SA Champs 09 venue.

• Jared HoustonJared Houston
    February 2009
    Hey guys.

Just wanna get a bit of feedback here.

Its bolands turn to host Sa champs this year,where would you, the riders, like the event to be held.

Cool bay caves, wedging right hander 40 mins from ct.
    Elands bay and surrounds, soft left hand pointbreak or right hand reef 2.5 hours from Ct.

Go wild.

South African Bodyboarding Association 4,197 views

43 Replies

• iammonster
    February 2009
    Hmmmm i would please like a beautiful setting, with grinding barrels and massive ramps!
    Huge boosts and big scoops!
    I also want to be able to leave the contest area and get into the city within 40 mins to go get loose when the sun gos down...

I reckon Cool Bay Caves ya mugs! hahaha

Yeeeeeewww!!
  • mac13
    February 2009
    Kool bay all the way, it’s a world class wave that is made for bodyboarding… and is super consistent. Cant think of a better location to have a contest…E bay is nice if it was SA champs for long boarding
  • Spy Dude
    February 2009
    um... is ebay in the boland? but if thats an option...

Kooel bay, been there, done that.... I like the west coast idea...

There is Ebay, Farmer burgers, Yo Yo, dumps... so many waves....

Its also fresh, never been used before and well unique
  • Ian
    February 2009
    from what ive heard they not focusing the contest at e-bay at all...???
    they wanna use other waves in the area....
  • Armandt Roux
    February 2009
    yeah cool bay will be sick......
    a decent beach break is awsome.
  • Robert Gray
    February 2009
    Ye, man as a durban groveller, its all about ebay
    remember when it was soft gay waves at long beach, central milked ows.
    central kzn's vote is with ebay.... hahahaha

koell bay is to good and too consistant!! dont hold it there!!!
  • Spy Dude
    February 2009
    I am loving this west coast idea...
    i might take a week of work and come drop in on contestants....

Ebay isnt soft, its only soft if you compare it to that other evil west coast right hand slab onto a rock that no one must name or speak of but everyone knows its name and where it is, so lets call it Mordor!!!!!

I totally love Ebay and actaully have punted the idea of a 100% pure DK contest there for years....

It will also be interesting to see the adaptation to a point break, okes will actually be surfing a wave, not pumping for one big boost. A cut back will actually count for something. Ps i have boosted my eppo airs at ebay many many times.

Thing is, with ebay as base, there is soooooo much potential, if its small and NE (ebay will be flat and sideshore) there is a wave about 15 minutes and R30 away, that is beyond world class.

Further up are a number of secret spots and lots of thorns.
    West coast thorns are a bitch.
    Will go through your shoe
    you have been warned.

AMP AMP AMP!!!
  • Ian
    February 2009
    E-bay point isnt made of sponge...ask mike-dei-cont!
    [attachment=0]n556195722_1849020_2219.jpg[/attachment]
    February 2009
    I personally would prefer to watch Bodyboarders do what they are renowned for,which is get stupid in hollow waves, than watch them fight a soft left point for a flip or two.
  • Spy Dude
    February 2009
    Ebay aint the only options
    Caves is a stapel, new venue, new option, adds a bit of spice to life....

Imagine macking Farmers or Dumps...

There is always Yo yos if you want the shorebreak, close out kinda stuff...
  • mac13
    February 2009
    Progressive body boarding is all about the launch. Not about the point break...shorter the better…
  • johno
    February 2009
    E bay is the softest ,most homosexual wave for a body boarding contest.
    Firstly if its good there guna be thousands of "burn the sponge" die hard old bullie surfers that dont and WONT give a continental about a boogieboarding contest.
    Secondly the backup waves in the area are so fickle its beyond ....

bye having it at e bay we basically saying body boarding is a panzie sport that uses surfers waves to slide around on .
    body boarding is all about boost and barrels . straight up and nothing else. might as well be knitting your gran a cardigan if you think its anything else.

you couldn’t ask for a better venue than cool bay its convenient , in the public eye, consistent , there waves for every sort of condition in the area (if cool bay is not good) and best of all its probably one of the BEST waves in SA for the sponge.
    From what I have heard all the boland guys that are competitive want it there.

Wake up, peace
  • Robert Gray
    February 2009
    sorry guys, its me the durban groveler....

i just think that you guys arent giving enough respect to the grovelling pentsenual element of bodyboarding. i just think that guys get obsessed with cranking lips and launching full body projectiles.... you know i really think bodyboarding is alot more than that.... if its at ebay the central guys willl be able to explores the greater facets of contests riding... you know, just like long cut backs into double forward, reverse, hubb, forward, cutbash, roll.....

