Groupies

• lemon
    August 2009
    I know this is a heavily over talked topic but still people dont seem to understand... I only use this opinion in an open forum so more people can understand. I mean it to help others understand what respect is.

Why do certain people feel the need to pull up to a spot in 3 cars and pile there connections out to ruin the surf for the 2 guys who missioned A-side up there, after following a swell paying more petrol etc.

It drives me insane going to a secret spot and seeing 3 cars and 15 bodyboarders pull up and paddle out at the one and only peak. I have watched waves in the reserve turn into long beach... T****dt is a joke now with surfers going up there.
    And now they are holding SA champs up the west coast.

We all know its wrong. I mean do guys real feal nothing for other boogers then to just go F-those guys I am going to call every one I know because I like to turn my surf into a 21st birthday party with out chicks.

In all honesty I am calling Len bradford out. Dude why would you run a clinnic at a secret spot this weekend????
    I really expect you to answer me.. Pitching up with 4 combis!!! wow That is poor form and you (an industry leader) should know better.
    Why couldnt you take them to the long beach opposite the train track????

Please call me on 0722255633 to discuss why you ruined my long weekend.

Having SA champs past elands is the most selfish desicion I have ever heard there are some waves up there that are going to get exposed to halve off SA competive bodyboarders.... The one argument was they are running development clinics to give back to the sport. can you not run a development clinnic at Long beach? Are there not people to develpo there ? are there no priovesly dissadvataged kids in Cape Town? can you not run the contest at hoek or Lands?
    Those arent secret spots!!!! they are all over the web and you can by a map that tells you where "N-O-O-R d hoek and Lands are!!!! Can you also tell me how SA champs is going to generate positive coverage to non bodyboarders. How many non bodyboarders are going to see this extreme sport in Ebay?????

Can you not realise that Stand ups get bumbed becuase boogies paddle out and over run there spots.... I am sick and tired of you stand ups telling me to not surf here becuase we always bring crowds... I am respectfull and only travel with 1 other guy , and I have to look like a doos because selfish P*icks love to travel with all there buddies and 2 photogs!!! you guys are lemons... and you spend the whole day arguing about what t-shirt to by to support an industry ... Jeepors I am all for that but dont look Like a lemon and not be respectfull.

Bodyboarding 2,518 views

46 Replies

• SmTSmT
    August 2009
    YohYohYoh! This is an interesting one! Just want to see where this goes! Hmmmmmm!
    One point, more than half of those riders coming to S.A Champs will more than likely never set foot up the West Coast again after S.A's. It's not like it's just around the corner!
    I'm all for holding S.A Champs at a spot that can showcase the Countries top riders busting out not grovelling away in 1/2ft KAK but not at the expense of the guys who've done the hard yards in missioning and exploring the huge expanse of Coastline this country has too offer only to rock up and find it over-run by car loads of frothers the next time they hit it!
    Like Peter said, if you are fortunate to stumble upon a hidden gem, keep quiet, period!!!
    Unfortunately I think it's way too late to change the Venue of S.A Champs for 09, so should be interesting both in and out the water???
  • dsc
    August 2009
    Ok, I'm going to jump in here too cos I am one of the photogs you are referring too Dre.

All I will say is that I missioned on Friday night, after being stuck in traffic for who knows how long, like I do virtually every second weekend to the spots you refer to. There were 3 of us. No groupies. That is how we roll. There are no locals up there - nobody lives there and that is how simple it is. A local is someone who lives in front of their spot and surfs it hands down all the time. And I'm not referring to Elands, that yes, does have diamond miner locals when it fires, but trust me I would rather be somewhere else when Elands is firing.

If you knew me, you would know why I do what I do so I don't blame you judging me. We scored uncrowded, good waves the whole weekend beside one surf - that you refer to. I'm pretty sure we still got the best waves that session too. I can tell you we got CHRONIC waves yesterday too cos we mission harder than most people in this country. We fished instead of watching the rugby and the Community Shield. We also found 2 new waves.

My last point is where do you want our sport to go? If you don't surf the best waves as often as possible you will never be the best, and if your goal is to be the best like our crew, then you simply have to push your own limits and make sacrifices to achieve these goals.
  • Spy Dude
    August 2009
    100% behind you there Dre.
    That is just SWAK!
  • lemon
    August 2009
    Hi Mike..... I def know who you are and know who you mission with, This was not intended for you, this was mainly for len and the seapiont crew/lands crew. What you guys do is great and I am really supportive ,, so wrong photog.

