No youth support!

• April 2010
    After receiving a large stack of aussie and american magazines(2 Movement issues, 2 Riptide issues, 1 issue of Bodyboarding), I noticed one serious difference between them and us. They seem to have a far greater support basis for young riders. I saw plenty of sick photo features, ads, interviews, all with riders around 17 or 18 :shock: . (as well as videos, where groms have full sections) and they have a thriving industry with plenty of talent coming through the ranks and dominating.
    Comparing that to my issues of sixty40 which have featured interviews on only two u/18 riders :shock: (I think it was ratt and terence pieters) and relatively few photos. It was the same in the Contest write ups, where juniors and boys receiving 1 or 2 paragraph at most.
    And it's not as if our juniors are not worthy of coverage- they usually have more riders in their division than pro and junior riders regularly fill the top 8 (and even final) of the pro division in our compos. I remember Jared Houston recieving quite a lot of backing when he was 15/16 from the old logic mags(taken on trips etc.) and I think that probably helped him, look where he is now.
    Just my 2 cents but maybe we need to support the youth more, maybe have an 'next best thing' sort of feature. Cos the youth are our future. :D

Any insight from Doclach (on Aussie groms like Tom Rigby) or opinions by Jared on this would be sick. :D

Bodyboarding 1,305 views

27 Replies

• Jared HoustonJared Houston
    April 2010
    Hey mate.

I support what your saying in that,I think getting to go surfing with the bigwigs of Saffa Bodyboarding definitly helped me build a media profile from a young age.

I would gladly take the time to go on a day trip with an up/coming grom and a photog for a mag feature.
    Maybe the readers can put forward some names and if there is enough interest Sam and Kru would be keen on it!
    Get the ball rolling,il start by putting forward Aden Kleve.

Go wild
  • Spy Dude
    April 2010
    I know that in the stand up world (cos i work in there) that the industry focus is currently on the groms. We have run some serious slideshows in the last couple of weeks on lighty standups that are ripping it up. Look at Monoa Robb from kommetjie, he is only 7 yrs old and we ran an entire feature on him. Then the was the Hurley Super Groms feature where Jordy Marree and his buddy Ethan Fletcher when they got their sponsorships... Hurley pushed it hard on us, bomb and zag... Groms surfing is THE FUTURE! so is chicks, but not as much as groms. There is lank bucks in the sport... we have just been marginalized.

The bodyboarding industry is pretty myopic cos of "lack of funds" the age old excuse. If anything by pumping money and exposure into groms you are ensuring the future of the sport.. thats where the real "development" lies... but i guess actually paying a photographer for his time, sponsoring a 8yr old rippa and securing a few pages of advertising in sixty40 over say 5 editions is JUST TOO MUCH TO ASK FROM THE SOUTH AFRICAN BODYBOARDING INDUSTRY... and in anyways, its will detract from that new 4x4 and 2nd holiday house that's just been bought.

Spys rant is over.

• April 2010
    Exactly! Look at how the Juniors are owning the Pro division. Groms are the way forward. There are plenty of young riders who would be perfect for a feature, You can even do 1 an issue or take at least 3 or 4 on a trip.Lets stick to the guys still in Juniors or lower. To jared, here are guys I would put forward-(in no particular order)

1) Storm prestwich- Boosts big and has got great compo results
    2) Adam Waites- Made 2 PRO finals in two events :shock: (SAs and Plett) made the Juniors final at both those events, and won plett.
    3) Andrew Raath- Super solid with consistently good results and some sick shots
    4) Tristan Roberts- Tiny little grom with massive skills.

