IS DK DEAD???

• SmTSmT
    July 2009
    I was reading an old issue of Riptide that asked that question on the Cover. The article was filled with comments from both Top Prone riders and DK riders. Obviously it ranged from guys like Ben Player saying there's no function and Damian King saying above 4-6ft it doesn't have a purpose.
    The responses from the DK Riders were along the lines of who cares? Who cares what others think? It's not about wanting to be in or cool, you ride DK because you like it.
    The Board Manufacturers were comparing DK Board Sales to Prone Board Sales which was a bit ridiculous, it's a given that DK is but a fraction of the market so there's no comparison.
    So what does everybody think? Is DK in a state of decline? What do the Prone Riders think? What do the DK riders think?
    What would you like to see in DK in South Africa? More stand alone DK Contests? DK Expression Sessions?
    Does anybody even CARE???

Bodyboarding 1,903 views

21 Replies

• dsc
    July 2009
    I must say I don't really see many kids riding DK these days... It is almost as if they love to watch their idols' high flying moves and rather go that route instead.

One thing for sure from my side though, I LOVE shooting DK. I think anyone who rides well on the knee in my opinion deserves as much respect.

Using Derek's shot in the latest zag as reference - you can't teach that barrel riding skill - it comes from practice over and over.

Look at guys like Spex, Rob Starke, you Sean, Wes Potts, Josh and Aden, Shmo, Greg Fraser, Dan Worsley (can he go right hahaha) and that is just pure class... almost better and more skillful to me than some stuff stand ups do.
  • dsc
    July 2009
    Look at this turn - seriously difficult to beat that.
  • adam1
    July 2009
    I reckon there should be some money pumped into DK in South Africa and the rest of the world for that matter. We need some companies to pull finger and sort out some sponsorship ...

Watching the DK comp at pipe I was constantly thinking how some more of our boys could easily have been causing chaos out there like Sacha was.

We have the tallent, just need backing from the corporations to put together a bigger/better tour.

There is nothing better than seeing some guy on the knee smashing into a thick closeout lip at a beachie or making the drop and getting seriously pitted at Kalk bay...
  • craigtrilivascraigtrilivas
    July 2009
    Yes yes yes DK is the shizzle and who cares what anyone thinks!

Its a style and art form unto its own, it cant be compared to prone man come now!
    For that to come out of a Pro's mouth to me is actually offending cos it comes from a person who has been in the sport for a long time and still cant put into context.

Think about it, sum okes on the knee can rip a wave apart better than any standup and i feel that its not fair to compare the 2 even tho they r in the same sport.

Yes prone boards will probly 4eva sell more than DK templates why.....cos its how bbing is seen hence the werd "BODYboarding".
    The fact that okes have taken the time out to perfect waveriding having nothing but a frikkin rail and maybe a channel and the fact that they can carve just as well as a surfer who has skegs etc... is frikkin awesome to the maximillion and u cannot deny that.

RESPECT to all DK warriors :wink:

Dont gimme that " it has no place in waves above 6ft" kuk cos as far as Im concerened okes that can make that drop in sizes above that r true waveriders or oceanmen cos its harder thats why :evil:

cheesus tits almighty im sorry if i seem to be blowing a gasket here but if u compare it to rollerblading and skateboarding, i once asked a kid why he rollerbladed instead of skating and he answred " cos its so much harder!"

Case closed, DK stands alone as a very special version of the bodyboard and i wont ever let it die, well as long as Im riding at least and even then i will teach my kids the way of the sickness!

As for templates im a pavement special cos only a few DK specific ones work for me and theyr not the tradtional ones ask mr Fraser and he will tell u LOL, mainly cos I grew up learning the way of the knee on prone shaped boards.

Dk 4eva man, we need to stick 2gether.

thats my werd.
    July 2009
    Exibit A....Im now stoked dking a science Mcarthy!!!
    WTF???
    see prone stick but im fully stoked to knee it in any size so bring the 6ft!

Go figure 8)
  • Chinnychinchin
    July 2009
    I think as long as there is a desire to ride waves in all different ways there will be DK. It was born out of the pure stoke of getting barreled and will live on forever......It might not be the most functional way of riding a wave, as skegs give you more speed and drive out of your turns, BUT not much can beat that kiff feeling of cranking a rail warping turn or sitting in that sweet spot under the lip.....and to do that on the backhand is an art in itself. If you can rip the DK you are part of a select few, a clan unto itself.

Stand alone DK contests, nah I don't see the point, but I'd say if its on a boogie it should be part of the whole BBing contest circus. I recon take away the whole prone/DK division and let everyone rip however they want, boogie should be like it was in the old school.....Sandybay Contest 1988 Mike Stewart (prone) against Danny Kim (Stand up) and Jack Lindholm (DK) against some other prone cat. The beauty and uniqueness of the boogie is you can ride however you want, look at Spex in that heat at the K-Bay contest, DK cause he wanted to, thats keeping it real!!

