What equipment to work towards

• Dopeboy
    January 2011
    Whatsup everyone.

I've been bodyboarding for quite a while now but just whenever i was on holiday and so on, i want to take it a bit more seriously now and i'm looking for some advice on equipment. i'm about 185cm and 60 something kgs. I wanna go onto a new board but not quite sure what to get as the technology seems to have advanced quite alot since i bought my last board (2003 or so)
    Is there someone out there that could offer advice about a board that i could work towards getting?
    Thanks for your help

Bodyboarding 809 views

3 Replies

• ElementreeElementree
    January 2011
    Hey Dope...

There are a few factors to consider when buying a new board.

For you weight and height I'd say that a 41" or a 41.5 inch board would suit you perfectly. Your board should stand about 1 to 2 inches below your belly button.

Then it is a matter of what the temp of the water you surf in is.

Warm water - PP core (most boards come with a stringer which adds stiffness while at the same time offering spring which helps get speed right out of the bottom turn)

Cold water - PE core or one of the newer Dual or Sandwitch cores. I have heard some bad info re dual cores because as I understand there is a weak spot where the two cores are merged. Sandwitch cores lose that flaw because both the PP & PE cores are sandwitched together resulting in no major weakness in the board. Don't ever use a PE core in warm water...your board will bend like a banana and be pretty much buggered after a couple surfs.

In my experience PP cores are slightly lighter than PE cores. I used to ride in Cape Town and all of my boards had PP cores and I didn't really have too much of an issue with them being too stiff, but I will add that my next board will have a PE core. Mainly because I fancy a paddle out here in the UK.

Next up you have the choice of tail.

Cresent is the original and is tried and tested. Gives loads of hold on the wave.
    Bat & Delta tails are looser when turning & spinning and offer a little added boost when doing moves.

Tails are all down to personal preference, but if in doubt stick with a cresent. Also bear in mind that a Bat or Delta tail adds about an extra 0.5 inch to the length of the board.

Decks are either open or closed cell as far as I know. I prefer open cell and most boards these days are open cell.

IMO your best bet would be to scout around online for a couple tips on choosing the right bodyboard because there are a few websites that offer basic info...

After that there is a South African Online Bodyboarding store run by boogers for boogers - http://www.factory7.co.za - they have a toll free number you can call 0800 373836 for advice anytime...and trust me...they know what they are on about!

You never know...they might even hook you up a schweet deal!
  • lyle
    January 2011
    Elementree is spot on with that advice :mrgreen:
  • Dopeboy
    January 2011
    sweet man thanks a lot for the advice, definitely helped me a lot.This site is best
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.