But the most these guys have got is 2 sentences in sixty40? :?
  • lyle
    April 2010
    i dont think we could have as many youngsters in our mag as riptide has for a few reasons. one our mag is smaller and to be honest, i think its cool seeing the groms ripping and seeing whos up and comming, but the focus has still got to be on the pros as they the guys people look up too and want to see busting huge. plus they being sponsored and they need the exposure and so do their sponsors need that exposure.

so in my opinion, one article in our sixty40 mag would be cool. whether it be on one grom or a few groms. i just dont think our mag is big enough to have like 4 pages of up and coming guys. personally i dont think our mag is too bad because with the space they have they giving mention to as many articles as they can and i have honestly loved every mag to date. :D

keep em coming!!!

oh ja one more point id like to bring up. if a grom is given too much too early it can go horribly wrong in alot of ways. give them a mention, as they get older if they good theyll get more exposure.

these are my opions feel free to differ and enlighten me :wink:

• April 2010
    i agree with you. Sixty40 is super sick but it is much smaller. Therefore we need to strike the right balance between no support and too much support. While the pros need exposure, so do the youth so they can be tomorrows pros and our young riders are good enough so that they would not detract from the quality of the mag
  • snoopster
    April 2010
    1st of all shot for the word's outoftown mean's alot! 2nd of all i totally agree with the whole bigger guys taking younger rider's on surf trip's! I would be no where if it wasn't for the guy's like photographer simon heale(also a stuffing good but under rated bodyboarder) for taking me on trip's and for the bodyboarder's like jared houston alway's taking me on trips when his down in sa and jarret and rufus, they all push me and tune the shit outta me if i dont do wat they tell me to bodyboarding related(hit the section,take off on that wave) so yea older ou's must def take the younger guy's surfing...such a stoke to go surf with 1 of ur country's top pro's and all u wanna do is bust in front of him! Pushes the limits of the grom's! And i reckon jason fowler (15) needs some lime light,his def the future!
  • doclach
    April 2010
    Hey outoftown,
    Firstly I'll state that In my opinion sixty40 has struck one of the best balances around of all the mags. A sweet mix of riding variety, prone/DK/barrels/airs. sick article series for just the crew you're talking about in James Moolenschot's "The Project" plus a mix of features on both local and international content (recognising how global BB is) and them mag gives us sick shots of UNDERGROUND riders, a very rare feature indeed.
    What does need to be remembered is what 'support' is. Pics in mags are one thing, but don't forget how solidly sixty40 supports events and development clinics where these new blood crew ride. I totally agree with the fact that the up and comers are our future, on the rippy forum I developed an entire section just for these riders incorporated in the heading of 'underground'. a few kids have been spotted out of this and some are ones you see in the mags today.
    I would pretty much say word for word what Jerry said:
    Quote:
    I support what your saying in that,I think getting to go surfing with the bigwigs of Saffa Bodyboarding definitly helped me build a media profile from a young age.
    I would gladly take the time to go on a day trip with an up/coming grom and a photog for a mag feature.
    Maybe the readers can put forward some names and if there is enough interest Sam and Kru would be keen on it!
    Get the ball rolling,il start by putting forward Aden Kleve.

Always a man of action Jerry is, gotta respect that. It's about the kids getting upto a riding level where they can take some decent waves on and then getting under the wing of some of the big boys, getting a cameraman organised and getting HIGH QUALITY shots done. you mention rigazzzz (Tom Rigby) this is how he and a bunch of the other young crew got themselves known, going on shoots with the guys who already have profile.

Over to what Lyle said, I think in the practicalities of the space given and the broad coverage needed in modern day BB, Lyle is pretty spot-on.

Have a look at the image quality in sixty40, second to none - and lots of big, full plates (on a top quality board (paper) I might mention). the quality of shot you need for this is pretty high and it's hard , if not impossible for the young ones to get this level of shot.
    I'll tell you now, as much as good intention may be, if the mag runs poor quality shots, they will be bagged for it heavily. the groms have to get the shots and it will flow from there.

Grom development is one of my great passions in the sport, because they ARE the future of our sport. It's why i put the time in with riptide, because it has a focus on this area. I still froth more over someone writing, "I've just got into bodyboarding and realise i love it heaps and now want to get a better board, what should i get?" than a lot of other 'bigger' stuff. that could be the next Rigby/Garner/Luehman/Aden Kleve right there. give 'em a solid start with the best equipment and coverage possible and you have the building blocks for a good future right there.