I think DK faded and standup boogie died when they separated the contests.
  • Scarecrow
    July 2009
    DK will NEVER be dead!!!!

Bru I prone 80% of the time, but I love that 20% when I do DK, especially if it involves getting a DK pit at KBay :twisted:

It's a completely different perspective of the wave and especially the barrel when you're on the knee. And for those that think DK is boring...head out into waves over 5-6ft and ride it on the knee. It's a huge rush (and challenge), especially the take-off!!
  • doclach
    July 2009
    DK lives strong and shizzles the knizzle. So good to see such strong respect and understnding for the Jack Stance crew from a lot writing here.
    A mate of mine, Clayton Pickworth in fact runs a dedicated DK site and some dedicated DK comps each year. You can go see here:
    http://dksessions.com/
    Some overseas riders coming this year include Roach and Alex Gero.

On the Riptide Forum we have a dedicated DK section, "DK Soldiers" and there are a lot of interviews and some pretty indepth discussion on the art of the knee, as well as some very underground riders I've rustled up from around the place - including Tasmania, as well as some higher profile Oz dudes like Kim Feast, Dane Pope, Justin Welsh and a host of others.

does size matter? the ever-pressing question...hahah.
    Well if it does, perhaps this clip will assist in dispelling some of the myth that DK only happens in 'smaller' waves. the following is Feast hitting up a WA break called North Point. He is regularly witnessed there taking it on at 10ft (in Oz we usually use the Hawaiian measure of back of wave), so 10 foot will be a 20ft face kinda thing. Don;t think he has footage of that size, but here is some pretty reasonable stuff anyway. Bear in mind most of the footage is more than 3 years old, I'll scratch around and see if i can find some more recent.
    http://www.vimeo.com/3917312

just thinking that some may not have internet access at high enough speed for the vimeo, so I'll put in a pic that gives an idea also: this is a pretty old shot, Alex is a sick photog, so photog critical eyes please allow for that. If you want to see Alex's latest work , he has a website at http://www.alexanderturoy.com.au/

Rider: Kim Feast West Australia Photog: Alex Turoy
    3ef8a8a9.jpg

Also I've noticed over here how many groms are hitting the knee, so much more than even last year. Plus on my regular trips to Blackrock (famed Oz booger break) it is pretty regular to see okes raising the knee there, such as shark Island local Sully:
    Rider: Glenn Sullivan Photog: Rich Robson
    2681e2de.jpg

Personally I stoke to the max on seeing the art of the knee performed. In my opinion we need more exposure to it to mix the scene up.

oh yeah, someone here wrote about it being in comps, technically comps are mean to be 'open' so a rider ought to be able to prone/DK/stand-up boogie depending on what he/she sees as best suiting the wave - however this seems to have changed in a lot of comp marking formats (unfortunately).
    In my local comp we use the 'old school' approach of this.

This year I did an eye opening interview with Kainoa McGee (respex Kainoa) and I'll quote some of it here (from rippy forum):

Quote:
    Doc: You're a legend in DK, one of our declared "Statesmen"... Tell us as much as you can about your years on the knee - the initial transition, the rides, the comps, your individual art and style.

KM: I've been drop kneeing, or what we called it when I was kid was jack stance, for as long as I can remember. I never separated it from prone riding it's all just bodyboarding. The fact that throughout these past decades or so it's been separated so much is gay to me. I like the fact that there is a DK division because it will push the competitors to DK waves that they would probably prone and helps to push the envelope on the knee. The fact that most drop knee guys or girls enter the quote "prone" contest which is actually an open contest, you can dk, stand up bodyboard or prone in these events if you want to, but they choose to prone so that they can advance that is totally the GAYEST thing that I can think of. I DK as many waves as I can in the open events and still give it everything that I have. DK is a part of what I do but it doesn't define what kind of bodyboarder that I am. I try to be as well rounded as possible but I'm not going to change the way I surf to please the judges or just to advance. Don't get me wrong if the wave that I'm catching determines that I should prone it then I will prone it. But I am definitely not going to prone every wave because it's an open event.
    "

just a few thoughts from down under,

cheers,
    Doc
    July 2009
    The nail, on the head was hit
  • Chinnychinchin
    July 2009
    Freakin hek, those clips are just pure DK SICKNESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is some SERIOUS rail control.....

I can't wait for work to be over so I can go hit up K*****s this arvo on the DK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!
  • Spy Dude
    July 2009
    yawn..... is it weekend yet...
  • Len at ScienceLen at Science
    July 2009
    i am just to stiff and old to get my one knee on the board. still love to see the champs rip on one knee.
    July 2009
    Even tho i have a gammy knee.....i'll always drop it like its hot fo sho :lol:
  • Chinnychinchin
    July 2009
    I couldn't get up DK on a wave last week cause my I tweaked my freakin hip......hahahahahahahahahahaha was so funny I rode the wave on my hands and knees. hahahahaha

Geriatric Boogers of the world unite!!!! hahahahahahahaha
  • dsc
    July 2009
    Shmotown
  • doclach
    August 2009
    ^^ super sick pic :twisted:

DKSessions Tiona is on this weekend 1st and second of August. Have a look around the DKS site the next couple of days for pics and info if the knee is your thing.

http://www.dksessions.com/

shred it up lads!

