IBA world tour coverage

• KellyKelly
    August 2009
    In response to a comment to a comment by Doclach that he wished IBA would put more effort into their releases:

We have our own issues in South Africa with our tour coverage but this is the World Tour and I do not believe that the press releases are good or professional enough. Strip out all the pictures from the releases and you have a couple of sentences which make little sense without the images. A start would be to produce one proper press release following each IBA event which can then be syndicated through all bodyboarding and local media. I'm on the IBA press distribution list and I can't remember the last time I received a press release.

I personally believe that more focus should be put on media coverage. If you're focusing mainly on beach coverage then you are catering to the few hundred people at the event and not getting the news out to the thousands through online media, newspapers and magazines.

I tried to work through Mark McCarthy last year to propose using a PR company but no-one seems to understand the importance of this and the meeting was cancelled.

Personally, I think the riders themselves need to wake up and demand better coverage otherwise they travel to events and are not guaranteed any coverage - last year there was an event in Europe which did not have a final release.

Quite simply, better coverage will inevitably lead to bigger sponsorships and if it means that the prize purse needs to be cut a little bit then the riders should be prepared to take this risk.

But there are also other ways to raise money for media coverage. Put together a sponsorship package for the entire tour e.g. The Brand-X IBA World Tour and this sponsorship covers funding of a PR company, photography and video budgets.

Or - take the view that success at the top (IBA) will filter down through the industry, so get the industry to contribute by setting up an IBA industry membership which will allow the company to place the IBA logo on their products. e.g. IBA Approved Manufacturer. This initiative could also be used to promote the 'support companies who support bodyboarding' initiative.

The IBA proposal for the Grand Slam events included an amazing brochure but it is terrible that it is let down by the lack of the fundamental requirement which is a basic press release and with all the money that goes into these events it is frustating to see local club contests putting out better press releases.

I'm not saying they are not doing a good job, there are lots of positives - just this important aspect is missing the focus it needs.

BUT baby steps and my suggestion is to get a PR company to start with the basics and build on it. It can be put out to tender. I would suggest Olivia Jones who has very good experience in promoting and covering events in South Africa - it could be anyone but I believe South Africa would be the best value from any of the English speaking countries. You don't need to travel to contests to produce a press release as long as you have someone who can feed you reliable info and is as easy as getting the commentators to take notes of the highlights.

Phase 2 could be getting translators to produce Portuguese, Spanish and French versions of the release.

This has given me a bit of a kick and I'll try push for this again as I believe that even just one final press release sent out after each event with a few good photos will improve the coverage greatly. This is where coverage should start but we seem to have gotten ahead of ourselves with live streaming and every now and then the odd video update.

Bodyboarding 970 views

11 Replies

• doclach
    August 2009
    Sick post Kelly, couldn't agree more with what you've written.

Well written Press releases are vital to event and especially RIDER promotion. Every rider has fans, and it doesn't take much to work out that people are going to want to see how they went in their heat, conditions, the vibe - really a verbal picture of what went down.

It's not rocket science - I've nicked this one written by New Zealand photog Chris Garden (I'll drop you a note Gardy, thx man for the 'loan' of your writing) for the Arica final. This is just in passing for some kiwi crew, he just knocked it up as he was there:
    Quote:
    Sickest day of competitive booging that I've witnessed today...

Swell was 4-5ft out of the SW, lots of good left pits, not many rights. Both Jeff and Dave were dominant over Rene and Magno in their quarters. Stewart had a harder battle putting away Amaury, and Winny just pipped Tamega in an epic duel.

The Hubbard brother semi final was nothing less than amazing. Jeff starting with a good barrel and big ARS. He had priority but gave a set wave to his bro, thinking it wasn't going to be that great. Dubb busted two massive ARS's out of the bowl for a perfect 10, coupling it with a couple of good barrels too. The rest of the heat saw heaps of good pits, but in the end Jeff came up just short of a super stoked dubb.

The second semi, saw the last aussie hope, Dave Winny, go down to a hungry 46 year old from Hawaii. Throughout the rounds Stewart has showed his skill in picking the best waves and weaving through long barrels. Winny busted a good vert on a right and a big air revvy (unlanded), but needed a 9 point something, which was always going to be tough.

The final between the two Hawaiians, Dubb and Stewart, took place in deteriorating waves... less sets and a light onshore. Nevertheless, both managed to pick up good barrels early on. Stewart continued to rack up high scores with long left pits and rolls off the end. In the dying minutes, Dubb needed a 6.5ish for the victory, and lucked into a good pit. He busted an ARS out of it but didn't stick it, coming in short with a 5 something. If he had simply rolled instead, he would have easily secured the win! In the end though, Stewart was a deserved winner, claiming it the highlight of his career.

One of the reasons I've used this one is that (again) a lot of people commented (this time in New Zealand - that is the same view from 3 different countries so far) how much improved it was on the "official" write-ups. Also it is something that draws you in. I have read that so many times, but yet again when i copied it here today, I frothed on the atmosphere transmitted THAT is a good write-up.

Text is handy, cos just like I've done here, it can be easily re-transmitted, so all the sites can easily grab it off the e-mail and it is posted in a few seconds.