As a side note - there is no reason you can;t use this very forum as an extension of the magazine. If you reckon Storm, adam Tristan and andrew are carving it up (which they obviously are. Make sure their profiles are well compiled in the rider section here. Next get the boys to get a resume happening. Pics, vids, comp results and spiel about themselves, aims and goals. Get the lads to write to sixty40 putting their case forward as to why they ought to be considered for a photo trip. Set up a thread on them in the forum here somewhere and get them noticed. we all love reading about boog, no matter what size they are.
    Finally, send me their resume and I'll happily put it on the rippy forum if you would like. It would be an honour to have some young saffas in the underground section my end.

Hope that helps a little, there's a lot of pressure on sixty40 being the only SA mag and they do a brilliant job IMO. Spotting gaps in the system and seeing what can be done is a good thing. Well worded and thought out ways to point this out can be productive and helps the crew behind what you see feel supported for improvement, not criticised.

Bring on the young-bloods, keep them running in local comps and getting results, get them on trips with the big boys when they're up to it with visually spectacular waves and launch points, organise a good photog or two that nail fresh shots, give it all time to develop and the future of BB is written in stone.

PS I get a lot of calls from companies intending to take new riders on, checking what their attitude is like (cos i get to hear/see/experience a lot), no one wants to take on a kid that is a pain. Make sure they know how to conduct themselves and some reasonable public speaking skills can go a mile too.
  • lyle
    April 2010
    doclach wrote:
    As a side note - there is no reason you can;t use this very forum as an extension of the magazine. If you reckon Storm, adam Tristan and andrew are carving it up (which they obviously are. Make sure their profiles are well compiled in the rider section here. Next get the boys to get a resume happening. Pics, vids, comp results and spiel about themselves, aims and goals. Get the lads to write to sixty40 putting their case forward as to why they ought to be considered for a photo trip. Set up a thread on them in the forum here somewhere and get them noticed. we all love reading about boog, no matter what size they are.
    Finally, send me their resume and I'll happily put it on the rippy forum if you would like. It would be an honour to have some young saffas in the underground section my end.

Hope that helps a little, there's a lot of pressure on sixty40 being the only SA mag and they do a brilliant job IMO. Spotting gaps in the system and seeing what can be done is a good thing. Well worded and thought out ways to point this out can be productive and helps the crew behind what you see feel supported for improvement, not criticised.

i support this idea. this site is where they should get exposure and launch their careers from. sixty40 website should be an extension of the mag. interviews, photos and news that doesnt fit in the mag (only so much can fit in a mag)should go up here under a thread or something so its easy to find and access.

• April 2010
    Thanks for the reply and I think you really covered the whole topic with a lot of depth. I think the idea of pairing up younger riders to pros to do trips is probably the best one regarding the kids getting exposure in the mag. Could we see this in some of the upcoming issues :D I think a high performance grom camp similar to the ones done in oz would also help...

I am very amped to start up a youth promotion thread so check that out :D
    Doclach said...
    Quote:
    Riders who I mentioned if you want to, and if its ok with doclach- email him your resume so he can give you some international forum support. :D

On a side note:
    Quote:
    but don't forget how solidly sixty40 supports events and development clinics where these new blood crew ride
    these clinics are not really for the big youth names but more to develop previously disadvantaged guys in the competitions area.
  • Wolfie
    May 2010
    Sixty 40 needs a grom section on the website
    Where all the groms can post videos and photos
    and each year they choose the best grom
  • dirtbin
    May 2010
    they can vote in the peer poll for top grom
  • doclach
    May 2010
    Here's what Movement mag is doing here in Oz at the moment. Total chaos, haha, but it gives an idea of what the young blokes need on vimeo (we pretty much all use vimeo here) in order just to get a look-in.

