This will cause a stir!

• July 2009
    Its been a long time coming and its all over the show in next few weeks for the standups! bring on the ZOO

Bodyboarding 1,965 views

26 Replies

• whatever
    July 2009
    WHAT THE HELL WHO TOOK THE PHOTO AND WHO IS GONNA GET THERE ASS KICKED WHAT THE HELL IS KHOISAN LEDGE THE STANDUPS MUST COME SO I CAN SEND THEM HOME
  • jbs
    July 2009
    This will not end well.

All the best for the circus that will inevitably ensue.
  • Ricky_Bobby
    July 2009
    Is it reeeeeally THAT surfable for the standups? Because after all, it is quite a sick take-off. Hopefully a few boards get smashed and a few ego's bruised (mainly by the wave).
  • krukru
    July 2009
    It won't only be from the wave.
  • Jared HoustonJared Houston
    July 2009
    Pretty bad wave to surf.

Eish,spose it was a long time coming huh?Is it a full write up mark?
  • shaun/westcoast
    July 2009
    hahahahahahah f@ck them bring those surfboards to tand ill snap them one by one even if i have to go down my self...its on.or let them surf it and screw them selfs up.i want this
  • Inky
    July 2009
    Oh boy.....

Honestly, I think it all boils down to respect. Sure i'm sure it is a very difficult wave for a stand up to surf, but if he pulls it off and gets pitted, I'll be hooting. But with that in mind I reckon it's a 2 way street here, if a booger pulls in and gets a fat one, that surfer should be hooting right back!! Clearly this is not a novice wave so regardless of what you ride, it's going to need some skill and balls to master. It looks like that wave can send you packing if you don't know what you are doing. Correct me if i'm wrong but I can imagine the same thing happened at Kalk bay in the beginning??? It's like a bunch of kids fighting over the swings in the play ground here....Let the riding do the talking I say! :mrgreen:

This rivalry thing has been going on for ever, with all respect stand ups seem to have a bigger problem with us than we do with them. It's pathetic really. I love my sponge!

BB for ever!!
  • shaun/westcoast
    July 2009
    inky everything u say is true ..but kalk bay is viewed from the street open to anyone to see.where uhm koishan legde as they would call it is in a unciviliezed area .and is 100 times more powerfull than kalk bay not a easy take off ,but thats not the point ..westcoast guys dont like crowds that how we surfed waves just the buds with the best waves in sa..now we cant find that anywhere anymore which with all respect pisses us off.

peace bodyboarder 4 life
  • Spy Dude
    July 2009
    mmm everyone knows my views on exposed secrets. Saddly boogs are to blame for 90% secrets being exposed. The Standups only cottened onto this wave years and years later.
    I know of CT booger that like to take 3 car loads of guys to lesser known spots and with them is usually like 2 wanna be photographers and maybe a video guy.
    So the fact that Tant has been commercially exposed is something the okes on the west coast will have to live with.
    Its not like they werent part of the history.
    End of the day 90% of CT surfers will rather mission to the Goddly point break that tackel this puppy.
    You dont see stand ups all over kokerot.
    If anything Tant is just gonna be more crowded with CT boogs who drive up 20 crowd strong.

So Weskus crew, chill there is plenty more waves up there, i know i have seen PHOTOs of a wave called.. DH, and its from the dark side :twisted:
  • Count Olaf
    July 2009
    hmmmm, am I drawing a parallel to the "Ours" fiasco in Australia? First thing they did was to rename the spot. Is this a problem with stand-ups or is it a problem with exposure of the spot?

My opinion is that this wave isn't suited to stand up at all and the distance you need to travel will keep this spot pretty empty. Although if I am wrong about this I do have a lot of faith in the West Coast crew.
  • Spy Dude
    July 2009
    naw, its for the engelsmanne in Durban that don't understand Afrikaans and don't know what a tand is.
    Again
    Other than more booger traffic, i don't see masses of standup surfers descending on it.
    More know about it than you think... we can that the tableview boogie crew for that.
    I know lank stand ups that have gone, stood on the rocks, saw, shat their pants and then tuned today wasn't a good time of the month to snap their epoxy sticks.

BTW, google chrome rocks....
  • doclach
    July 2009
    Such a shame when waves are 'exposed' on that level, we've lost sooooo many here, what was back in the day a quiet spot to get your froth on, is often now the proverbial Zoo (as mentioned above), a couple of us have a rare few up our sleeves, but they are indeed a dying breed. ski's and very long road travel are becoming the go for many seeking solitude.
    my 'condolences' to the SA boog scene for having another beauty exposed to the kook masses :(
  • Count Olaf
    July 2009
    Guess its time to go exploring for a new spot again.
  • Len at ScienceLen at Science
    July 2009
    never take a grom or a poor guy to a secret spot, the next week they will take anyone who is prepared to help with petrol or who has a car (fully packed with more groms) to the same "secret" spot and the friends will do the same. i have taken one of our top riders to tand when he was 15, thinking it will give him experience, and he has probebly taken at least 20 riders there to share the petrol.sorry for that mistake, will not happen again. in the article the stand-up surfer said that he has bodyboard friends (cape town riders) that have showed him the spot. maybe thats why the j-bay locals behave the way they do. Maybe Shaun, Rupert, Andre-hugo and Attie must create a questionair in Afrikaans about the westcoast the the guys must answer before entering the area. (sorry for my english spelling and grammer)
  • Chinnychinchin
    July 2009
    All it's gonna take is for a standup to get seriously injured at that spot for the ou's to steer clear and I'm not talking about the local boogers dishing out a few beatings either. hahahaha It's a fact of life.......it's only a matter of time before the crowds start moving out of town to try find some uncrowded waves. "Khoisan ledge" what kuk is that? That just sounds SO "touristy" and gay, it's name is TANT for a reason, neh? The Weskus crew needs to email or call the person who wrote that artical and set the record straight!

