Heading To J-Bay

• StJohnLombard_Bodyboarder
    April 2009
    Folks are taking me up to Jbay in the june holidays for a week(mid winter, winter swell! :mrgreen: ) gonna also surf Plett and maybe Mossel bay.

I know Jbay is More a Surfers destination, but i'm still keen. Just wanted to know if anyone has been there, what spots are kiff for bodyboarders, i know supertubes, but its quite a fast wave, whats the vibe like? locals? bodyboarders maybe get no respect?? anything like that, please let me know!

SO STOKED! :mrgreen:

Cheers.

Bodyboarding 1,955 views

13 Replies

• ConorConor
    April 2009
    Hey bro!!
    Lucky guy i think it gets good then!!!
    I was just there for these past holidays and got some good stuff bro!
    I mainly just surfed supers as to me it makes no sense to surf any other spot thats close to such a kiff break.....
    I couldnt find any where else better anyway....
    the one thing i did find was that i was the only boogie out there and i felt a bit intimidated by these ripping standups..
    I got tuned once or twice by guys who reckon that boogies are good shark bait and if a shark comes they are lucky i am there as great whites enjoy flippers :cry:
    so yeah its not the most bodyboarder friendly town from what i experienced but the waves are really special
    and if you keep to yourself and respect the guys and their waves i rate it will be hunky dory.... :mrgreen:
    Have fun
    April 2009
    Thanks man, i've been told im attracting sharks a couple of times hey! its swak as hell....
  • ronald911ronald911
    April 2009
    I was in J-bay, mid January, scored the Point, Tubes and salad bowls. Was for 3 days in a row good good offshore +-4ft.
    Tubes, The Point, and Coins a a few fun wave (section). Not as crowded as Supertubes. When I was there, there were easy 60guys scratching for waves at supers. Tubes is a really kiff spot, really shallow reef but the wave just does what it suppose to do, hence its name TUBES. The waves at jbay run for hundreds of meters (thats what made the spot famous.)

There is a pretty good vibe in the water, if your not the only bodyboarder. I was once the only bodyboarder in the water and some standup guy tuned me for being a bodyboarder... I didnt really care about what he tuned me cause the waves was cranking :D! The surfers also tend to Drop-In on your waves, absolutely careless :( :( !!

But like Conner said, Have respect to the locals, waves and everything around you. Be polite, greet the owe next to you in the lineup just to show your cool and that you wont be a problem.

WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT DROP IN ON A LOCAL, ESPECIALLY IF HE IS PART OF THE JBU.

But im sure you wont have problems there and that you will score some of the best waves of your life!.

I'm also going during the July holidays. I will probaly go out at the other down the point, as I dont want to be in the way at supers when the Billabong is on.

Also dont forget to check out Cape St. Francis! There is some absolutely SICK waves too. Can get almost just as good as Jbay.
  • byron777
    April 2009
    jbay bru!!!that my home town.let me give you some advice.
    first of all supers is over rated.its crowded,terrible vibes towards the boogers and generally a more surfer friendly wave.
    but there are some real gems in jbay and around.
    check out tubes as said before,and just a 2 minute paddle from tubes is COINS.check out that spot,its a pure bodyboarding wave,hollow fast shallow.its a tricky wave to get used too because it seems to be in the middle of tubes and salads,the take off spot is hard to pin point exactly but its where the peachy coloured house(next that thatched house)is get in line with the satellite dish on the side of the house and be patient.it works on a rising tide with a building swell.sometimes when the swell is big like 6ft plus its a real mission to stay in position.you have to keep paddling,but this brings its rewards because the surfers cant hack the paddle,it puts to much strain on them.faggots!
    supers,salads,tubes all work on sw winds,if the nw wind is blowing(which it usually does on winter mornings)check out albatross-its almost like supers just less crowded and shorter.other places to check out is magnas and kablejauws beachie(its never crowded here).
    outside jbay the usual cape st francis is a damn fine wave especially the beachie.also check out dux..its on the other side of the cape st francis and also works on a nw wind.
    there are some great secret spots around jbay...just look and dont let the standups tune you.
    enjoy
  • Inky
    April 2009
    Go check out Fence in PE if you get a chance, on a good swell. It's a wedging left by the harbour wall, works on a SW wind.

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Africa/So ... index.html

Anjoy Jbay bru you lucky bastard!
  • lyle
    April 2009
    supers has never worked while i was there! point was sick plus theres a good shorey!! cape st francis has a sick poit too. enjoy the holiday mate :D
    May 2009
    The billabong PRO is going to be on while im in J Bay :( :evil: :cry:
  • morrisminormorrisminor
    May 2009
    yeah....probably the best time ever to get really drunk and forget about surfing. Tell girls you are a pro surfer (in american)
  • Spy Dude
    May 2009
    I am going to jbay in August for a chill out session. Gonna be staying at 3 pepper street, and with the help of a few locals gonna try and unearth the best booger waves around the area.
    I am going on doctors orders...

St John ... Jbay during the billabong ROCKS bru, best party in South Africa at that time of year.

Might hit Plett, but the backpackers there all sux piles as they wont allow South Africans to stay there.
    Currently we are investigating which backpackers along the garden route discriminate against South Africans, so that we can either inform our foreign guest not to stay there and also avoid them ourselfs.

Its gonna become a personal crusade of mine.
    Must say Plett and Knysna are the worst of the bunch.
    Jbay rocks in this regard, they dont care where you are from and they treat everyone fairly and equaly.
    May 2009
    Got my accommodation booked! Me my folks and 2 mates, we staying in a holiday flat in Uys Road, its right on the beach,
    Situated near "Mangatubes"

Going on july 3rd till the 10th. anyone else gonna be up there besides ronald?
    June 2009
    Date of holiday changed due to the pro, we going from the 26th of june till the 3rd of july, then hitting plett from the 3rd till the 6th.

Spy, I'm gonna walk the coast in search of a new wave, or a hidden gem of some sort, and gonna document it all, maybe i'll find something before you get there in august :mrgreen:

Haha, super keen. also gonna be in plett right near the classic, so probably gonna meet alot of you, really keen.

be sure to greet, i'll be the young dude with the blue science trying to figure out how to ride the wedge, bailing and looking like a kook :D

Is it hard getting used to the wedge??
  • JAMES bye
    June 2009
    its not too bad... you will adjust quickly.... just be pepared for big launches as the wedge realy gives you allot of speed so you cant boost big.... in fact i learnt how to ARS srfing plett
  • Sambo
    June 2009
    stylin in Cape St. Francis :roll:
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.