http://www.movementmag.com/_webapp_4672 ... _young_men
  • lyle
    May 2010
    thats some pretty sick footage for groms. loving it!! thanks doc
  • Wolfie
    May 2010
    yea sixty 40 should get something like that
  • Kyle CabanoKyle Cabano
    June 2010
    yeah I agree with the youth section, I know the sponsers pay for the adverts and that where most the pay comes from but what up with a full page derevko advert with a face of spex? nothing wrong with it but if the mag can do that im sure that they can put in a 2 page grom section per magazine. Thats just how I feel about it
  • Wolfie
    June 2010
    i agree with you kyle
  • _MeltingInAcid
    June 2010
    Hey Kyle, I thought about what you said and truth is, that is an advert. They paid for that space, they can do whatever they want with it... But after more thinking I decided to pick up just 2 sixty40 magazines out of random and out of my collection and this is what I found: Issue 3 contains: 1x front cover of Spex , + 1/4 of another page reserved of just spex's back, turn the page and, half a page used for Spex's invert, turn the page again and there half a page, slightly leaking over to the next page, spex's air reverse. Bottom half of that page is used for spex's dialog and experience's etc . Turn the pages untill Boom! another full page photo of spex tweaking a sick invert. Turn the pages and you will find another pic of him, although minute, turn the pages again and you will find half a page customX advert with him Dk'ing turn the pages then...End of issue 3.
    Issue 5 however, half of page 14 has been used for a potrait of spex with no shirt on, the other half is on his experiences in hawaii, turn the page and again an entire page and a quarter used for an air reverse of ...Spex. bottom page 22 has another pic of spex's invert at hawaii, also perhaps a quarter of the page. The entire page 28 is set aside for, you guessed it, a potrait of Mr Spex, turn the pages and there again, 2 different angle squences of spex doing the same ARS.
    Talk about balance!
    I feel that Spex is a great waterman, better then I will ever be, so Im not hating on him, or anything as such.
    I love Sixty40 and I will always buy it, btw when is the next issue due?
    Oh, just noticed issue 6's front cover on my wall, yes it is Spex,again.
  • bbuh
    June 2010
    OMG..that had me in stiches about the whole spex thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree....its looks like its a "day in the life of spex" magazine....oh and you were looking at only the pics OF him...dont forget the pics FROM him as a photog!!!!
    I agree.spex is a legend and always will be in SA bodyboarding....But come on....
  • Jared HoustonJared Houston
    June 2010
    I think its good that Specker gets heaps of coverage.
    And Mccarthy.
    These guys are spending money trying to put themselves on the map and If I were them Id be gutted senseless to see some underground back home getting photos run pulling into closeouts.

There needs to be a balance which I think Sixty40 pulls off super well,Half the underground images last Issue should never have been run and they did,in an effort to make a balance,why has noone brought that up!Guys this is OUR mag,we need to be building it up,not always finding negatives.

I understand there hasnt been an issue in awhile,this really sucks,but I can say in good faith that there would be a reason for it(most likely fulltime job) and it WILL come.
    For those subscribing however,I can imagine it must be a real pain not getting what you have paid for and I cant back Sixty40 on that one,but for those of us waiting for the mag too hit the stores we have no leg to stand on,Infact we are going to be the cause of the mag going under,if anything.Im buying a subscription to Sixty40 this week,whether I never see a mag or not,I want to be a part of Supporting our local industry!
  • ElementreeElementree
    June 2010
    On the mag front.

The next issue is complete and has recently gone to the printers so it shouldn't be too long before subscribers receive their copy. The rest of you will have to wait...because...well...you don't subscribe!

Jerry is correct in what he says about subscription. The more subscribers the mag has the better the chances are of the bigger advertisers buying space. When considering advertising the first thing they look at is the number of subscribers a mag has because it means that a certain number of people are set to see their advert. So come on guys...invest some pennies and help sixty40 mag grow.