I worked with Fordy (Mark Fordham - event director) on the Shark Island press releases and you'll see there is maximum wording content and a few pics. Different format to the standard comp style, but say in round one, I specifically went through to make sure each rider received mention in some way, even though conditions were inconsistent (haha, but harsh :twisted: ) the effort was still made to express their rides. Photos were included, but a minimum so the report wasn't dependent upon them in any way. We also had personal discussions about the lack of even reasonable text reporting on the world tour.

Webcasts are one thing, but they are in the moment and you have to be free to watch them. They're transient. You can't get a frame grab or section recorded and say "Hi mum/dad/mate/blog here is how i went the other day." Text gets massive distribution across the interweb - and quickly.

what is Mac going to have to send to folks about his previous heat?
    Quote:
    ".... South African Mark McCarthy goin1,2"

I went to the IBA industry meeting here last year. It is impolite to talk out of 'shop', but suffice to say, as you've accurately pointed out Kelly, there is a big emphasis on beach attendance over other things, and I believe this to be a weak point for promoting sponsor dollars for riders.

For the Pipe comp this year, we (bodyboarding enthusiasts) received unprecedented TV news coverage across several channels in Australia. That was simply making some phone calls and co-ordinating emails, cos a mate here Sully (Glen Sullivan - Shark Island local) was competing AND taking sick footage. He spent hours editing together footage and uploading to FTP's after riding his heats. That was just 2 of us (not paid, just frothing) working together to share the stoke. But all that, as good as it sounds, is long gone. I still come across the text media reports and flip through the shots in mags (or if a mag is kind enough to give me a sick OTW shot of Jerry on the cover, that saves me having to use all those muscles to turn da pages.. haha).

Translators are necessary and dead easy to organise. Your ideas of centralisation are spot on Kelly. the word that seems to be continually forgotten is "world". it's promoted as a world tour, therefore riders and fans around the world deserve easy access to well written (and by 'well written' I don't just mean reporting results, something that is emotionally engaging and also gives each rider something they can send to their sponsor / friends etc that says "I was here and this is what happened" and they (the rider) can be PROUD of and reflects the massive efforts these crew we froth on put in.

Go for it Kelly, get that stoke on the fundamentals rocking.

Without fundamentals, the sport has no solid drive.

Doc
  • doclach
    September 2009
    Kelly FYI Gardy just wrote to me after seeing this - stoked his stuff was used and is totally in agreeance with what you've said bru.

I can't use excerpts cos it was a private e-mail, but in reference to the latest report, the words "the writing drier than a milkless bowl of Weetbix!" (weetbix are a dry morning cereal down here) did crop up ;)

Rock it man, you're onto a good thing.
  • Len at ScienceLen at Science
    September 2009
    i have been eating weetbix for the last 45 years in SA
  • johno
    September 2009
    Personally I am pretty glad some of those IBA compos don’t have better press releases/better coverage....
    I have been pretty embarrassed watching 1ft comps on TV (think Plett SAs) and also the other day saw some girls spinning in portugal (so gay!!! )... Being such a small sport I think it’s imperative that what the mainstream sees is quality or else we will carry on being labeled as a second to surfing , here in SA at least.

http://www.riptidemag.com.au/bodyboardi ... dcasts-plc

I think anyone would be able to enjoy the surfing seen in that clip..

stop the fret about trying to get coverage over floppy 1ft comps and maybe try getting more media coverage over 6ft wedges and beast pits. If we could see more of this stuff on mainstream im sure body boarding will take over, world domination style.

Cheers johno
  • doclach
    September 2009
    Hey Johno.
    personally couldn't agree with you more about lame 1ft floppy comps bru.

But the thing is that Arica was a pumping 12ft on day 4 (and that is a bitching, heaving beast into lava reef - the locals all have massive scars up their ribcages :twisted: ) and yet for Mark's heat in the report:
    Quote:
    Heat 4 round 6 was a difficult one with Ryan Hardy losing out to Mark McCarthy and Brad Huhges who both surfed consistent.

That's it.....

The surfing in that round was pure filth (ask Elementree, he was watching it too). Totally had me on the edge of my seat and that is all we get.

Beast pits is what we are talking about :twisted: :twisted:
  • johno
    September 2009
    Quote:
    [Personally, I think the riders themselves need to wake up and demand better coverage otherwise they travel to events and are not guaranteed any coverage - last year there was an event in Europe which did not have a final release.

/quote] its this quote i was responding to.

yeah Arica is how every comp should be!

I just don’t think money and media attention is always going into the right things here in Africa. For instance just say a bodyboarding company would spend 1000 moola on a budget for a beachie comp (like margate or wedge) where the waves are not even good. But the riders who are doing the comps get nothing from the companies because all is spent on trying to get media coverage instead.

I don’t bye any means think comps are bad but I think the companies put to much money into sponsoring the actual compos instead of the top riders (talking about SA). Trying to create hype around the compos when the waves are bad is like flogging a dead horse, if the surfing was exiting and the waves were good hype would naturally come.