I do however disagree with you about SA champs, They would never run the Aussie 's at a secret spot nor anywhere else in the world for that matter.... Here in SA there are way better spots that are well know to showcase the sport then up there..... still fuming and bumbed
  • Jared HoustonJared Houston
    August 2009
    man,I really really really dont think the waves on the stretch between ebay and lamberts are worth getting bummed over brother.
    I promise there are better waves out there and those in particular are far from secret spots bro.
    Do you really reckon they are that good?I also cant see half the dudes who will be competing in SA champs ever wanting to go up there ever again,purely coz I think the waves are goona lick but I absolutely hope im wrong for the integrity of the event.

As far as rocking up with a crowd,yes it sucks but im sure everyone has done it once upon a time,no matter what they might try and convince you.
    But yeah crowds at a single peak wave suck man haha.

But guys,after travelling Aus the past few months,I dont think many of us can ever understand what crowded actually means until you come to Oz.It is THAT hectic.

Count your blessings
  • dsc
    August 2009
    Dre, sorry bru. It's actually Damon Crawford and not Mike DC. We have very similar usernames and I have tried to change mine to my name but can't work it out.

dsc = Damon Crawford
    DC Mike = DC Mike

Your viewpoint of me will probably now change and we have had our argument already and shaken hands, so hopefully it won't.

I am not going to comment on SA Champs, all I will say is that a lot of money is being put into development which is sick.

I don't want my sport to die out like it almost did at a stage.

I will also take the opportunity to remind everyone that gave me flak about my Reserve story that I was not the only photog shooting and nor were my shots the only ones published in the article. Strange how things manifest aye.

We charge the Weskus hard, all the time. Anybody who knows us knows this. So I would easily say that we are pretty well liked along the coast and pretty local up there compared to most people. We do have respect and this is why you won't see landmarks in my shots, nor will you find the real Weskus locals giving us hassles - they surf with us, camp with us, make potjies with us and we all have good friendships.
  • lyle
    August 2009
    i respect sectret spots. i have never opened my mouth about a spot if i was taken there. its called respect. i was brought up old school. so i understand respect! i mission with one, sometimes 2 mates. if its a secret spot- only one mate cause i dont trust the other to shut up. so pick your mates wisely.

but with all this said, then we should never travel! indo, hawaiians, shark island, ect mustve all had locals?? yet hundreds of owes mission to these spots?? people travel the world looking for waves and we grumbling about the west coast. they will all be uncovered one day. enjoy them now, while you can!
  • Spy Dude
    August 2009
    Damon, i just want to a what if senario with you...

WHAT IF, someone that hasnt put in the years of dedication and time (as you have mentioned above) to a spot you have been surfing, hardly shooting and keeping quiet about (like the photos shmo showed me yesterday - very nice work BTW) Pulls in, Shoots the place fucked up, comes back with a crew of "non-locals" and shoots more, then writes an article to back up the photos and pretty much gives a road map to the spot...

Would you be bummed?

Like would you be bummed with all those Weskus spots being unearthed?

I dont think Dres vent was at you, it was more at Len.
    The point is, you brought the reserve thing up.
  • dsc
    August 2009
    Yes Pierre,

Thanks for the compliment.

Obviously I would, and I get your point. We have had our argument too and also shaken hands about it so I won't be tempted to get into it again thanks. I have learnt my lesson the hard way and can only hope others learn from it. I have also profusely apologised about the matter.

I'm going to follow Lyle's sentiments that unfortunately spots come out over time and end up being ridden. I'm sure if we could change this aspect of human behaviour we would. But we can't so we deal with it and some rise and some fall as a result.

I understand that Dre's vent may not have been aimed at me directly but I sure as hell was not going to be included in any finger pointing a second time.

Another sad but true fact is that most of these waves have been pimped in the Zag this year already - including a cover with a particular landmark on display.

It's a stale cookie to chew on and will probably make me sound hypocritical but there is nothing I can do: I am one of those people trying to make a career as a photo journalist and as with the latest Zag exposure of a certain wave, rather it be among the booger community (that poeple attain success) if it happens, than the stand-up community. I honestly think the men will still be separated from the boys at this spot for a long time to come. Hopefully another "Ours" fiasco does not need to come alive at this spot, but the ou's that live around there will protect it and they have every right to do so. It is our chance, as the booger community, to finally say to surfers "listen mate, you claim every wave in the country, not this one". Although it will probably be in Afrikaans and go something like "Kom hier Engelseman, laat ek vir jou n les leer". Maybe not as kindly though.