Follow this link to subscribe - Sixty40 subs
  • craigtrilivascraigtrilivas
    June 2010
    Ja I agree fully fo sho on all of the above from Jerry and G dawg.

Advertiser ask one question, how many subscribers u got?

It's as simple as that, the more subscribers the more investment and that equals more content, more stoke and bodyboarding blowing up!

U think Riptide got as big as it did without this kind of support?

Personally I feel that South Africans, although we have sooo much stoke etc..., are lazy in general (in this type of vibe) and expect alot whilst not committing themselves 100%

It doesnt cost much at all to subscribe, if you dont have a credit card ask your parents and you can pay em back wit cash.

Also look at it this way, if you need to take a No.2 and wanted a mag to read but could only rent it for the time you spent on the loo. For arguments sake we will assume that you are pretty regular and you take a dump every day. How much would you be willing to cough up to rent the mag to read while you make that long distance call???

I would be willing to rent it for about R2 or up to R5 a pop depending on the establishment and quality of equipment.

If you add it all up at the end of the day you would have paid far more (R1825 in a year @ R5 or even R730 @ R2) to rent that mag.

Guys.....a sub only costs like R100, what does that actually get you these days??? Not much at all.

I think its well worth it okes :mrgreen:

PS: sorry about the wierd and perhaps graphic example but hey, I needed to get my point across with a practical example that we could all relate to :lol:
  • Kyle CabanoKyle Cabano
    June 2010
    Yeah man I totally agree that they deserve the exposure and stuff but if you take a look at the riptide there are way more underground riders. I think if you were to ask anybody about the sixty40's they will all agree the previous issue was by far the best one. If the mag only focuses on the already pro riders its almost impossible for underground riders to make a name. In all the big ozzie mags most of the people featuring arent the main contest surfers, they are just rippers.

SIxty40 is an super cool mag and I really enjoy reading it but would really like it if they put in more photos of underground riders. I know that picture quality is impotant and it must be a solid photo of someone busting but the photos selection must be fair and not just of the top riders. Even if it is going to cost more money, im sure most people wouldnt mind paying more for the mag and having more in the mag.

• June 2010
    It seems as if the young guys like me and kyle cabano commenting on this thread seem amped for change while the older guys see the mag as fine. both sides showing personal bias which needs to be overcome to get a balanced picture
  • Kyle CabanoKyle Cabano
    June 2010
    Im must also just add that all these negatives and stuff getting brought up are the main reason for the mag progressing
  • 4playbodyboards
    June 2010
    Listen, if you want to get into the mag you have to earn it, by that I mean emailing and posting photos of yourself pushing the sport of bodyboarding, because thats what Spex and McCarthy show with their inverts, air reverses and so on. I'm pretty sure if you send in a good quality photo of yourself punting a technical invert on a decent sized wave with decent amount of air, you might get a run in the mag, but if you send in shit don't expect to get a run, cause no one wants to buy and look and shit.
  • Kyle CabanoKyle Cabano
    June 2010
    yeah man i know. I have sent in lots of photos. Im actually a photgrapher and have sent in quite a few. I have also sent in a few sick shots that my friends have taken of me. I took shots at the capeclassic that will most likely be in the sixty40 sometime or other. But besides the whole photo debate. The photos isnt the only thing that we are discussing. I think a section , not just photos. Its something they do alot in the zigzag surfing magazine and I think it works quite well. Having a different grom in each issue of the zigzag.

Guys please dont take all of this that im saying as if im this grumpy guy with a grudge against the magazine. I will always continue to buy the magazine. Im just giving my bit of input.
  • craigtrilivascraigtrilivas
    June 2010
    I for one would vote for a random joe dirt section in every issue.

Purely so everyone who reads it can get to know the dude they may have seen hundreds of times (and maybe even thought he was a dick) and maybe even gain a friend, but most of all get to know who their brethren are in the end.

That way okes would wanna buy cos all their mates are in there and perhaps they are too :mrgreen:
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.