But on a positive note, I have been surfing a particular spot lately, about 10min from my house actually, and with all these beautiful NW winds it's been freakin epic. Last weekend it was not all-time or anything, but it was way way waaaaaaaay above average with a few little pits spitting right and left. It got "crowded" cause there were 2 other guys out.......hahahahahahahahahaha

The West Coast is one of the MOST awesome places in the world to be a booger and it still holds plenty of gems, the trick is to know where and when.......and when everyone thinks one particular spot is cooking, there are loads of others that are too..... :wink:

• July 2009
    The thing is the wave is narly! and more and more ocks will start surfing the wave. The problem with that is that un-experience dude will start surfing if and mess up the wave that come through! Look what is happening at pipe. alot of dude that realy cant surf that wave just drop it anyway. Take it from a local we will stand our ground. And by the way kokerot isnt half as crazy as tand!

But hey come down and see! I promise the stand-up guys wont get a wave if ruperd or mac is in the water!
  • StJohnLombard_Bodyboarder
    July 2009
    Isn't this lamberts shot?? apparently the name and details have been kept quiet.
  • SmTSmT
    July 2009
    It is Peter's Shot, it's got his name credited, apparently he went there to shoot and surf and saw 2 Stand-Ups and some water Photogs out already so he swam out and got the shot!
    The whole article is lame, Peter's empty wave is the biggest and best wave, there's maybe 1sequence which shows a pretty sick barrell of Damian Fahrenfort but it's nothing like the size Bodyboarders have ridden it. Too funny!
    The surfers must go there and get their asses handed to them, just hope somebody is there to get the shots, haahha!
  • Spy Dude
    July 2009
    Len at Science wrote:
    never take a grom or a poor guy to a secret spot, the next week they will take anyone who is prepared to help with petrol or who has a car (fully packed with more groms) to the same "secret" spot and the friends will do the same. i have taken one of our top riders to tand when he was 15, thinking it will give him experience, and he has probebly taken at least 20 riders there to share the petrol.sorry for that mistake, will not happen again. in the article the stand-up surfer said that he has bodyboard friends (cape town riders) that have showed him the spot. maybe thats why the j-bay locals behave the way they do. Maybe Shaun, Rupert, Andre-hugo and Attie must create a questionair in Afrikaans about the westcoast the the guys must answer before entering the area. (sorry for my english spelling and grammer)

Nail on the head there Len.
    But those same Groms from that area just north of CT and just south of the Nuke reactor, will argue that there are no secret spots unless they are 4hrs drive from CT and the people who have kept their spots quiet for decades should just get over themselfs and go find somewhere else to surf. Its more indicative of the entire new generational thing. Zero respect.

Oh and the main oke to let the cat out of the bag is ol craig koleski... yes ex booger editor of now defunct logic magazine. He took surfers there for a photoshoot last year already and the waves were kuk so they went home and gave all their mates the GPS co-ordinates.

I stand firm though.. Tant aint gonna get crowded with more stand-up's its as len says, its the 20 strong in 2 car grom booger brigade that is the worry. Kinda reminds me of brazillians.

Oh BTW Elands Bay isnt a secret incase some fools think i am refering to that as a secret.
  • Peter Lambert
    July 2009
    Some thoughts and some background to this topic

Attie, Neels, Andre Hugo, Rupert all charge the place and kept it very secret for years. Guys where blindfolded. It was a secret spot. This went on for years. Mad Respect to you guys. I rode it first the year of sa champs at heralds (3 years ago) I kept it pretty quiet. Sixty40 Mag Came Out - this wave on the cover, lots of other mag exposure, exposure all over sixty40, Holocast Filming took up heaps of riders. Tableveiew guys took lots of riders. Zigazag ran an AVG shot of it empty but no one rode it. months pass. Gigs Cillers and Jason Ribink check it out for tow - they don't ride it. A year passed - weekends became crowded. People started to call it by it real name on the internet (lame) and so it went. Other discoveries were made, other frontiers where explored.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago - I arrive mid week at the wave to find 2 guys chilling on the beach - standup film maker and partner of Jason Hearn, Eldon Van Asweegen shooting video, Damian Farenfort and another Standup in the water, A water photog out already sitting waaaaay on the channel, And another local in the water. Me, Jamesm Rory Paddle out, no bad vibes really, boogs on the peak standups on the shoulder getting the wide ones... I'm shooting rory and jaymo and checking the tail end of the standup session... they've been out for a while and mostly sholderboying it but getting one or two ok ones - its big - like 80% as big as it can handle. I shoot a sick empty that Rory pulled back on. Damian snaps his board and goes in. The other standup follows.