Whilst it is lank swak to see a DPS of a booger wave in the Zag, I am one of the most stoked ou's for Peter's achievement of being published like that. It shows that his dedication to what he loves to do - photography - is paying off and that he is succeeding at it. It can only serve to encourage him.
  • TiaanK
    August 2009
    Haha jeezus Elands was crowded last weekend!
  • Scarecrow
    August 2009
    TiaanK wrote:
    Haha jeezus Elands was crowded last weekend!

Dude, Elands is crowded ALL the time!!! It's a pretty kak wave for a booger anyways. There's much better around. Just my 5 cents worth :P

But seriously, I've been to so many spots on the West Coast whilst cruising with my folks or on my own whilst exploring and seen plenty epic waves with nobody out. Would've been stoked to surf some of them, but there's no ways I'm gonna paddle out on my ace in waters I don't know. I reckon these spots will remain uncrowded for at least the rest of our lifetime. Unfortunately as with all things, the expansion of the human race and financial greed will overrun all and one day the West Coast will all be developed (like Big Bay/Melkbos) and have its own locals...until then seek and you shall find!
  • Spy Dude
    August 2009
    Sweet Damon, sorry i didnt mean to bring up that dead cow again, it was more to illustrate a point. I dont agree with your definition of locals but 90% of surfers wont agree with mine either.

For the record, i am way too old and too busy to ever be able to live the dream i wanted, i am stoked that the new generation of guys are pulling into the exploration vibe. I have surfed up and down the west coast for over 20 yrs, surfed many spots and hope to surf many more new ones. U can be luck your crew of okes are solid bunch of bodyboarders who go big. It makes for good photos. I just wish i had the time and freedom to chase swells up the coast and these days its more ignorance is bliss not to know what the swell is doing. Slave to the grindstone.

One day i will get back to bali!
  • TiaanK
    August 2009
    Haha, wasn't talking about that pointbreak wave the surfer bros love, more the area with those "secret" spots. I love the West Coast, because it offers high performance bodyboarding waves and for that reason I guess many others love it as well. You just gotta put in some more Km's these days to dodge the crowd factor.
  • Vicus Kruger Krokkie
    August 2009
    To Lemon..
    With all due respect mate I would like to reply on two of your issues seeing that you have so many,
    First off, where do you live...? West coast...?

But to be grownup about things could help the sport lots, and taking out one of the sponsors who do the most for body boarding in South Africa is just lame and childish. If you do not know all the spots around the west coast and drive the 265km just to go surf on one or two spots then that’s your baby. Get your facts straight mate. The development was held at yo yo's, thus if that is your secret spot....I rest my case.

we all long for the sport to reach heights that it does internationally like in aus and usa but, unfortunately Surfing South Africa as a hole doesn’t even get half the support it is supposed to get from the government.
    And throwing your toys out like this would not help anything. Maybe you feel better now... I don’t know.
    But without making it personal I hope next time you are kind enough to stop and chat to the olkes in the water cos you might just be amazed at who is actually paddling out with whom.
    Sorry if you had a bad weekend our weekend rocked and not even the stand ups in the area treated us like you just did.
    An apology to Reef and Science I think would be appropriate.

Enjoy the swell!
  • Spy Dude
    August 2009
    There are two frames of mind here.

Frame 1 is the guy who missions with 1 maybe 2 guys when he goes for a surf. Generally this guy has had allot of flack from standups and has had to earn his place in the pecking order over the years through solid charging, has an exploritoty nature and has spent time abroad.

Frame 2 is the pack hunter, the guy who travels in packs and rely's on the pack to sort out any issues with people they encounter. They tend to dominate a break and scare off anyone else. The word Selfish comes to mind. They 9/10 times show zero repsect to those who are in the water, to locals that live there or the spots they surf. They dont classify anything as secret and will call another 30 of their buddies to come join them if its on. Anyone who has even encountered brazilians would know what i am speaking about.

End of the day we all know where respect falls, and its not with the pack hunters.

Vicus... why are all the photos that have been put up of FLW and not yo yo's??? mmm
  • Elianderthehateful
    August 2009
    Quote:
    we all long for the sport to reach heights that it does internationally like in aus and usa but, unfortunately Surfing South Africa as a hole doesn’t even get half the support it is supposed to get from the government.

Welkom by die fokken bakhand generasie!

People are kakking off financially and education and security is a joke...I hardly think surfing is anywhere near making any f'ing demands about support from the government.

