PE vs PP

• Kyle CabanoKyle Cabano
    August 2009
    I live in the strand and im looking to buy the Nomad glen thurston PE, summer is on its way and water gets a bit warm at caves. whats your guys opinion on PE or PP this time of the year?

Bodyboarding 5,519 views

7 Replies

• doclach
    August 2009
    Hey Kyle,
    some of the Nomad boards down here in Oz have that new EFC core. The Glen Thurston model is one of them.

I'm rocking the EFC core in 16 degree water at the moment (I ride PP in summer) and am pretty stoked with it. do your stockists over there run that core?

EFC is a nice compromise in between PE and PP IMO.

Cheers,

Doc
  • SmTSmT
    August 2009
    Give Derek from Factory 7 a call, he'll point you in the right direction:
    Toll Free: 0800 FSEVEN (0800 373836)
    or just e-mail him:
    [email protected]
    They are having some crazy specials at the moment, go check it out
    http://www.factory7.co.za
  • ElementreeElementree
    August 2009
    I second what SmT and Doclach have said, but here's my 50c.

There are loads of helpful articles online about the differences between the two cores and here is just one example written by Factory 7 frontman, Derek Footit. Just click on the link and have a read.

Equipment Series > Bodyboard Cores

For me the choice between the two is down to personal preference. I used to always ride boards with PE (Dow) cores until about 2 years ago. Coming from Cape Town it seemed like the logical choice. PE is suited to cold water, as you obvioulsy know, and I always thought that a board with a PP core would be way too stiff - until I tried one.

I now only ride PP core, and that's on the West Coast. But I am itching to try some of the new developments coming through where shapers are combining different types of cores to construct a hybrid board. You've probably heard of a few like the type Doc mentioned as well as the Dual, and now Triple cores...

The reason I choose to ride PP is performance. It's lightweight, the PP boards I have are thinner than my PE boards and I get enough flex out of the PP core to enjoy my surfs. PE boards just feel bulky and heavy since I started riding PP boards. But a huge thing to consider when buying a PP board is that they apparently don't last as long as PE boards (I suppose if you ride like a pro that might be the case, but still it's worth pointing out), so if you're looking to be on the same board in 2 years time then you might want to opt for the longer lasting PE board.

In my opinion the water temp at Caves probably won't have much of an impact on a PE core. It might get a little more flex on the really warm days, but other than that it won't be too much of a negative. PE cores do not last in places with water temps like Durban. I once went up there with my trusted Mike Stewart Mach 7-40 (Dow core), and it was like riding a banana. I came back with a kazillion deck creases.

Pick up the phone and give Derek a call...he knows way more than I do and like Shaun says - they've got some insane specials on at the mo.
  • TiaanK
    August 2009
    Kyle,
    Johno, Beyers and Cobus all boog with PE, they last 6 months at caves. I've also got one now, but I used to be in love with my PP's, that's only because the 09 nomad PE's have two stringers and I thought that was a rather logical approach. But you are like 5cm tall and 30k's so I'd say give PE a bang, should last years and it's fun trying out new things! Otherwise get yourself like 40"/40.5" PP.
    Goodtimes.
  • lyle
    August 2009
    i dont agree that PP boards dont last. Rossi custom with PP core 2 stringers and closed cell deck doesnt even look like its been riden except for wax and encounters with the rocks! given i dont boost like the pros, but i have my fair share of fun. it is abit too stiff though.

2nd rossi custom, open cell deck, soft bottom, 1 stringer. this one was was better as it wasnt stiff and lasted +-3years.

but im from EL so water is ALOT warmer.
  • DavidC
    August 2009
    If my PE is dark yellow then I know my PP has got a problem. If it is clear then my PP is alright.
  • doclach
    August 2009
    elementree i'm a big fan of PP for its lightness etc and lovin' the EFC/FRC core for the same reasons - try and get your gut on one when you can mate, such a blast trying the new tech.
    i interviewed Reon Fisher a couple of months ago about the new tri core tech (Pe top, PP centre and Pe base sandwich design), but it was still in development then , so havent had a chance to get one under me.... yet....

yer kyle weight is defo a consideration, I'm 90 kegs so prefer a pretty robust core

So sick you guys have a store dedicated to boog like factory 7 to refer to.
    One of my mates has Emerald here and I ring him all the time asking about stuff, as stores like these are so up to speed on what is happening in the industry and what suits riders. I even consult with Dessie when I'm getting a custom cos he knows how i ride and we o through dimensions and stuff indepth.
    tip from an old-skooler, use your resources, amazing what you can learn.
    let us know what ya get and how it goes.
    YEW!!
    Doc
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.