Doc
  • doclach
    August 2009
    DKSessions 09 Heat draw and Results
    http://dksessions.com/

Round One (1st,2nd to Qr-Finals)

Heat 1
    Red Dane Pope QLD 1
    White Anthony Verges NSW 3
    Yellow Adam Rose QLD 2

Heat 2
    R Mat Klimowicz NSW 1
    W Aaron Matthews NSW 2
    Y James Kaczmarek NSW 3

Heat 3
    R Mark Roser NSW 2
    W Aaron Carter NSW 1

Heat 4
    Red Jake Sharp NSW 1
    White Ken Nakatsugawa JAP 3
    Yellow Mike Dobson WA 2

Heat 5
    R Alex Gero USA 3
    W Nathan Luton-Koerber QLD 2
    Y Grant Molony NSW 1

Heat 6
    R Kim Feast WA 1
    W Chris Harris NSW 3
    Y Daniel Coy NSW 2

Heat 7
    Red Justin Welsh VIC 1
    White Tom Donnelly NSW 2
    Yellow Rob Richards NSW 3

Heat 8
    R Keegan Cronin NSW 1
    W Adam McHugh NSW 2
    Y Tom Frame NSW 3

TURBO EXPRESSION SESSION
    Red PAUL ROACH USA
    White MAT LACKEY AUST
    Yellow GRANT MOLONY AUST
    Orange MAT KLIMOWICZ AUST
    Pink KIM FEAST WA

QUARTER-FINALS

Heat 1
    Red Dane Pope QLD 2
    White Mat Klimowicz NSW 1
    Yellow Marc Roser NSW 4
    Orange Mike Dobson WA 3

Heat 2
    Red Aaron Carter NSW 3
    White Jake Sharp NSW 1
    Yellow Adam Rose QLD 2
    Orange Aaron Matthews NSW 4
    Heat 3
    Red Grant Molony NSW 1
    White Kim Feast WA 3
    Yellow Tom Donnelly NSW 4
    Orange Adam McHugh NSW 2

Heat 4
    Red Justin Welsh VIC 2
    White Keegan Cronin NSW 1
    Yellow Nathan Luton-Koerber QLD 3
    Orange Daniel Coy NSW 4

SEMI-FINALS

Heat 1
    Red Mat Klimowicz NSW 1
    White Jake Sharp NSW 2
    Yellow Dane Pope QLD 3
    Orange Adam Rose QLD 4

Heat 2
    Red Grant Molony NSW 3
    White Keegan Cronin NSW 1
    Yellow Adam McHugh NSW 4
    Orange Justin Welsh VIC 2

FINAL

Red Mat Klimowicz NSW 3
    White Keegan Cronin NSW 4
    Yellow Jake Sharp NSW 1
    Orange Justin Welsh VIC 2

Official Results are
    1st Jake Sharp
    2nd Justin Welsh
    3rd Mat Klimowicz
    4th Keegan Cronin

Sponsors
    Sundowner Holidays http://www.sundownerholidays.com
    Turbo Surf Designs http://www.turbosurfdesigns.com.au
    Liquid Malishahttp://www.liquidmalisha.com
    No Clones http://www.noclones.com
    Welsh Design
  • Subterrainean
    August 2009
    DK is definitely here to stay... it just adds an extra dimension to your session when you can put the knee up.
    It mixes it up and keeps it exciting. Couldnt imagine just proning, or just DK'ing...every wave calls for a different approach. Depends what mood you in on the day..

Here's a few shots from the deep south
    DK4eva
  • doclach
    August 2009
    ^^Super sick shots Subterranean (mad name). would love to share 'em in Oz sometime.

Kim Feast sent though some shots from DKSessions Tiona, so dropping them by:
    [attachment=2]740F7820-Edit-Edit.jpg[/attachment]
  • doclach
    August 2009
    and a couple more:
  • doclach
    August 2009
    [attachment=0]triggsnap.jpg[/attachment]There is a 16 yo from Perth WA whom Kim Feast is giving some big rep (see prev posts in this thread of Kim's riding if you aren't sure who he is on the Oz scene). So thought I'd drop a couple of Liam's images by.
    the shot below, speedblur, I like for its artistic bent - Dk is an artform in certain senses, and this shot it a great reflection of that. frothing on the black on green contrast. Photog Shane Nenner

Top shot,snapcity, by Pratley, is just sick... haha

Doc
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.