You get what i'm saying hear, i mean lets look at it wholistically, combos and good timessssss.

last thing i wanna check... does pierre maqua think he's gonna be riding at SA champ's? if he is i pledge to rape his division, with strength and honour.

hahhahahaha

Love you all......

dont do ebay.... its really not an option..... its for fag riders like........ and daniel and jarod housten and sean tickner
  • SmTSmT
    February 2009
    Wahahahaha, Robbary you make me laugh too hard to be bummed with you calling me a fag!
    It's no contest for me, right or left? As a Natural-footer i'll always choose the Right break, too amped!
  • Marthinus
    February 2009
    mac13 wrote:
    Kool bay all the way, it’s a world class wave that is made for bodyboarding… and is super consistent. Cant think of a better location to have a contest…E bay is nice if it was SA champs for long boarding

+1

If they are considering elands bay then it would only be fair to consider muzienberg as well. wat u guys say? keen?
  • TiaanK
    February 2009
    Yup. Why not. Lets have Cape Classic, WP Champs and SA's at caves. After that can we can make flyers and tell the whole world about Caves. Then right after people get into it, I can start a surf camp there. Great idea. Why don't we just have every comp in SA's at Caves seeming as it is such a world class booger orientated wave. Who cares that it is the only decent spot we have and that it already gets packed. That doesn't matter. Lets get carloads full of folk and go hassle the shit outa those friendly Boland folk, that'll be lank cool and we can all have more waves than the whole world put together. But even better lets complain about stuff! Oh, lets do. I really fancy a complaining session. Elands BOOOO! BOOOO! That'll teach 'em! Hellz, I'm going to get burned now. Jzus, this is a retarded topic.
    February 2009
    oh come now,go fetch a dry pair of panties!
  • Adam Morley
    March 2009
    well its bolands turn to host the comp.. let them decide where it must be.
    and we all know who is gona win sas again if its at a crappy wave lol
  • Marthinus
    March 2009
    TiaanK wrote:
    Yup. Why not. Lets have Cape Classic, WP Champs and SA's at caves. After that can we can make flyers and tell the whole world about Caves. Then right after people get into it, I can start a surf camp there. Great idea. Why don't we just have every comp in SA's at Caves seeming as it is such a world class booger orientated wave. Who cares that it is the only decent spot we have and that it already gets packed. That doesn't matter. Lets get carloads full of folk and go hassle the shit outa those friendly Boland folk, that'll be lank cool and we can all have more waves than the whole world put together. But even better lets complain about stuff! Oh, lets do. I really fancy a complaining session. Elands BOOOO! BOOOO! That'll teach 'em! Hellz, I'm going to get burned now. Jzus, this is a retarded topic.

SA's was held at Caves back in 2001.
    The Boland Classic was held there numerous times if i remember correctly.
    The Cape Classic was held there in 2005.

If it weren't for the above mentioned facts I would also be concerned about the possible exploitation of the wave. But if it was going to happen it would surely have happened already. Or maybe it has already happened?
  • Spy Dude
    March 2009
    Over this as i dont compete, but Rob u welcome to come rape some okes if that turns you on... :wink:

Marty... Ebay is another muzemburg... ya boet, put another head of chronic in that bong and hit it HARD my bru.
  • Marthinus
    March 2009
    haha easy mr Marqua, it is apparent that u have taken things a tad personal.
    It is my own view that Caves is about 500 times better for bodyboarding than Ebay is. If your
    opinion differs then fine, but please dont get nasty not to mention immature about it :-).

Il be honest that i have only surfed Ebay a couple of times and, to me at least, it doesnt come
    across as the type of venue capable of consistently delivering waves that will encourage
    extreme bodyboarding to take place. And 'extreme bodyboarding' IS in fact wat we are aiming
    towards after all. Do you see bodyboarding going to the next level via cutbacks and flop rolls?
    It seems like an unlikely occurrence. To say the least.

For the record, im not taking part in SA's this year.

