Updating Judging criteria to move our Sport forward

• doclach
    August 2009
    I've posted this over in the Riptide forum, but thought it would be great to get some feedback from the Saffa crew, so posting identical copy here if anyone is interested on constructively commenting.
    the thread is on the rippy forum at:
    http://www.riptidemag.com.au/forum/view ... a55c9ed7d1 if you want to have a say there as well or look at responses along the way.

I don't know what the solutions are, have a couple of ideas, but as always by working together it is sometimes quite amazing what can come out. hopefully it is a conversation we'll be having over many months and beyond, as it is a permanent questions that the organisers of our sport need to be asking.
    cheers, here is the text:

Firstly let me say that none of the following is any dis against the judges in our sport who are a dedicated bunch giving their best on the given criteria whom I have great respect for.

What needs to be covered is “The given criteria” for scoring rides. Judges can only consistently work towards the criteria given to them. As it stands the current criteria for ride points in a comp is actually based on the stand-up (fibreglass surfboards) points system to a great degree. On a world scale, to my knowledge it hasn’t really been significantly refreshed or updated for something like 15 years (yep, that’s early nineties)

Riding has progressed a lot in this time, but not as much as it could, because I personally see the current scoring criteria as restrictive to progression and more and more unsuited to where the radical riding in our sport has been and is heading.

It is no point singling out individual riders or venues, as all these will change over time and we need a structure that can be cross-applied, this can also seem (whether intended to or not) like individuals or countries are being singled out, and that serves no useful purpose. If we could hear feedback from the DK crew on how this focused art is scored and how that could change, that would be pretty rad too.

Also it would be great to see some feedback for local comp criteria, as that is where the fresh blood of our sport comes from. I was speaking to a mate yesterday and he was saying at their local comp they innovated a scoring system where a roll or spin could ONLY get a max score of a 2 or 3 (from memory) and a good attempt at say an ARS, even if not landed successfully was scored well up from that , like a 5 to 6 in comparison, to try and get the riders to push themselves and not do the same lame and visually uninteresting ride moves over and over, nor to pay it too safe and try and bust big.

People want the sport progressed, that means we need to encourage and push riders to do riskier moves – actually I’ll re-word that to “allow riders to do riskier moves” as these men and women I know want to go large, but if you are working to a result of either points/money and are faced with a ‘safe’ (read often boring) move that will pretty much guarantee you set points as against something radical, which will be pretty much ‘penalised’ in the current system, the outcome is predictable. After all what would you do in the same situation?

Also it needs to come under consideration as to what is the minimum size of surf to run an international and hence what ought to be “world class” event in? Should it be run in poor conditions just because everyone is there, or should the hard call be made to say “The conditions are too small/poor to represent our sport and the abilities of our riders with any respect?”.

It would be good to hear from some of our overseas readers on this as well, as BB is a world-wide sport with shredders in every country and the broadest variety of views makes for a productive discussion on what is possibly one of the most important subjects currently affecting our sport and its ability to represent and encourage the talent that is currently with us and also surging through the ranks.

If we can build a better foundation of criteria for our sport’s progression worldwide, then we have the potential to grow and progress in ways never seen before. A lot of the sickest moves I see are in freesurfing, both live and in many of the photos from around the world I’m privileged to see. The gap between the rad styles here and what is being encouraged in competition seems to be getting bigger and bigger. In my opinion that is not a good thing.

There are personal opinions and views in this, these aren’t the focus or particularly important, what is important is opening up discussion that brings valid, well thought out suggestions and ideas on Judging Bodyboarding in a contest format in what is now, more than ever through the internet, a worldwide sport involving some great people and riders who in their hearts want the best and have the ability to blow our minds with what they can do.

Doc

Bodyboarding 585 views

1 Reply

• ElementreeElementree
    August 2009
    Great topic Doc...

As you know I put together an article over a year ago about the internationally recognised Basic Judging Criteria in order to assist our riders grasp a better understanding of what it is that they should be doing in their heats in order to impress the judges.

Follow the link if you're interested.

The Basic Judging Criteria reads as follows:

"A bodyboarder must execute the most radical manoeuvres in the critical section of a wave, with fluid linking and combination of manoeuvres, combining speed and power throughout. The bodyboarder who executes such manoeuvres on the biggest or best waves for the longest functional distances shall be deemed the winner".

As far as changing the Basic Juding Criteria is concerned I believe that the wording is 95% correct (see end paragraph), but perhaps (as you have already said) the maximum scoring potential of certain moves needs to be revised.

I don't believe that riders should be scored highly for incomplete ARS, Backflip, Inverted Air Revo etc...attempts because let's face it, the pro's should be able to bust flips with the greatest of ease - and believe you me, they can. If we score kids a 5 or 6 for an incomplete when they're progressing through the ranks they're going to be bleak when they surf their first pro comp and score a 1.0 for the same move they've been scoring a 5.0 for - an incomplete flip.

In my opinion the line has to be drawn somewhere.

I do agree with the fact that progressive bodyboarding needs to be scored accordingly and "old school" manoeuvres such as spins and rolls scored on the lower scale of judging - unless performed on the most critical section of the wave. It's a tough call because how do you compare the waves ridden recently in Chile to those competed on in Portugal. You can't, but judging still needs to be done irrespective of whether or not the world's best are competing in 10 foot bombs or 1 foot slop.

