What happened at Wedge?

• questionwhy?
    July 2009
    has anyone got an idea of what happened at Wedge?
    daily updates till thursday and then nothing
    no photos nothing

Bodyboarding 1,162 views

14 Replies

• Spy Dude
    July 2009
    The great Plett Myth....

• July 2009
    dont know hey maybe they are still stuck on day 2 ?? :roll:

rumor has it there was absolutely no media coverage of the contest at all because they werent interested in media coverage this year. What a joke if you ask me...by the way to set things straight i dont work with anyone or anything specific, i just know loads of people who i chat to all the time locally and internationaly about bodyboarding so this is all info that gets run past me all the time, free surf and shoot when it interests me....

pay a local grommie R500 a day to a days coverage with some peanut butter and jelly sammies + buddy bottle coke and have images by 8pm that night prepped and ready for web / updates etc - not done means no pay if miss deadline (better then getting nothing). Doesnt have to be top end photographers but get something going, sheesh ill be blunt and open about this.

Ive been trying to get Yamaha on board for the last 6 months and made some good contacts. The end of the day they said they wouldnt be interested in sponsoring bodyboarding cause there is no coverage of the events, this comes straight from the big sponsors mouths not mine and also many other owes ive talked to. Im running previous events past them and they are saying back to me well where is the coverage / images, previous contests i could show some stuff but all recentl stuf over the last year or so basically nothing good or solid. And its true, got writeups thanks to Gareth and whoever else did the pre-writeups id imagine, but no images etc for this plett contest. How many entrants were there and not one person had a camera or there is no internet in Plett??? There hasnt been one image that ive seen on facebook or sixty40 about plett this year and even the owes i paddle with all the time are asking the same questions.

ill forecast if things dont take a serious turn very shortly there probably wont be anymore good contests running in SA of good nature. All the good ones keep falling away cause the people who run it / SABA dont seem to be bothered about media coverage or doing it right, this is imperitive or you aint going to get good sponsors on board and everyone knows it the truth! You can get good media coverage for super cheap now with upcoming togs who will be stoked! The sick plett contests i remember was where there was so much media coverage from everyday / pics in the surf cafe at night when owes went there afterwards / video clips etc was EPIC!!!

Ive bumped into a few Durbanites recently in CT and asked them what they doing down here cause of Plett and they usually on it, but they said they couldnt really care cause the contest vibes are going down hill very fast. They dont seem bothered and couldnt care less. Owes are losing interest in this sport fast and need someone to sort it right out! I dont have time as working 2 jobs but even when was offering helping hand in areas owes still wouldnt listen or be bothered to make the changes needed. Until this happens stop complaining about sponsors and surfing!

ps Derek Footit nice full page spread in ZigZag!!

I propose SABA should go and sit down with a small company and make some media arrangements with contracts that ensure each SABA affiliated contest or even if not big ones that can shape the future of the sport are covered. This can be managed through one person or individuals based on an event basis.

We all have the skills and brains so why cant we just put our heads together and get things going? We should be learning from our mistakes from the past, to be honest if this was the case bodyboarding would be way ahead of what it was now. Back in the day 5 - 10 years ago i rate bodyboarindg was way bigger and more hype to it! The old days contest like the Dairy Classic in Natal and Coke Contests used to rock! Big towers, owes were all over it and was sick just to be seen there...

thats my 2 cents worth, hate it or love it. Ive been asked to step down from posting stuff and being involved on the sixty40 website by numerous people and thats why i keep down low now. Ill show myself once in a while but got better things to do with my time....its winter and time to hibernate / eat cookies / go surf again.

till next time good luck and hope things can start to come together and owes can learn from mistakes like this again. Put your bit of effort back into the sport cause the more you care about it the more you will enjoy it :)
  • StJohnLombard_Bodyboarder
    July 2009
    I was in the water with everyone on the 2 days before the comp, and have a few shots from the day before the comp, but thats about it!
    Met some really sick oaks. Rat is a legend! haha gonna enter next year.
  • SmTSmT
    July 2009
    Wow!
    I'd just like to shed some light on this years Wedge Classic. 2 Months ago there was no contest, Nomad Bodyboards stepped in and agreed to sponsor Board Prizes for each division and get the ball rolling. Up until 5 days before the contest there was still very little in the way of a fully organised contest.
    So let me just say that for a contest that was run with the bare minimum it actually came off quiet well.
    Just a couple things to sort out Mark:
    1. R500 is unfortunately way too much money to just pay some grom to do a write-up and take Pics, especially when money is tight as it is.
    2. The idea of a seperate media co. handling that side of things was mooted at the SABA AGM 2years ago, not sure what's happened recently so it's not like it's a new idea. Unfortunately money is again the issue. How do we get money? We have bigger contests. How do we get bigger contests? We have better coverage. Bit of a catch 22.
    3. Those big contest Towers for The Coke Comp were generally assembled for the Gunston or Mr Price Pro, we just happened to be allowed to use them.
    4.I fully agree with you that Contests were much bigger, but at the moment there aren't that many companies out there that will be willing to fork out big wads of cash thanks to the whole "Recession" excuse. So obviously contests will be smaller. Look at the Shark Island Contest!

