Delta VS Crescent

• kozkoz
    January 2010
    I am looking at getting a new stik :D ... back in the day I used to ride crescent tails when that was all that was around, but swapped to delta's for the last couple of years cause some one told me it is better.

what is the real diff between the two :?: :?: :?: :?:

Bodyboarding 2,454 views

9 Replies

• StJohnLombard_Bodyboarder
    January 2010
    hmmmm well if you've ridden both, surely you should know the answer?? :?:
  • Inky
    January 2010
    A delta tail will be quite a bit looser in your spins where as the cresent tail is really good for bottom turning which in turn gets you set up nicely to hit the ramp. You going to have to decide for yourself which is better according to your style of riding. I'm on delta at the moment and want to get a cresent tail board next time round purely so that I can decide and once and for all make up my mind. It's not really a case of which is better, it's more about what suits you. I'm no expert on boards but that's my 2 cents. :mrgreen:

I'd actually like to learn more as well....
  • kozkoz
    January 2010
    Inky thanks...
    and StJohnLombard_Bodyboarder. I was just asking for advice, so no need to get sarcastic.
  • papa-dpapa-d
    January 2010
    Well, Inky - Correct... You will be able to spin more freely on a bat tail than a crescent and the crescent does work better on the bottom turn, drawing a quicker stronger line, and there are a few more features that differentiate the tails which I will explain a few below... just adding to Inky's points..

A Delta or Bat Tail has a bigger surface area and not so sharp tail, making for a looser ride and smoother spins, (less hard or sharp edges on the tail to catch the chop or inperfections in the wave). Landings are also smoother when you land backwards from a move like a backflip or reverse air for the same reason...
    You will beneifit from riding the Delta or Bat Tail in long point break type waves, a flatter less hollow wave... giving you the advantage of a looser tail.

A Crescent Tail has a sharper edge or corner of the tail, and therefore makes for an easier cleaner line drawn on waves. With hte crescent tail, where you loose surface area you gain control, where you loose a more quick flat turn you gain drive... A Crescent Tail will give you better joy in Hollow Reef breaks or shallow sand bars as the Crescent enables you to drive quicker off bottom turns and hold the line that is drawn on these hollow waves, where as the Delta or Bat Tail may slide out or get pulled up the face of the wave on a hollow wave.

You may find having a quiver of boards with Delta and Crescent Tails would suit you well depending on where you live and the breaks you surf...
  • lyle
    January 2010
    papa-d pretty much covered it. i find cresent to hold better in the hollower waves. added to that on my cresent board i have 60/40 rails so i dont slide out at all! my bat has 50/50 rails. its way faster but i gotta really use my hips to not slide out on bigger hollower waves. so you just gotta get used to what you ride because ive used battail on ledges, you just gotta crank that rail in :wink:
  • kozkoz
    January 2010
    thanks papa-d and inky
    That settles it then. I will keep my science 9 with its bat tale and get me a new science board with a crescent tail... now only to decide which one..
    thanks guys.
    :mrgreen:
  • Inky
    January 2010
    Get the Science Mccarthy. See below forum:

http://www.sixty40.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2187
  • craigtrilivascraigtrilivas
    January 2010
    If i had my way I would have both a Mac delta and a Mac Crescent :mrgreen:
    That shape is the dogs bollocks i tell ya!!!

Wunce!
  • kozkoz
    January 2010
    I am looking at the McCarthy... and if I had the cash I would get both the crescent and bat :P
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.