I get contacted by Barry Tuck, photog and acting editor of Zag - they have shots already but want to use one of mine - he sends me the image - Its Kobus Bosmans image of DH from across the bay - I laugh... wrong guy wrong spot mate, and How in gods earth do they know about Kobus's image of DH? No Damian sent it to him…

Anyway - they are running the story already going to print in 4 days, can they pay to use my empty if they don't name the spot? I think hard about it. It’s not an easy decision. Do I refuse and never get to submit to zigzag again, and they name the spot maybe? Time passes, I submit - Its going to get run weitehr I like it or not – at least this way they don’t name it, which is what is happening on this forum.

If you have secret spot keep it secret… photoshop out the landmarks, reverse it, say its somewhere else, give it a fake name, or better, keep it off your blog, facebook, web formus, movies etc.. I think its better to just find waves that are isolated, or heavy, or sharky and learn to ride them and love them– you’ll never have bad vibes from kooks, the guys out will be riding for the love of it, and no bad crowds.

If I have offended anyone or crossed the line please accept my humblest apologies – but the truth shall set you free.

Peter Lambert
  • TiaanK
    July 2009
    So much mumbo jumbo. From what I've heard when there are Surfers out there they are super laidback and stoked to see the boogers ride the wave. The West Coast crew get the waves they want out there regardless of the crowd. Plus that's a sick photo. Everyone is so focused on the BAD and the GLOOM. There is some seeeek international coverage of SA hitting soon and then everyone will see the mighty Devil's Horn and hopefully move on after 5 years booby seeking and praise the new champion. Hahaha now go look at http://sheepalign.blogspot.com/. Byebye. XoX.
  • ElementreeElementree
    July 2009
    I must say that I was quite concerned when I first saw this post and read the intro to the article on their website, but as has been mentioned countless times on this thread it seems not worth getting too bothered by.

I will admit that I was bleak when I found out that Peter had submitted shots since he was one of the guys who tried his utmost to keep the spot under wraps - blindfolding the few he took up, rotating shots, editing out landmarks and giving false info as to his whereabouts on days he went there.

You know what though. Better one of us than one of them poachers and good for Peter for making some dosh out of this exploitation.

Lets face it the "Khoisan Ledge" isn't for amatures and when each mistimed take off could set you back in excess of R2000, for a new stick, I'd think twice before paddling out.

Nice that Zag don't mention it's name, but it's ok for some of us to do it while criticising the audacity of running the article.
    Double standards if you ask me.

There are likely to be confrontations as a result of this, but it will run it's course and the guys that deserve to be out there will earn the respect in order to ride the wave - the rest will fade away in time.

I agree with what Peter said to those who currently have their own little "secret spot" somewhere. Do your best to keep it secret for as long as possible. But don't be surprised when years down the line you arrived to find other hungry riders on "your" peak because if a secret is known by more than one person it isn't a secret.

Happy hunting...there's loads more to discover.
  • john O'Sullivan Dwaala
    July 2009
    does it rearly matter.............bodyboarding is the underground tunnel no one likes to look down , miff and disorted,
    "OH so you boogie board", no your boyfriend boogieboards when he comes down to cape town from his high rolling job in JOZI, so leave us the &%$# alone" we are the shit, the one that coils in the porslen bowl before u nip it off, 'KLENCH' and flush it never to be seen in its full and smelly state.............

bodyboarding not about coverage,
    its about brotherhood,
    its not about goody too-shoe contest,
    its about 750ml and zip lock bags,
    it not about brands
    its about been poor and loving it
    its about whatever u want it to be, thats why I love it.....

die weskus is miskien die best kus, maar daar is ook n suid en oos kuis, so moenie worrie, die soap opera is laankal nie klaar nie, daar is nog baaie mooie meisie vat 6ft en cooking hulle bene sal op maak en jou a moerse barrel ge, HO$h
    just a bunch of rubbish
  • SmTSmT
    July 2009
    Sorry, Bodyboarding is DEFINITELY not associated with Zip Lock Bags in my World, maybe a couple beers with Mates though!
  • Spy Dude
    July 2009
    john O'Sullivan Dwaala wrote:
    bodyboarding not about coverage,
    its about brotherhood,
    its not about goody too-shoe contest,
    its about 750ml and zip lock bags,
    it not about brands
    its about been poor and loving it
    its about whatever u want it to be, thats why I love it.....

Dwalla... i am loving it, your post made me smile. :wink:
  • Damian...
    July 2009
    oaks?if peter did not send the shot in to the zag they would have mentioned the name then what?if i was peter i also would have sent the shot in to keep the name under raps.the article was gettin run anyway.and why are peaple complaning that they spot is being publisised when they blatently say the spots name on a forum?dont get it.and if i found a secret spot that was insane i wouldnt even show peaple photos.and if someone finds your spot than its probly your folt for telling someone anyway?hahaha
    away
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.