Sorry, I know completely off topic, but I get f'ed off with this sense of entitlement people have for their hobbies. What's next? Sponsored stamp collectors?

If the sport was going to be big in SA it would have been by now...just like in Aus and USA.
  • Vicus Kruger Krokkie
    August 2009
    Maybe cos the trail was held there and not the development like lemon stated...
    Just think we should be careful off upsetting the wrong people. Especially the sponsors mate...
    Thus this topic should either get a real strategic and reasonable point or it should go.
    We all use the ocean we all try to keep it clean (at least most off us, not like stand ups driving in front of me on dirt road at lamberts tossing their cans and bags out the window_). Thus we all take responsibility...
    Hard one, but threats and dumb accusations is not the way to go!
  • Spy Dude
    August 2009
    Would love to hear from Len on this one!
  • tauriq
    August 2009
    You got the 2 extreme's there Spy, what about missioning with a clique and still showing respect. Are we assuming here that respect was compromised during this debacle?

Sometimes, especially to the boogers living inland and with the cost of petrol these days, its makes sense to mission with a click. You can't just assume that 'packs' show disrespect for locals, or do u?
  • bernssurf
    August 2009
    Firstly get your facts sorted spydude. This was a training weekend for the Boland team, Len was invited to join and spent time with family in Lamberts. As far as I know none of the spots from elands to lamberts are so secret (maybe since they are next to the main highway). It is just a shame to see someone (Len) being treated this way that have done so much for the sport in SA.

This topic is very childish and not in the sports best interest. I hope that you would be grownup enough to end it.
  • iammonster
    August 2009
    i agree....this subject has been thrown around so often with no ones minds being changed.

Lets rather talk about how well Jerry is surfing over in Aus, or how Mark and Sacha and Johno got such good shots in one of the biggest mags in the world! Or how boetie is competing so well overseas. Well done boys!!

NEXT!!!!
  • Marthinus
    August 2009
    [I posted this here because I think this whole fiasco about secret spots being exposed has allot to do with individuals who are trying to boost the industry through exposure (surfing heaver waves and getting better shots to work with etc etc ) Vs the 'locals' of these secret spots not having exactly the same frame of mind (instead they want to keep the secret a secret, and rightfully so.) ]

Day in and day out, like sheep, we moan about the bodyboarding industry with emphasise on its mediocre position in the market place.

Lets pause for a minute... I know that I havent posted anything on the site for a while and what follows might come as a surprise to some; Do we really want the bodyboarding industry to boom in SA?(hypothetically - if it was even possible)

Have you ever thought what this will mean to you as a bodyboarder, the benefits it will have on you, and if these benefits are even benefits after all....
    Crowded line ups, crowded line ups and more crowded line ups as well as exposure of your favourite secret spot! As an average bodyboarder this is the only difference you are going to see, maybe a bodyboarding show or two on TV, a few IBA contests, maybe even the option of 2 bodyboarding mags (like Aus) as opposed to only 1, a bit more money on the SABA tour (Still not even close enough to make a living from) and a general increase in exposure of the sport to the masses. (There goes the exclusivity factor of being a 'real bodyboarder' that surfing certainly has lost a long time ago)

So to sum it up, you get all of the above if your wishes come true, which are more grievances than gaining’s to say the least. The only people that will in fact be benefiting, and that at your expense, are the firms within, and associated within, the bodyboarding industry, as well to a marginal extent, the elite few at the top of the sport that land better sponsor deals and prize money at contests.

I was in Australia for 3 months last year.
    Sure, the sport is undoubtedly much bigger over there than hear (hey, they've got at least 3 100% bodyboarding shops and at least 3 bodyboarding only clothing brands!). But, the top bodyboarding pro's there, in financial terms, are still far far faaaar off from even the top SA pro surfers.

If you have not surfed outside of SA you do not know what the word "crowded" actually means.
    If you have, well then you know how blessed we are in sunny SA.

