the eldest boy is a body boarder, likes to rumble and tumble
    he's been dry docked for a while hangin out in the bush
    seeking tips for thriving in Jeffrey's line-up and reef

Bodyboarding 1,069 views

3 Replies

• JfreakBdog
    January 2011
    Hey
    I stayed in jbay for the last year doing a gap year programme and i surfed most of the spots.
    There are quite a few spots, but i found the best to be the steeper, barrelling waves, cos we bodyboarders can pull into those :D
    My fav spots are: Tubes, Coins and Supertubes. Tubes is right of Point, and Coins is right of Tubes. Supertubes can get busy so on a cooking day its sometimes better to go to Tubes or Coins if you want more waves. Not many surfers go to Coins cos its steep and cos Point and Supers is so close. Magna tubes is one of the only waves i havent surfed, but i think it also gets good.
    I like Tubes and Coins cos they arent as crowded as the other places and the waves can barrel nicely with quite a decent section.

Places you'd wanna check out:
    Supertubes: very fast, steep, barrels. Easier to ride the tube on bigger waves
    Tubes: Fairly steep, nice lip, can barrel
    Coins: Great barrels with right conditions, steep, nice lip
    Point: Not huge barrels, gradual sloping wave good for spins/ dk
    Albatross: Gets nice with the right conditions- steeper, barrels
    Kitchen Windows: Gradual sloping waves, slower breaking

There are so many breaks, theres quite a range to choose from. Just go for preference :) also, when the waves kinda suck, Delfini and Main have some really fun shore break with close-out barrels.

There's my 2 cents, hope it helps a bit!!
  • Sambo
    January 2011
    Thanks Jf.....
    I will send my son the link to your notes.
    Good info with lots of stoke.

Any tips for entering and exiting the ocean for a body boarder?
    I know that reef and the key holes are tricky.

He should be one happy Buffalo after snorting the sands of Namibia for two years.

again, many thanks for the wisdom
  • JfreakBdog
    April 2011
    hey
    entering the water: it does depend on the spot, points are fairy easy to enter because you can just walk out on the rocks, jump off them and paddle to where you want to go.
    Point and Supers have gulleys where you can go in, at high tide a lot of the rocks are covered by the water so it helps to know the rock terrain setup for safer entry and exit (knowing your entry and exit points really helps), if the rocks are sharp or slippery at a spot, i put on my fins for grip and protecting my feet. Understanding water dynamics is important for efficient paddling- the water push and pull and wave action- if you can use the water to help you move you can save energy and time.
    Shore breaks- they can sometimes take a lot of time and effort to enter if the waves are big, just make sure you can duckdive! Its great using rips to get out to the back- saves huge effort and time. just go out where there seems to be a "line" of water moving out to the back, in the line the waves dont break as much and the current is stronger.
    hope that helps!
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.