shark island comp

• byron777
    April 2009
    check out http://www.riptidemag.com.au/index.php
    any rider who competed in the pipe comp this year and the forthcoming brazil comp wont be able to compete at this years shark island challenge.hectic.

Bodyboarding 401 views

1 Reply

• ElementreeElementree
    April 2009
    Yes well...

One has to look at it in the same way that the IBA did.

There just isn't enough money on offer and this is, in part, one of the primary reasons why we don't have an IBA event here in SA. I can understand that the IBA have standards and those standards must be stuck to in order to prevent every Tom, Dick and Harry with $10.000 from wanting to host an IBA event, but for the IBA Riders Board to impose such a ruling is nothing short of commercial suicide for the event - if not for the IBA.

Lets face it.

Bodyboarding, for a select few rippers, is a career and contests are their "cash-cows". Without sufficient capital on offer would it be worth their while schlepping to Oz and waiting around for a month before the contest kicks off?

The IBA Riders Board seem to have based their judgement on finances, as this is what the entire issue is about, and what (financially), the riders stand to earn if they compete. Like I say, it's all about standards and you wouldn't see Tiger Woods competing in the R10.000 Challenge at Sun City now would you?

The only thing I don't understand is their ruling.

No IBA contracted rider, who has competed in either the Pipe, or those who are competing in the coming Brazil events in April/May, can compete. This pretty much rules out all of the top riders and what is an event, such as the Shark Island comp, without the big names? Is it still Shark Island or is it just another comp?

My opinion is that "names" make an event, even if there are only a few of the pro's there, and the way it currently stands there will be some Oz underground ripper, probably local to the Island, taking top honours against a field of semi-pro's.

This in my mind doesn't make for the global spectacle usually associated with the comp, where the top riders from across the globe compete against one another for honours in what has to be one of the most highly anticipated bodyboarding events. Come on, Shark Island is huuuuge and probably only rivalled by Pipe as far as IBA events go and even without IBA points and loads of prize money I feel that a fair few IBA top 16 would be there if they were allowed to compete.

I don't think that prize money is the main issue for the riders.

Personally, and I might be speaking out of turn here, I think that most of the top riders would love to compete because it's not all about the money. It's about the honour of being crowned King of the Island for 2009!(Yes I know that I am repeating myself) Sure, it would be good to get a phat pay cheque for your efforts, but if the riders could cover their costs with what they won then so be it. Let them make the choice as to whether or not they want to compete for $10.000 as opposed to $20.000.

Good luck to the event organisers.
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.