In essence its a bit of Catch-22 scenario; We dont want to loose our secret spots or sacrifice our uncrowded line ups, but at the same time we want to expose the sport and get it as big as possible..
    I guess someone will just have to make the choice. Or has the choice already been made?
  • Spy Dude
    August 2009
    bernssurf's.... whatever bru.
    Try read the whole string before you hit your crackpipe again

Len is a grown man, he can talk for himself, i asked for his imput, not yours!
  • Spy Dude
    August 2009
    Tauriq... you missed my point. But at any spot on this planet, okes are gonna frown on a rent-a-crowd, even if they are super nice guys, who dont act like brazilians. Its just one of the things the old school calls eticate (however it is spelt)

End of the day.. its just not cool.
  • tauriq
    August 2009
    Surfing at a spot with your buddies where you are not a 'local' has nothing to do with etiquette (google chrome built in spell check...you should try it out :P ) Etiquette is the unwritten rules of courtesy in the water an example being paddling in to a crowded kBay line-up and having to wait a few sets before making a paddle for your 1st one. But im sure you are well versed more than most on this. Its normal to be bummed if you surfing a spot alone or with your buddies and more people come join, regardless if you are a local or not. We are a community and should let surfing together bring us together instead of causing feuds.

Marthinus hit the nail on the head saying
    Quote:
    In essence its a bit of Catch-22 scenario; We dont want to loose our secret spots or sacrifice our uncrowded line ups, but at the same time we want to expose the sport and get it as big as possible..
    I guess someone will just have to make the choice. Or has the choice already been made?

Personally I would want the uncrowded breaks. I am saying this because I am not sponsored, nor do I bodyboard professionally, so I dont really care about exposure anyways, as long as im getting my surf. However the potential top guys would want the latter, expose the sport, expose themselves, open themselves up to sponsorship opportunities and global travel/competitions and whatever other perks come with it.

You mission hard, you reap the rewards, you bodyboard hard, you reap the rewards. Either way you have a bit of fun. After all, aint that what our sport is about, or have we missed the point? :mrgreen:

Peace
  • Chinnychinchin
    August 2009
    The mere fact that a whole herd of boogers actually rocked up at that spot means that it wasn't such a "secret" in the first place.......hahahahaha

Seriously, I doubt ANY of the old school cats on this forum or in the industry needs to be read the riot act on "respect". So everyone just needs to CHILLOUT. My or your "secret spot" might actually be common knowledge to half the Penisula, you never know, cause after all this coast has been surfed for YEARS, MANY YEARS. So everyone needs to just chill on this bad vibe, seriously, it's just not constructive to our sport. To give one of the MAJOR SPONSORS of our sport, lip, is well, not cool guys, just not cool hey. He doesn't actually have to "justify" himself to anyone on this forum.
  • TiaanK
    August 2009
    Apparently on the rear of those stones Moses brought down from the mountain there were 10 Rules for General Surfing!
  • JmoJmo
    August 2009
    I think Marthinus has made the best point here so far. Everyone needs to take a step outside their own little bubble and see how things are interlinked. Lets drop the double-standards and the petty moaning.

If you want the bodyboarding scene to grow then spots are going to get ridden and exposed. If the scene grows then riders get sponsored and standards get pushed higher, more people get amped and buy boards. More boards sold means more brands can survive and import products, which means more product choice for everyone and cheaper prices. We also get to be stoked for locals representing on the international scene.
    If you want to be the only rider at your spot until the day you die, then you need to hope the industry fades and then there will be less industry support of your passion, no mag, small product choice, high prices, less stoke as a community, etc.
    The middle ground is that if you have a secret spot, and by that I mean a real secret, then keep it that way and enjoy it while it lasts. If its a great wave, it will eventually be exposed or found by someone else.

My interest in the bodyboarding scene has been reduced to a bare minimum now based purely on the kak attitude that seems to prevail amongst bodyboarders these days. At the risk of sounding like an antique, I remember that I used to tell people that when I was in the water with bodyboarders there was always an awesome vibe and it was the standups that were arrogant, aggressive and obnoxious. These days I get as annoyed with the attitude of the boogers as I do with standups, if not more annoyed because I see how we as a community are falling into that same rut... Anger and threats of violence or burning riders is so retarded it makes me want to vomit.
    Locals are the guys that have ridden a place longer than any one else and know it the best. True locals are going to get the best waves regardless of who is there because of skill and local knowledge, not because they rent or own a house nearby.

Rocking into a spot with a loads of guys is shit no matter where you go in the world, and no one is going to earn respect at those spots by pulling in with a carload of guys. But then those locals getting all minced about one car of guys when they get a spot to themselves all the time should imagine what its like to have your local spot next to a main road which has no less than 5 total muppets riding it every day and a generous helping of 30 guys on a good day all trying to sit in a take off zone the size of a Smart car. Get over yourselves and appreciate the fact that you have access to amazing waves that are mostly uncrowded, most of the time.

