Hi hi, probably a stupid question.... :-)

• Super_Dude
    January 2011
    Well, went bodyboarding once and I love it!! Went to big bay yesterday. Had loads of fun!

I was just wondering... How long do you sometimes get hold under when wiping out? I saw some movies on you tube
    and the wave are huge!! Any1 almost drowned from wiping out??

Where can i find a decent board for a good price? Dont want to pay too much though. I can get a Reef wetsuit 4.3mm for R1100 and flippers around R250 - R300.

What should I look for in a wetsuit, board and flippers?

Thanx for the time.

Bodyboarding 842 views

7 Replies

• Inky
    January 2011
    I once got held down for like 5 minutes :mrgreen:

No just kidding, maybe a few seconds, it feels like eternity but it's because we panic. Just chill, I know it's not easy but the worst thing you can do is fight the wipe out. Wait for things to settle a bit then swim up to the surface. It's not easy I know. You won't just drown from just wiping out on and average size day, unless you bump your head and you're out cold. So always cover your head....sounds lame but it's become a habit with me. The guys that take on the big wave spots usually run the risk of just drowning, I mean they get held under so long that they run out of breath. Doesn't happen often but it does happen, I'm talking about large waves here, like 15ft plus. So don't worry, be more concerned about relaxing when you wipe out. go to a happy place, focus on pushing up from the bottom and go with the flow, and protect your noggin! Oh and keep fit, the fitter you are, the easier it is to take the big ones on the head.

As for your gear, have a look at this thread

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2557

Enjoy! :)
  • Super_Dude
    January 2011
    I don't think I'm doing tooo bad... Haha!
    I bought the Nomad Spex from Chraig and
    Went and bought me pod flippers today...
    Are they ok? They fit comftable and I like
    The material... Going to try it out Sunday.
    Now just to get my wetsuit... :-D
  • Inky
    January 2011
    That's great news!

Yes POD's are just fine, I have a 2nd pair I use when my Vipers start ruining my feet. I know a few dudes that use them full time and they great.

Cool man, glad you ripping it! :)

Make sure your wetsuit fits snug, if it's to big it will practically engulf half the Atlantic by the time your session is over. It must almost feel to small, you get used to it don't worry, that way it seals where it should and keeps enough water out.
  • Super_Dude
    January 2011
    I go to Big Bay all the time cause you can hire stuff there at the surf shop.
    The Reef, Large wetsuit fits great. Theres just sometimes a bit of water around my ankles. Not too much though...
    I paid R280 for the pods... The 1 that looks the same both sides... I looked at the skew 1s but didint know what it was used for ?? Tricks?? I dont know... oh well...
    I tried the Vipers on aswell, but uncomftable!! :x
  • lyle
    January 2011
    i love my vipers. they fit awsome. bit sore on the ankles at first but i reckon thats because they give more power.
    sounds like you loving the sport though, so keep it up bru!
  • Inky
    January 2011
    haha no all fins serve the same purpose, some have different shapes but they all do the same job. The skew ones will work just as well.
  • Super_Dude
    January 2011
    Ahhh!!! I liked the skew 1ns! They look mean! Haha. But I have leka fins now so all is good! :D
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.