So be critical but understand that this contest was very lucky to happen in any shape or form. Think what the sponsors will feel when they see how you've blasted there efforts, no matter how big or small. Constructive criticism or not. Maybe take a step back and actually be present at the contest so you get first hand experience before you write it off.

I would like to mention a HUGE thanks to the Sponsors, namely
    BITOU TOURISM who came in at the last minute.
    NOMAD BODYBOARDS
    THE SURF SHOP
    There were tons of others that sponsored prizes that were really appreciated, thanks.
    On a personal level, big thanks to Pat Harris for pulling it together so well and Mike van Huysteen who represented SABA Exco and made sure Sponsorship Contracts were in order.
    Lastly, thanks to Wes Mcquillan who managed to make the contest an overall success after only agreeing to help 5days before the contest. As well as Gio and his wife who also managed to really pull out the stops to help out.
    The contest actually went off quiet well thanks to these people, if they only agreed to help out 5days before, imagine what it's going to be like next year because they all said they've already started working on the plans for 2010.

The winners of the 2009 Wedge Classic :
    Boys: Stephen Du Preez
    Men: Jot De Lauwere
    Masters: Wes Mcquillan
    Ladies: Lyndal Pells
    DK: Darren Halse
    Juniors: Adam Waites
    Pro: Mark Watts

• July 2009
    dude,

you need to make this clear to owes firstly! Contest dont bother me one bit and have no interest them in them, its just quite shocking to see this happen again...

If there is no budgets, make a plan! There must have been how many 50 - 100 owes on the beach and no one owns a camera or knows how to take any pics what soever? You need to realise that this isnt being destructive to the sponsors, its the way how the event was run that isnt the best for the sponsors.

remember with events your sponsors should be placed first and it should be in there best interests!!! 3 days after the event finished there still is not one pic on the biggest south african bodyboarding online community and not even a write up. Sorry no excuses whoever you are this is just pathetic and there are loads of owes who agree who are way more envolved then myself.

think everyone is just tired of excuses at the end of the day. If you want to run a contest and make it sick then do it right. The other problem is why the heck are you only trying to get a contest which should be a main one as big as this in only 2 months?!! this should be signed off with everything about 4 - 6 months before the contest kicks off. This is why you get such last minute rush.

The other problem is that people are too selfish and worrying about themselves. This can be simply turned around, ie scrap one bodyboard / wettie or whatever it might be and turn that into something for media coverage?! There you go media coverage sorted and if its not cash make a prize for the best shots etc of the event wins a board, its simple logic just put your heads together.

SOOO, how much was spent on the whole event? Maybe give us a breakdown then if you know it? Sounds like 7 divisions which means atleast everyone that comes first usually gets atleast a board and extras. Dude we all know that prize money in events like this cause be easy R20 000 and upwards.

You owes just need to think and plan a little more which is quite simple to do, well should be. If Ian Thurtell can pull a contest out of his magic hat in a few months and blow it up to be something super sick then why cant Wedge do this since its been running for so long??? From what ive know wedge to be as long as i can remember it just gets worse off every year.

Maybe you should conider, if you cant change the people change the people.

If everyone wants to ride kiddy contests then they should all just shutup and stop complaining, if you want good contests with sick prizes and bodyboarding to grow then pull your finger out your a$$ and start doing something about it.
    Quote:
    How do we get money? We have bigger contests. How do we get bigger contests? We have better coverage. Bit of a catch 22.

well media coverage doesnt have to cost anything, and you will never get big contests till you get media done right. Its the same applied with everything from companies of whatever sort to bands / surfing etc. They know they need to spend money to make money and for this they want atleast some photos to say thanks or show what the event it about.

so take it your finishing line with the winners is all the finishing off / write up this contest is going to get? We shouldnt have to have people like you posting this stuff because the media coverage should be sorted out. This is what im saying is quite a joke, ive just seen spex posting images on facebook but not one person has one picture or final summary / breakdown for the community of sixty40?