Lastly:
    For every standup that looks at a wave that boogers own, there is a booger looking at a wave that the standups own. this is my personal experience. In fact while some standups were little grumpy at first, the crew that surf places like Sunset Reef and Dungeons have been totally awesome to us when we roll in with our bodyboards. These guys are more hardcore than you can imagine and totally dominate waves that will make anyone soil their wetsuit. These guys are cool to us in the carpark and we all have a laugh and a chat in the water, even though I bet they feel the same about boogers hitting Dungeons as some might feel about standups hitting Tant. They might not be stoked to share their waves, but they certainly have respect for the fact that we are hitting it up in heavy conditions regardless of what board we ride.

When did the standups become the good guys and bodyboarders become so obnoxious? I read here that okes think we are going to see a situation like the "Ours" saga, but really it seems to me that its those okes that have a kak 'its ours' attitude. Nobody owns these spots, so there is only one true way forward: Respect.

Respect for those that have been riding a spot longer, respect for guys that are charging, respect for low key locations, respect for the guys keeping the industry alive... the list goes on.
  • Elianderthehateful
    August 2009
    What a laugh!!!

Seriously...this whole "rules of surfing blah blah blah" is a joke. People can do whatever the hell they want. If they want to go surf Tant with 30 guys in their combi, there's NOTHING you can do about it. You can bitch. You can drop in on them. But that's all.

Don't give me this crap about f'ing up people's property or moering some guy because he isn't a local and he brought ten friends to your local secret spot, because I'll tell you who is a local...the fuckin cops my friend. Try explaining to a policeman arresting you for assault or malicious damage to property that "Nooit bru...he is from out of town and this is a secret spot so of course I klapped him."

If I want to surf a spot I will and the same goes for everyone. People are all in the water for the same reason. Do you really think guys go to a spot with their friends thinking "Ha ha...let's go surf FLW or wherever to just piss off the locals"? Get a life man...they're all just out there for the stoke. Tough shit if it doesn't suit your vain little pursuit of zen or whatever the hell you label the reason for your kak selfish attitude.

This is exactly the f'ed up sense of entitlement I am talking about.

"We deserve to be paid loads of cash for being able to do revo's and ARS's and not have to work like normal people"

"We deserve to surf the best spots in the country / world with just me and my too cool for school photog in the water and at least one friend to tell me just how sick I really am"

Please. Locate your cock and go f yourself!
  • SmTSmT
    August 2009
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Wahahahahahahaha! That made me laugh!
    Anyway, what I wanted to say was, oooohhh, look! A dead horse, lets flog it!
    This debate has raged on, on numerous forums and on numerous occassions.
    Has it ever changed anything? Do the so-called culprits ever "apologise"?
    All I know, is that i'm in for the fun, lets just all get barrelled, just not all at the same time at any Secret Spots!
  • tjokka
    August 2009
    Quote:
    My interest in the bodyboarding scene has been reduced to a bare minimum now based purely on the kak attitude that seems to prevail amongst bodyboarders these days. At the risk of sounding like an antique, I remember that I used to tell people that when I was in the water with bodyboarders there was always an awesome vibe and it was the standups that were arrogant, aggressive and obnoxious. These days I get as annoyed with the attitude of the boogers as I do with standups, if not more annoyed because I see how we as a community are falling into that same rut... Anger and threats of violence or burning riders is so retarded it makes me want to vomit.

That is what I have been wanting to say for some time now.
    Quote:
    All I know, is that i'm in for the fun, lets just all get barrelled

And that is the attitude we should all have! :)
  • Spy Dude
    August 2009
    second that
  • lemon
    August 2009
    Hi all,

Len did phone me and we discussed the matter, Firstly I owe him a beer and need to appologise to him.
    What happened is Len went to a spot with his family and thats all, there was however a Boland trial held at the area that rocked up at the same time as him, and as he is an industry leader everyone got out the car and greated him. to this I presumed he rocked up with this crowd.

Len assures me the call for SA's is not his at all.

He did run a clinnic at yo, yos

But still the piont stands why was there a boland trial at this wave, and still why do guys go surfing with 3 cars?

To the guys who say this is a flogged topic. Wow clearly not enough as guys still do it. The more the bodyboarding community stand up to not pack surfing the more people are going to not want to surf with 30 mates!!! some might go noooit bru not going with you guys as you are "disrespectfull" to the guys in the water. The guys who complain" its like complaining about society but not doing anything positive about it"

To the guys wanting more exposure to the sport.... you dont need to travel with 30 people to take a photo of 1 guy.
    Take a photographer and take "boetie" and you will have good shots.