Yeah I missing the point of the topic a bit.
  • johno
    September 2009
    sorry i dont know how to quote properly not a forum guru! hahah
  • mac13
    September 2009
    howzit Guys

I totally agree with you guys about the ONE foot poo,but its all part of the tour for now and they guys are working on getting better event on the tour for next year! As it stands now we have Pipe,The Box ,Arica ,Confital and they guys are working on a few other spots too. The media kills me too! I cant express how frustrating it is to get info off the websites about the contests! And as for all the shity webcast!! that is a killer for the sport!! The contest organizers advertise that they there will be a webcast and all it is a guys that sits up in the judging tower with a small shity cam without zoom...

anyway i am sure things will get better soon! I believe in it!
  • johno
    September 2009
    next year iba sounds ace
  • doclach
    September 2009
    There was a pretty rad comp that ran a few years ago in New Zealand. It was called "The Isolated Challenge". The organiser was a bloke called Hayden Parsons - we all call him "Goose". The interview on Isolated is on the rippy forum at:
    http://www.riptidemag.com.au/forum/view ... f=5&t=3318

Goose's own interview is at:
    http://www.riptidemag.com.au/forum/view ... =18&t=3160
    (some sick pics and in-barrel footage).

the reason i'm posting here is that there is a very relevant section to this discussion in the interview. Goose asked me to make it known because (quote from private email):
    Quote:
    "...cause something needs to be done about it! It's so bad!"

Anyway here is the relevant excerpt from the interview:

Doc: The Catlins area is in the middle of nowhere, yet you guys managed to do quality write-ups of the results each day on dial-up, as well as uploading photos and video. You did a way better job at it, IMO, than what is being done on the world tour currently with comparatively massive resource and technology. What are some of the struggles you guys went through getting all that happening in such a damn isolated place?

Goose: Yea I cant believe how bad the coverage of the world tour events is! Coverage is usually a day or two late, a couple of photos, a poorly put together video and one paragraph with results. No heart and soul. Capturing the vibe of an event is so important. You want to make people feel like they are actually there and what it is really like when Jeff Hubbard busts an air at 10ft backdoor. Seriously, it’s not that hard to do and the IBA and/or the people that run those events need a serious kick up the arse cause they are doing such a poor job of keeping the public informed about who won and making it interesting. I would love to teach them a thing or two! Haha. Anyway, rant over back to the IC - It was so important to have the media coverage. Since it was so isolated (hence the name) we wouldn’t have spectators and this was our only way to keep the sponsors happy. Each night Garden would edit the best pics from the day and I would tally the scores, edit some video to put up and do the daily write ups. It was a mission and I had to miss out on some of the fun times the guys had but it was really important to me to get pics, video and a detailed description of what has been happening – even if it wasn’t surf-related. Most nights I was so drained that I couldn’t put two sentences together but it came out all right it in the end. Internet access was always a massive problem down there. One year we had no option but to sneak into a well-known anti-booger standup’s property and steal his phoneline! Haha, that was sweet payback for years of being a cock to the Isolated Challenge. It would usually be midnight before I’d get back to the accommodation cause I’d be sitting there for hours waiting for pics to load! It was hard work but worth it and it’s what made the Isolated Challenge so unique and damn interesting to watch.
  • KellyKelly
    September 2009
    Goose wrote:
    Yea I cant believe how bad the coverage of the world tour events is! Coverage is usually a day or two late, a couple of photos, a poorly put together video and one paragraph with results. No heart and soul. Capturing the vibe of an event is so important. You want to make people feel like they are actually there and what it is really like when Jeff Hubbard busts an air at 10ft backdoor. Seriously, it’s not that hard to do and the IBA and/or the people that run those events need a serious kick up the arse cause they are doing such a poor job of keeping the public informed about who won and making it interesting. I would love to teach them a thing or two! Haha. Anyway, rant over back to the IC - It was so important to have the media coverage. Since it was so isolated (hence the name) we wouldn’t have spectators and this was our only way to keep the sponsors happy. Each night Garden would edit the best pics from the day and I would tally the scores, edit some video to put up and do the daily write ups. It was a mission and I had to miss out on some of the fun times the guys had but it was really important to me to get pics, video and a detailed description of what has been happening – even if it wasn’t surf-related. Most nights I was so drained that I couldn’t put two sentences together but it came out all right it in the end. Internet access was always a massive problem down there. One year we had no option but to sneak into a well-known anti-booger standup’s property and steal his phoneline! Haha, that was sweet payback for years of being a cock to the Isolated Challenge. It would usually be midnight before I’d get back to the accommodation cause I’d be sitting there for hours waiting for pics to load! It was hard work but worth it and it’s what made the Isolated Challenge so unique and damn interesting to watch.

Ja, I followed some of those events and it was impressive what these guys were doing and interesting to read the challenges they had - so really there is no reason why other events cannot be doing the same. I think the thing that stood out most for me is that it is hard work and I've seen too many times when the guys handling media are out partying while the press release sits on the back burner.

Sponsors aside, I personally think that if you've paid your contest entry fee and you see the media guy out partying then you should be able to challenge him/her --- it is obvious that too many riders are content to travel around their country or across the world and get next to no coverage from their win.
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.