There is also a difference between an ars (lower case) and a Air Roll Spin (PHAT!). Rossi helped me loads one year with this simple breakdown, which actually helps with loads of other moves. Look at the first word in the moves name.

Air - how much air did the rider get and how much of the move did they complete in the air?

Like I have said previously, Pro's can bust flips on pretty much anything so when judging them one really has to be critical when seperating the Flop Air Roll Spins from the AIR ROLL SPINS. What judges want to see is full rotation completed in the air with the rider landing facing the beach on the open face of the wave and continuing with their ride.

For those of you who were lucky enough to watch the Hubbard brothers face off in Arica you'll know exactly what I am on about and for those of you who couldn't tune in here's a breakdown of what went down.

Within the first few minutes of the heat Jeff landed a sick Backflip and scored very highly, Dave applauded his boets (brothers), efforts and got up DK on the next wave as if to say well done Jeff, you owned it. He must have thought that he could never top Jeff's score and pretty much resigned to the fact that he would lose the heat. Little did he know that minutes later a set would roll through and Jeff, who had priority, would leave it thus opening the door for Dave to get a perfect 10. If someone was able to score more than 10 it should have been Dave for this ride. Solid set in the 10 foot region, if not bigger. Scooping bottom turn straight up to the lip and BOOOOM a high flying Flip full rotation in the air landing back on the wave facing the beach - as smooth as silk. He carried on riding and got another section BOOOOOM Flip number 2 almost as good, but done on a smaller section and the landing wasn't as clean as the first, but it was still at least a 5.0 manoeuvre. Dave couldn't believe his luck and claimed it so hard. For me I give the first flip a 9.0 and the second 5.0 leaving Dave with a score of 14.0 for that one ride - well we all know that can't happen, but still it was siiiiiiick!

I don't like seeing riders win comps by spinning and rolling their way through their heats, but it happens. Especially if conditions are poor, such as those found in Portugal recently.

Contests with fixed dates and fixed venues are always a hit or miss affair because no one can predict what the waves will be like when the dates are set. Not to single an event out, but just look at the Cape Classic 2007, 2008 and 2009.

2007 - weekend before the comp and Cape Town cooks...going off it's nut. Waves everywhere from the East to the West coast. Weekend of the comp. Gale force winds and weak swell. No waves anywhere other than where the comp was held and even then it was 2 foot at best.

2008 - What an event. Day 1: COOOOOOOKING Hoek...solid 4 to 6 foot bombs throughout the entire day. Some of the best waves I have seen for a comp absolute perfection in the eyes of both the riders and organisers. Day 2: Got Caves pretty good until the wind picked up 3 to 4 foot. Day 3(finals day): Clean 2 to 4 foot Caves - pretty much the perfect end to a great comp.

2009 - Flat, Flat, Flat...Day 1 postponed due to lack of swell. Day 1 started in sick conditions at Caves and they stayed ok throughout the day, but waves were a little inconsistant. Day 2: No swell anywhere and back at Caves we found 2 to 3 foot rideable waves but nothing to write home about. Conditions went poo later on and the comp looked like it was going to be a complete wash out with the finals held in 1 foot slop, but thankfully that wasn't the case and most of the finals saw some sick sets rolling through in the corner - the riders were stoked and the organisers were relieved.

You see...comps with fixed dates and even roaming venues can never be counted on to produce the goods and even comps with lengthly window periods sometimes fail to impress - not due to anyones fault, it's just the way things are. We cannot control nature.

I for one am more interested in seeing the top flight of our riders competing in serious surf, on waves of consiquence, and for this reason I would like to see a speciality tour set aside for this purpose. The tour doesn't have to be big - 2 or 3 events would be enough to start with. I know that in South Africa this is probably more of a dream than a reality, but I do feel that elsewhere in the world (Australia perhaps?), this is something well worth looking into. Events like the Cave Rock Challange, and this years Shark Island Challange are the way forward for our Pro's (especially in South Africa where very few of our guys can afford to compete internationally). These events are also a lot easier to market to the media because of their extreme nature, and the quality of shots/footage coming from them, and therefore this should be attractive to sponsors.

In SA this year we have had one such event and it would have been great to see another, but perhaps next year something can be done.

Back to the judging, and my final point. Bodyboarding is not like surfing in many ways and our judges do need to be aware of this. Bodyboarding, for me, is about catching the biggest wave in the conditions and busting 1 solid move or 2 if you're lucky enough (like Dave was in Arica). Sometimes I read the Basic Judging Criteria and think that perhaps certain parts of it lean more towards surfing than they do to where bodyboarding currently is. I tend to think of guys like Kelly Slater riding for miles at J Bay doing cutty after cutty, snap after snap and floating a couple of sections inbetween before finishing off with a weak air floater effort and scoring a 9.0. I suppose that it all depends on the wave being ridden as to how many moves can be completed, but I'd rather see a bodyboarder take off at J Bay, pull into the barrel and boost the sickest tweaked invert or twisted flip as they exit the pit - over and done with 10 point ride thank you very much.

Next.

It's kinda like the difference in cricket between a 5 day test match and 20/20...one is a hell of a lot more exciting to watch.

But then again...I'm just bias.

Happy days.
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.