I think regarding industry support I think by being more repectfull in the water meens more respect from stand ups, Lets be honest Standups run the surfing industry in this country and untill they stop burning bodyboarders we will never be seen in the same light as them. (so stop rocking up in crowds)

Len I do appologise to you, I dont regret calling you out on an open forem I was wrong but the more poeple who read about pack surfing the less the kids will do it.

Cheers
  • DavidC
    August 2009
    If you want a spot to remain a secret why even name it. Just shut your mouth and enjoy the uncrowded waves. If someone else finds it then thats life, get over it and share the waves or go and mission for another spot for yourself and your mates. Everybody is missioning for uncrowded spots and are sooner or later going to find your spot. As long as they show respect and dont try and take over the place then thats cool.

I agree with Lemon and get your point that if a spot is sensitive or "secret" then compos should not be held there, that doesnt seem right. But at the same time who really owns a spot? It is a big wide public ocean. If a dude who has a big group of bodyboarding mates finds a sick spot and brings all his mates there then why should he not be allowed to. As long as respect is shown and waves are shared and everyone is getting shacked then whats the problem. Why should they have to go elsewhere becasue it is someones secret spot. If the guys rock up and just run amock and drop in on ous and get all aggro then thats another story. It sucks when you are enjoying an uncrawded line up and a group of ous rocks up and paddles out but thats life really.
  • Jared HoustonJared Houston
    August 2009
    Elianderthehateful you kill me bru.
    I have never never never never ever in my life encountered someone as negative towards guys giving the pro circuit a go.
    What on earth is your problem bru?
    Have you ever heard of PROFESSIONALISM?it exists in all sports and bb is no different.
    Im not talking of myself,but if you think that Hardy,Hubb etc dont deserve to get paid then frankly your an idiot man.
    I actually cant believe some of the things you say?
    Who are you?Id love to know.

Man...
  • Chinnychinchin
    August 2009
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats so funny man.

I agree with SMT lets all just go get some waves dammit, cause tomorrow the swells going to be CRACKERLACKING! WOOHOO!
  • Francois
    August 2009
    I'm just a guy with a bodyboard who tries to have some fun. I'm no Sacha Specker here... All this talk about "Ours" is such a big joke, it's like saying you own a piece of the Moon! Who is going to enforce your "ownership" of a spot? And in terms of what law?? hahaha... If you surf a secret spot between friends, keep it that way for as long as possible because sooner or later other guys are gonna show up who have as just as much right as you to surf in the ocean and enjoy the spot... Adios
  • lyle
    August 2009
    Chinnychinchin wrote:

I agree with SMT lets all just go get some waves dammit, cause tomorrow the swells going to be CRACKERLACKING! WOOHOO!

one more hour till i go get barreled! ah man, how great is EL bro. its crowded when we have like 5 ous out! and if theres 10 dudes then its out of control!! and a certain in town spot seems secret cause its always empty and is super hollow for boogers. was gonna road trip to CT but rate ill camp in my garden. us slummies brus are way friendlier too!! :lol: :mrgreen:
  • tauriq
    August 2009
    Yeah, lets all get shakked!
  • Elianderthehateful
    August 2009
    Hi Jared

Not once did I diss guys giving the circuit a go!!!! I completely respect the fact that this is a sport and as any other sport there is a proffessional aspect to it and to sustain that you require funding.

I am just appalled by the sense of entitlement that so many people have! It's one thing to say sponsors should pull in and hook people up, but what value do you connect to such a sponsorship? HOw much does a guy like Hardy deserve to earn as opposed to an attorney or a Springbok Rugby player or a nurse in the ER? How much does he contribute to society in return for getting money, free travels and free clothes??

Because essentially you're getting paid to have fun, see the world and surf. Yes you train hard, but your training is what we call free-surfing and exercising. You just get to do it every day and get paid.

Just because you're good at it doesn't mean it entitles you to a ticket on the gravy train.

Currently surfing and bodyboarding (and most extreme sports) contribute almost nothing to this country. I understand why rugby/soccer/cricket players get paid shitloads, because their sports contribute a shitload to the GDP in tourism, sponsorships, broadcasting deals etc. And let's be real for a second...their training and your/HArdy's "training" just aint the same. I don't think they actually enjoy theirs.

BAsically...it seems to me that people want to be paid to have fun...to live their dreams...to be happy while most people out there have to bust their asses to get enough money to actually have fun and be happy. You got it the wrong way around.
  • iammonster
    August 2009
    Why shouldnt hardy get paid to do what he loves?
    Do you even know how sponsorships work? Another word for it - endorsement.

