fitness

• Juan Pienaar
    June 2009
    Sup fellow sponge rides, last week end i went to North beach Durban, it way cooking +-5ft waves.... the only thing that warrys me is if i want to board big waves like that how fit amust one be? I'm not a gym junky but not a couch potato ither but is there a level of fitnes reqiured to pull in to some of those big sett's? :roll: and if so what do you guys do too keep fit like jog etc

Coaching 1,481 views

3 Replies

• KellyKelly
    June 2009
    You don't have to be a gym junky at all and while the gym will help for some cross training it is not typically the type of fitness which you need to ensure that you are confident out in bigger surf.

Paddle fitness

The more you're in the water the stronger a paddler you'll become. Use your arms! A sponge isn't as buoyant as a surfboard so you'll tire more easily than if you're paddling on a surfboard but that doesn't mean you should not use them. Try paddle through the burn a bit and then alternate between paddling with your arms and your legs. You don't want to tire yourself out by sprint paddling each session as you'll want to have energy when you're on the wave but if you're not a good paddler then you want to build up your paddle strength and endurance.

Your aim should be to get yourself to a point where you're confident that you can paddle (or swim) yourself out of trouble. If you're competing, then being paddle fit will enable you to catch more waves than your competitors and there is nothing more embarrassing than not being able to make it out the back for your heat.

Pushing yourself in larger surf

Everyone has their limits - for some "big" is bigger than others. Maybe you want to ride bigger than your mates and maybe that is what will drive you. What you should do however is focus on you and build up your ability and confidence in bigger surf.

Start by making sure you're fit - the more you're out in the water paddling, the more you'll improve your paddle fitness. Include some cross training (read this article by Alistair Taylor). When bodyboarding and especially in larger surf, you need bursts of energy e.g. to sprint paddle into a wave or out of trouble. And what you want is to not end up so exhausted that when you are on the wave you can't do anything (again if you're competing this will become so much more apparent). If you are running or swimming to keep fit then to simulate this you need to introduce a few speed bursts e.g. jog 5 lamp posts and pick up the pace for 1 lamp post.

A little exercise which I used to do on the beach, early morning or after a surf, was mark off a start point, a 10m point, 30m and 40m then I would jog the first 10m, sprint 20m, then jog the final 10m, drop down and do 10 push-ups and then turn around and repeat and do this 10 times. This was quite a killer for me but when you get your fitness up you really improve your confidence in bigger surf because you don't get as tired.

All this will help improve your lung capacity, but what you should realise is that you might be able to hold your breath for 2 minutes in the bath but when you've been paddling for what seems ages and couple with that the fact that big surf will trigger your adrenaline which increases your heart rate and it's need for oxygen then you're going to battle holding your breath for a few seconds.

Working specifically on lung capacity, you can try swimming under water or holding your breath for a few seconds while running. I never used to do any of this but there are ways to improve this - Ishmael Grant apparently runs up Table Mountain with a face mask which restricts his air intake.

The important thing to remember when riding bigger surf is to stay calm - RELAX! If you're getting a huge set wave on the head then just accept the beating and trust that you will be coming up within 10 seconds and probably less - count while you're under water 1-mississippi-2-mississippi-3-mississippi-4-mississippi-5-mississippi ... by the time you reach 6 you'll probably have surfaced already and you'll surprise yourself at how short the hold under's are when you do start counting. Just don't panic and you'll breeze through them - if you panic then you're going to send your heart rate through the roof, meaning it will want more oxygen. Try enjoy the beat downs - don't fight it and wait till you're no longer getting thrown around before swimming to the surface.

All in all - if you want to be able to pull into bigger waves then you need to be confident in your ability i.e. you can hold your rail, make the drop and bottom turn in the bigger stuff and when it does come to getting a beating (because you will at some point) that you will be able to handle it.
  • Juan Pienaar
    June 2009
    Shot Kelly, information will be put to use ...............
  • morrisminormorrisminor
    June 2009
    Good advice from the Kel, would like to add a little more.

With respect to catching waves and hard paddles out the back, the body part that takes the most strain is probably the Shoulders and upper arms. You very rarely here ous tuning :"Jeez, my lats are burning' or "I can hardly move my upper legs".
    Yep, the shoulders are the point of failure on many boogers (and surfers) out there today.

The solution is simple. Without setting out an entire program, let me state it like this.

Twice a week, train your shoulders. By train, I mean hit each shoulder from 3 angles, for 3 sets of 10 each angle:

Rear (bent over lateral raises,behind the neck presses),side (lateral raises,dumbell pullups) and front (dumbell raises).

Then, to finish off and pump your nearly tired muscles full of nice, rich blood do one of the following:3 x 10 Military Press
    or push ups until your face is hitting the floor. Seriously.

Combine this with 250 varied situps (It sounds crazy when you start, but seriously, my little Irish girlfriend can get to like 300 sometimes) and you are on your way to being a late 90s Tamega clone.

My subjective opinion is that the extra muscle volume lends an element of control and power to my riding, not to mention confidence.

i should probably mention that as I last surfed and trained about 8 months ago, there are probably better counsellors out there.

later
    morgan
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.