• March 2009
    Good on all of the posts so far.....
    Boland’s area is everything outside of Cape Town.
    Those that are beyond the age of nappies, or made the effort to do some reading and not look at pix drooling, will know that provinces were based on the Rugby unions.
    I just do not know how good the info is that you have on this issue. Boland wanted to use Kokorot and everyone started changing their diapers. So now when you are forced to leave the comfort of your local pub and need to meet your doom, WAY outside your own domain, in a place you only read about in surf magz. Or go to because your parents thought they will spoil you with a weekend away causing you to miss a 1 foot surf in the swimming pool.
    For the aphasians among us, between Ebay and Lamberts there are about 15 known surf spots. And of these only 3 is of the lame reef break kind as referred to by others. Then there are the bone crushing beach breaks that will send your pampered butt into a sandbar or mussel bed just for the fun of it because you do not show the needed respect.
    So here is the challenge to all that complain, take the time off and spend time on the west coast and go EXPLORE! I did and.....
    :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
  • Spy Dude
    March 2009
    ahhh come on bru, Jarod has already told everyone that its all soft reefs and the ALL the waves resemble muizenberg (i think marty tuned that one) After due consideration, i think we should leave the west coast out of the equation, cos seriously, its for wusses only. I skim coooool bay is the perfect option, with Stand and onrus as back options... :wink: If things get serious, we can always move the contest to fishhoek... it cooks bru, check out the latest 6040mag :roll:
    March 2009
    Haha.
    Ok you ous got me.
    My opinion still stands that elands bay is soft and suited to more to stand up surfing.
    The Known reefs between ebay and lamberts are pretty fun, nothing world class though.
    And Druid, while the beach break I assume you are talking about, is definitly one of the finest waves in our country, it only handles the morning winds(se being a lil cross-shore).True?

Adam Morley reckons its bolands turn to host the comp let them decide.
    I agree with this, the purpose of this thread was not to pursuade them otherwise, but rather to see how others were feeling about the call.I for one have waited 8 years to see SA'S at caves, so maybe im a lil bit blinded by my bummedness haha!
  • iammonster
    March 2009
    Coooooool bay when its on is probably one of the best beachies in the world for boogers!
    As far as big boosts go its ideal huge ramps!!! and yes weve all pointed out you can get nice solid barrels there!

It will be a crying shame if its not held there.... :cry:
    check crying....
    haha

• March 2009
    HAHAHAAAA....

Cool runnings guys. You obviously have not surfed it at 12ft plus and all the stand-ups are sitting right off the shelf to chicken to paddle to the back line.

And Ebay is only one of the venue. With the coldfronts still running through at that time of the year, you have the tail end of the northwestelies and then it is mainly southeast and toooooooomuuuuucchh swell for groveling to be at the order of the day. For the Onrus to Strand are, ex caves, you need northwest and allot of dry clothing and shelter for the sugar boys...
    8) 8) 8)
  • monkeymarkmonkeymark
    March 2009
    The banks at caves are fukt and the place is shark infested!!!!
    Weskus can deliver, plus u kaapstad ouens can keep your hussling skillz for Llands :shock:
  • dcmike
    March 2009
    Haha! You guys crack me up! I can see it already - Host at E Bay and all the hidden spots will be plundered and we can start a new thread on exposing spots - bwaaahaha! And yeah Druid, E-Bay can get good when it's big but I went up a month and a bit back when that 30 foot ocean swell hit mid week and it was pretty lame... All sectiony and not running at all an pretty weak. Of course I chose to ride boils on the inside and got owned! haha!
    Oh did I mention... Week day - 60 okes out, 2 boogers, 8 longboards, 2 minimals, 2 SUPs, 4 kiteboarders, 2 windsurfers... No boats but hell, what a mission to get waves!

Boland host, Boland decides - And those boys can braai! Bring on the good times!
  • Robert Gray
    March 2009
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!

Together now!!!! Adam and jarrod with the harmony now guys!

EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
    EBAY!
  • Len at ScienceLen at Science
    March 2009
    hi Guys

what will happen at SA Champs 2009.

all the provinces will stay at eureka holiday flats, self catering flats (all you need to bring is your own towels) on the beach road. Enougth flats to accomidate 300 riders. the owner will be one of the SA champs sponsers. Marcell Habit will be the contest director.

the Champs will be held were the best waves are. if E-bay is cooking thats were it will be, so with Farmers, Famous and Yo-Yo's. Reef and Science will be the main product sponsors and the local bussinesses and munisipality will be involved. There is some other guys that are interested. it will be a real wescoast treat.

in September the winds are really bad for Caves and Onrus. Caves do not have any beach and the chances that it will rain is 85%. the westcoast gets more swell and the wind is in its favour. all i can tell you is that it will be an experience and the best waves will be riden and will Marcell in charge it will be run profesional. well i am looking forward to the champs!!!
    March 2009
    And there you have it.
    Case closed.