Hardy surfs hard, trains hard so that he can surf extremely well, get good good shots, good footage and do well in contests.
    He rides board A, wears clothing B. We sit back and go, damn hardy surfs good, what a legend! I want the board that he rides and the clothes he wears! We then go and purchase those items. Hardys sponsors then go, hey Ryan thanks man, the only reason those guys bought our stuff is because you are using it! Thanks here are some royalties! We want you to keep surfing well and inturn have people buy our shit. You not gonna surf as good as you are if you get stuck in some 8 - 5, so we will pay you a salary to keep at it! Thanks mate!
    Thats basically how much you can work out how much someone deserves.
    Then there are companys out there, that are just like damn, id dig to give back and help out guys where I can...

But then again..why shouldnt someone get paid to have fun? We all want it!!!!! dont deny it!
    Its miff to be so bitter about peoples whos lives have turned out exactly like they dreamed!
  • DavidC
    August 2009
    I think you should change your name to Eilander the jealous. Why should someone who has devoted his life to something deserve to reap rewards for it? I doubt if you were in Hardys shoes you would have the same sentiments. He had a dream and he grabbed it with both hands, so yes he deserves everything he gets for it. Maybe it aint fair that he gets to live such a kiff lifestyle while the rest of us peasants work 8-5 and generally dont enjoy it, but hey thats life.
  • Elianderthehateful
    August 2009
    Not quite jealous...I'm pretty stoked with my life as it is thank you. Don't want what he has at all...just not me. Being a corporate lacky is what I love doing. Terminal preppy...that's me.

No shit...who wouldn't love to get paid crap loads to surf epic waves all the time. I'm not a retard! Still doesn't mean I agree with the principle. I'd much rather see teachers and policemen and nurses get paid double than see a pro surfer get a dime from the government. Why does that make me so fuckin wrong?

And yes...I understand the principle of endorsement iammonster...my comments were actually aimed at the comment made earlier on this thread that surfing isn't getting half the support from government it should be getting. That pissed me off. Because that is pure entitlement syndrome.

Look we're arguing about fundamentals here and neither of us are going to budge on the point. I don't see surfing doing much for this country and that's not really going to change. I see it as a pretty selfish lifestyle. So what. Doesn't mean it is. I just have that view. Hate me for it ...fine. But that's my view.

P.s. funny how my comment about entitlement was also aimed at the whole secret spot debate, but you all took offence on the part about money...guess we're all terminal preppies...LOL!!! God I miss Chad Barba!!!!
  • ConorConor
    August 2009
    Eilander the jealous..... :idea:
  • Robert Gray
    August 2009
    Eilanda the jealous.
    dre the camera man wanna be
    spy dude the die hard
    housten the eppo air'er
    tickner the buckled
    matt the metro
    and Len roll and spun in the sand..

Love you guys!!!! Remeber that 4 eva..
  • peterbee
    August 2009
    I've only just done a speed-read thru this forum thread, and want to add my one cent (if the government sponsored me it'd be 5 cents...).

First of all, guys, what's so difficult to understand about Eliander the Upright's point - the market is hungry for pics of Hardy doing sick waves, so he gets paid by sponsors: all good, but does this mean body-boarding should be prioritised for government hand-outs? No: work on the market, not on your sense of entitlement!

Next: someone suggested that Lemon should not take Len to task because of Len's role in - and contributions towards - the industry. It has since been admitted by Lemon that he jumped the gun and got it wrong, but this does not mean that someone like Len (with respect, Len!) or anyone else is above criticism if they pull a blind one. Which for the record, Len did not :)

As for bus/car/gang/clique-loads of boogers showing up: Tauriq, I enjoy surfing with you guys (even though Hafiz owes me like 5 waves by now :wink: ), but I hate the fact that a travelling crew can max out a spot in one go. Especially somewhere I had to make plans to get to in the first place, as presumably was Lemon's case at the start of this thread. Just spare a thought for the solo surfer...

Lastly: Marthinus - you certainly seem to have changed your mind! Most times I agree with your realism - it would be cool if the the sport were healthy enough that I could benefit with cheaper - and wider ranges of - equipment, but generally what I find myself thinking is, the less people that surf or body-board, the better. Especially when I look at the over-development happening here in the south Peninsula - if just one in 100 new people to the area surfed, we're in for some super-crowded sessions.

Okay, all done.
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.