• July 2009
    well hope with SA Champs this year things will be pulled together in time. Last years SA Champs which is the biggest bodyboarding event in SA had coverage, HOWEVER if you noticed closely that all the pics that eventually went through was of owes free riding and not one from the contest!!! What was that about?!
  • ConorConor
    July 2009
    Hectic!
    Mark i agree with you man coverage is key! For future reference why dont the organisers just ask for help? if they need something done but they dont have enough hands then ask the community? We are all here to work together as a BB community. Flip i would gladly provide coverage theres nothing bad about sitting on the beach the whole day. :mrgreen:
  • RussellRussell
    July 2009
    Hey Mark

We sponsored the Cave Rock contest earlier this year on a fairly tight budget, the event ran very successfully and as sponsors we were happy with what SABA offered us in return for our investment. I think it just initially depends on clear and concise communication between sponsors and organisers prior to the even being run with regard to what sponsors are wanting in return for the money spent. Its in my opinion "asking for trouble" by hastily arranging a contest 5 days prior to it starting. But make no mistake the sponsors that committed were there for bodyboarding, not their exposure, otherwise they would not bother and the event would not happen at all. But yep I do agree that someone from SABA or a volunteer rider etc could have taken one or two pics for the bodyboarding fraternity to be kept up to speed. Cheers Russell Shaw
  • Elianderthehateful
    July 2009
    Quote:
    thanks to the whole "Recession" excuse

Uhm...don't think it's really an excuse...just kinda worldwide economic downturn 's all.
  • KellyKelly
    July 2009
    This event was a rescue mission.

2 months ago this event was not going to happen and credit to those that put their hand up and made it happen. Last year's organisers were out of the picture and unlike all other contests, this event is not run by the local province - SCBA no longer exists.

The view taken was that it would be harder to revive the event next year if it fell off the calendar this year and that next year's event will be a better event if a new organising committee was put together this year. Plus the fact that the SABA Circuit would be a bit lean without this event.

So the comments above and criticism needs to be viewed in this context please.

This event was run on a shoestring budget and the fact that media was poor could in some respect be put down to the fact that there are so few people willing to actually volunteer and those who were running the event.

To those who made sure this event did happen - RESPECT! Thank you for putting up your hands and taking the responsibility to make a difference. I wish there were more like you!

So, to everyone - please rather look forwards to 2010 than backwards at this event (with a rescue mission there were bound to be mistakes). And if anyone was at this year's event who thinks that they could help with next year then I can put you in touch with the organisers (mail me at [email protected]). Much of the issues above are sorted out with funding and they are working on securing the sponsors already for next year's event and hopefully making it a 6A contest.
  • Spy Dude
    July 2009
    Long live the Kalk Bay Shoot Out, by bodyboarders for bodyboarder. No remose, No regrets!
    Its the idea that counts, nothing else really.

Love that word CANT.. cant do this, cant do that... Bleery heck, Barrack won it on CAN.. YES WE CAN!
    Problem/solution... find it.

• July 2009
    Hey Kelly,

thanks for clearing this up for everyone, unfortunately miscommunication can go the wrong way quite easily.

I understand everyone's questioning that was put up here due to certain reasons / committees etc. Thing is people were getting along well and pics would have just given that good vibe to it even if it was taken with a cellphone camera etc. There was good updates all the way till Day 2 of the event and then it just fell of the face of the earth?

This was the concern for people as its already the following week and latest writeup sits at day2 still. If writeups had atleast been completed right through to the last day that would have been epic and maybe there could have been a mention in it for people to submit there pics / announced on the beach if they had the speaker phone?

The other down side to this is that everyone starts moving away from sixty40 community cause they are getting more accurate and up to date info on facebook. I know cant stop this but if the event finishes for the day should be up by latest the very next morning cause there are a crowd of followers.

Myself and other people got more info from Sean's update and facebook comments than anywhere else...

thats why hoping that going forward owes will learn from this and stop it from happening over and over again. As Connor mentioned there are more then a handful of owes that will be stoked to help out in anyway even not for pay. I remember when started shooting with media etc i was even stoked to see my shot online with an article and it encourages the future of media coverage also as groms will be stoked to check their pics with there names and gives them good exposure - leading to pushing more into contests / coverage and mag shots etc as it flows on...

Kelly ill drop you a proposed simple solution, maybe it has been tried maybe it hasn't but just a thought going forward as i know there is a lot of committee members and people all over the show and hear most of its know as behind closed doors and rather not come forward vibe which i understand and you seem to be atleast on top of things.
  • Rob Scott
    July 2009
    Im an architect who couldnt get to the contest but instead am spending hours behind computor.
    I wouldve loved some feedback on what was happening. Surely it cant be that complicated?
  • hip.kid
    July 2009
    Wow it's the 15 July and there is still no feedback/photos from wedge classic past day 2.

This is really slack guys, I use this site to get such information
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.