else is good!Go mad!

Keen to hear what everyone else is riding!
  • craigtrilivascraigtrilivas
    January 2011
    Hijack :twisted:

Sorry guys but I just had to....

@Jared: in ur opinion what size prone board do u think I should be riding?

Just interested in gettin ur pro opinion as I have been riding a 42 for most of my life and been just gettin by on it.... and cos u know my build, height, weight etc... just feels like its a tad too big but the smaller boards I have tried seem too narrow... shoooooot!

Ok unhijacked :mrgreen:
  • Jared HoustonJared Houston
    January 2011
    Yeah sorry about not getting back to you man!
    42 is most likely to big man!The belly button thing is a hoax and you can easily ride something within 10cm's of your belly button either way..

Your shorter than me and I ride a straight 41 bra!Bigger boards are easier to learn stuff on, more surface area but I have moved back to a smaller board now that im confident at everything!
  • Rowan C
    January 2011
    I ride a custom rossi 41.5, have ripcurl fins that look like a vaarlie should be wearing them but work well, and a reef spring suit (I live in Durban and a spring suit is all I really need.

I'm not great. I can forward spin, just started landing reverse spins, roll, landed a couple inverts, and still working on ARS's.

Some of my favourite spots are Derdesteen when its cranking, Melkbos,North Beach Durban,Lundudno,and I really wana ride the Plett Wedge but havent gotten there yet. I can't drive yet so I'm subject to where we go on holiday when it comes to missioning for waves.
  • shamierc
    January 2011
    just got me a manta phoenix 09/10' model - 41' crescent tail - lank fast board with a lot of projection

derevko 3/2 wetsuit - wel for the price i got it for - excellent buy - pretty average and rather comfortable

hot butterd fins - soft and spongy - really feels like a sock on my feet - not sure about strengh tho - it seems the blades needs to be more stiff

mmm...wel, im a falsebay local..so it would have to be 3 key spots; Kbay, the Reserv and Hoek mainly.

All the best to the saffa boyz up in Hawaii - Go Jerry!!

Amphibian
  • lyle
    February 2011
    Im from EL, ride anywhere from in town to East Coast spots so long as it is working! we dont have crowds!! haha

I ride 42" Rossi Tron and 42" Rossi custom with bat tail and double stringer system and super light! fastest board i ever rode!

I wear a Ripcurl 4/3 suit which i got on a sale for R800 in jbay!!

viper yellow dot fins.

I can spin both ways off lips & shoulders(just not in the air yet), invert, roll and learning to ARS.
    Love getting barreled!! :mrgreen:
  • Kyle CabanoKyle Cabano
    February 2011
    Im from Strand in Capetown. Im currently surfing a Scicence MS5 3D core. Use a Agent 18 4:3mm full suit but will be switching to reef due to sponser commitments and using Churchill fins. Im not really in a position to judge my own surfing but i'd sayim good enough. I have been surfing for 5 years and i'm loving it
  • ryan
    February 2011
    I'm from the East Coast...bru! :lol:
    HB 42 Inch PP Virtue Stringer bat tail; that I have finally learnt to reverse on, and I cant wait to do my first reverse air! It has some elbow dents but I'm sure that if it was an older manufactured board it would have creased by now. Lower wide point has definitely helped to get reversing right, and @Jared i guess that's why pros ride smaller boards. But they generally ride bigger waves than the average joes so they can use smaller shapes.
    HB 41.5 inch PP Ringa LTD Stringer crescent tail; that is about 6 years old and is still a solid board. Definitely for the heavier conditions esp for those winter swells. It has a higher wide-point (than the Virtue) for more drive once your deep in the barrel. Raised elbow pads and rail grip has definitely added the years of life to the board, and definitely recommended for anyone whose buying a new board.
    O'neil 3/2 suit for winter and wetsuit top for those nippy summer conditions.
    Redley soft swim fins, for those 4 hour sessions. But probably need replacing soon.
  • Scarecrow
    February 2011
    Board = Science MS3...sickest board I've had in ages! (SNAP CRAIG!!!!!) :twisted:
    Fins = C-phynz
    Wettie = Xcel 4/3 (cheapie model :( )

Average surf junkie who has to work for a living.

Fav spots = KBAY! Dias, Hoek, Long Beach (when it actually gets good) and many other "secret" spots that require travelling and time.
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.