Le Boogie Issue #2

Bodyboarding 763 views

1 Reply

• doclach
    December 2009
    Le Review:

As the rain smattered my windscreen this morning I gracefully turned the fresher than fresh pages of LeBoogie #2. Below the cliff, my local reef was suffering under the high tide. Instead of raging slabs, fullness and feral winds pervaded so I turned to a different fullness, that contained between the covers of Phil Gallagher’s latest creation.

LeBoogie #1 caused more than a ripple in the boog world. Spoken about in hushed whispers and passed from hand to hand like a secret note, yet creating a roar like the heli vision of exploding Teahupoo. Yet it left those of us that have been disappointed by the fluctuations of quality which have previously been inherent in the bodyboarding world wondering “Is LeBoogie going to consistently amaze and thrill, or is it like many others and a flash in the pan, a premature piece of excitement arriving too early and not able to extend the delight?”

For the answer to this scathing but too true question, I’ll refer to the pages of LeBoogie itself and the words of Mr. Mitchell Rawlins:
    Quote:
    “BODYBOARDING NEEDS TO STEP IT UP OR WE WILL BE LEFT BEHIND”.

More than this I will not say, I’ll leave it to you to read Mitch’s words on our beloved sport and where it needs to head.

However to have a powerful statement such as this entombed in your publication and yet not follow the same lines would be hypocritical to the greatest degree. There is much talk of our esteemed publications and where they are at. LeBoogie I say is at the very forefront of leading the charge of pure freshness and truth. The raw bones of honesty stick out of the mag’s spine like the ribs of youth.

Emulation is a strong theme in LB#2, not the clone-type emulation of becoming a sheep to that which we admire, but the emulation to inspire by raising the bar, using those we admire as a start point, not an end point. That is the difference between quality, gain and inspiration - and ‘averageness’. Referring to Mitch again:
    “The 720 air spin forward or reverse should be pulled every session where someone can nail a 360 spin”.

Again in the theme of emulation, in Boom’s interview of Winston McCall (PWD lead singer), Winston speaks of his early sessions with Joel Taylor (Mr Unite):

Quote:
    “I know for a fact I wouldn’t surf like I do if it wasn’t for Joel’s influence. In the water, he was a freak. It was always a case of thinking you had nailed the biggest move of the session, then Joel pulling out some freak move out of nowhere and putting you straight back in your place.”

Le Boogie has pulled the freak move and lifted the quality we are due but almost scared to hope for lest we are yet again disappointed.

Spirit of community is also in LeBoogie as the Jaago/4Play grom bash is covered with the focus not on our comparative ‘greed’ for images, but about the foundation itself. Think you’re tough? Read the accounts and words of Jaago helper Amanda Ryan and see if your eyes don’t mist up something chronic. It’s a quick click to http://www.jaago.com.bd/ if you’re game.

LeBoogie is also game to give its page space to the heroes of our past – who actually live in the present in everything bodyboarding we see through their powerful influences – subconscious or otherwise. Chris Stroh is on of these masters and his coverage of Doug Robson in “Analog” instantly puts you in a time machine. Bodyboarding can only move forward as strongly as it honours those in our history who have given us pillars of foundation to launch from like a screaming wedge.

Get ready for whiplash as you’re snapped back into the present with young Tom Rigby. From past to future, yet is it? The influences of Stroh will be inescapable in the psyche of one so young and shredding in the post-tension era. Will Riggers be hitting sections with the voracity Mitch Rawlins speaks of in the years to come or will be relegated to the staleness of fixed moves done ‘perfectly’ yet without the balls to step forward and RISK?

For the foamy homies we have “The Chad and Brad Rap”. There is no one can write you off like your mates – always remember that little life lesson. Harsh but so true. Hahaha.

The man who is everywhere at the moment, Dallas Singer gets the post-grad treat of a lifetime when he is given the design reigns of LeBoogie to create his own pages. Boogers are known for the artistic flair inherent in many riders and Dallas stretches his graphic designer wings, still dripping with juices fresh out of the cocoon, to show that our creativity is alive and as expressive as ever, albeit vicariously through Dall’s work in these pages.

Henry Hewish comes on board with some grand literary prowess and opens the notoriously hidden concept of the degree to which we admire our ‘supernatural’ hero riders.
    Quote:
    “The mysticism that derives from excelling in a sporting arena is that the youth are always going to believe the hype. That those in the spotlight have a supernatural presence or are clued into something they could only read about.”
    From Jake Stone locking away a pair of fins Winny gave him to jose having Mike’s name on his board in clear nail polish for years, the question is raised of what is wrong with lovin’ our heroes – man or no ? feeding inextricably on from this is the feature “Lackey 'Hearts' Roach”. No to spoil the surprises tucked within, but a series of quotes such as
    Quote:
    "I used to watch his sections on video everyday before I went surfing. I would crank them right up and run around the home screaming like someone possessed”
    will give you a taste for the steam within the folding quality paper.

Finishing off with a well written welcome from Toinz and his own emulations in bygone days you have a wrap. What? I reviewed it backwards? That’s how I read mags – don’t you? Damn sheep.

One last mention – pics – they’re in there smokin’, firin’, frothin’, pumpin’, flyin’ , carnagin’.......
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.