Travelling to South Africa

• Rohan
    April 2010
    Hey everyone,

I'm a 21 year old Booger from Cornwall / England. I am just coming to the end of tripping around Australia and NZ. Its been so sick!

I am planning on traveling to South Africa and either getting work there or spending 3 months there at some point in the next year.

I am looking for any advice about:
    The best place to go for waves?
    What time of year to go?
    Where not to go?
    Weather it is easy to get work in South Africa ? (preferably as an Electrician)
    What kind of visa I would need if I was going to get work ?
    And any other advice that may be useful to me ?

Feel free to email me
    [email protected]

Thanks Heaps!

Rohan :D

Bodyboarding 806 views

3 Replies

• lyle
    May 2010
    hey man! for visas and stuff just google south african work visas. loads of stuff on the net! iv seen it but never read it when i wanted to travel out of SA.

work wise, we have a BEE or AA system. basically black people get looked at first. but if you qualified or been in the trade for ages you should find work. especially as an electrician. i stay in one of the smaller cities, east london, and theres always ads in our local papers for electricians. so i reckon you should be sorted.

waves wise, anywhere along our coast you bound to get waves!!! personal opinion, i say durban in the winter and cape town in summer. sure we get better surf in winter all over sa. but cape town in winter just reminds me of the uk!! such kak weather. and durbs is TOO HOT in the summer. here in el we have alot of good consistent surf with absolutely no crowds and our weather is good. we half way between dubs and ct.

again personal opinion. cape town has plenty waves most are really good-water is freezing. durban gets really good and water is super warm. EL is the in between of the two. you get warm days, you get cold days most of the time not too bad.

good luck bro
  • runisl_traveller
    May 2010
    Hi all,

I'm a 25yo booger from Run Island living in France since two years. I'll be in Cape Town from May 15 to 28 for work but I've been told that May/June was unfamous months for surfing in CT due to sardine run.

Is it real ? Do you advise me to take my board or not ? (I'll rent a car and have 2/3 hours per day for surfing.. alone).

Thanks for your answers, and this helpful forum !

Regards,

Pierre
  • lyle
    May 2010
    Bring your board mate. you wont surf alone in CT. always someone out!
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.