Thanks for clearing that up len.
  • mac13
    March 2009
    haha good try jerry...but it looks like ur out of here!!!len 01 /jerry 00
  • Robert Gray
    March 2009
    lengiman lengiman lengiman....

i'll look forward to rolling and spinning you on the sand then!!
  • Len at ScienceLen at Science
    March 2009
    hi Rob

i hope that you will be in time for your heat, only person i have met that got negative persentage. think about it all the provinces staying right next to each other with each having his own balcony with a braai. i going to be such a party. just remember nobody in that town speaks english. so lekker oefen Robert aan jou afrikaans. Daniel and Mark has mastered the taal.
  • Spy Dude
    March 2009
    EPIC... finally weskus gets some action.
    Totally agree with len re caves and onrus...

I think its gonna be good for the sport and for the town of Ebay, nothing in comparison to the annual Kreef festival: 20 000 farmers from the binneland and surrounds, 1x weekend a year, 100 000 liters of branners n coke, bucket loads of dirt cheap kreef and all the poppies a soutie can muster.

I wont be competeing but will most proberbly be there in a media capacity

Len: is there a media house?
  • Count Olaf
    March 2009
    Never mind SA's, how do I get tickets to the Kreef festival
  • markjents
    July 2009
    MY OLDER BROTHER USED TO BODY BOARD!

pierre you of all people should be against this whole idea of exploiting!i dont want to read of one more hypacritical coment of keeping spots elite! EVER!
    why do you think every event up there in the past has been cancelled ?? do you honestly think the locals are going to sit back and let you guys have a smoothly run contest? every bit of unity between bodyboarders and stand ups will be thrown out the window, we only just over come the last stunt ("10 reasons why surfers can fuck off" which cost a bodyboarding magazine to go under!!!) this is gana send us straight back!ill bet there will be atleast three surfers droping in on every wave of the contest and there arent enough donavan bassets to stop it, infact there is very little you can do to stop it!! as a bodyboarder im the one thats going to suffer from your ignorance. thanks alot guys for ruining a beautifull area of uncrowded surf.
  • markjents
    July 2009
    i wrote this, but i didnt write this. you wont understand why unless you know.
    Len at Science wrote:
    in September the winds are really bad for Caves and Onrus ...[and]... the westcoast gets more swell and the wind is in its favour.

len at science, you have wonderful opinions. wonderful. whilst these opinions are awesome for instilling that certain sense of false hope that we all so dearly love to see shattered come contest day, i would like to shed an element of fact on this matter. i hope you dont mind.

well, len, et al., heres the thing:

last september ebay and the surrounds experienced 2 full days of offshore wind (9 days apart); on neither of these 2 days did the swell exceed 3ft. the rest of the month was either comprised of massive swells accompanied by gale force onshore winds, or 2ft waves beautifully shaped by cross shore winds - conditions which, i believe, are favorable to those learning to learn how to kite surf. i wont express any opinion as to weather such conditions would be favorable for a bodyboarding contest. i'll leave that up to you, and, of course, 'len at science'. (please see link at bottom of this post).

i will also take this chance to point out what some may consider a contradiction - if not in conception, at least of the will. you see, it has been said, by many of you men, least of all len, that the contest will be held wherever the waves are best. a noble gesture indeed. however, at the same time, we have all been informed that all the top bodyboarders of our country will be put up in some prime lamberts bay lodging - a move that i would consider, at any other time, of course, a rather sound attempt at focusing the contest as much as possible, and cutting half of boland's coastlines entirely out of the picture. surely if it were the co-ordinators (and sponsors) true intention to make both of the boland coastlines as accessible as possible all the riders would be put up in between the two coastlines, perhaps at a humble wine estate?

i must also agree with what my person wrote earlier - the locals in elands have wide influence across the western cape. they are also a genuine, down-to-earth, dont give a shit, will fuck you up before they drop in on you, kind of people that can make your bodyboarding life a nightmare. that is not opinion.

http://www.windguru.com/int/historie.ph ... &model=gfs nhl is lovely
  • that NINJA kid
    July 2009
    Eish, never have I been more glad I have never competed.
    Everyone's discussing possibilities of decent surf in sick locations, meanwhile in dorpie-land these small-town-mentality cats are going nuts!?!? Angry cos you want to surf 'THEIR' spots but then angry that you're not covering the entire area which they control?

Goodluck with that one local-guys, hope that you guys get to thump all the competitiors and send them away never to bother you again. Then in a few generations the in-breeding will cause your descendants to have fins instead of feet and then they can venture in to the wide world and dominate EVERYONE!
    :roll:

• July 2009
    Please get over yourself bro!!!
    It will be only a WEEK out of your busy life and as you say the waves are going to be crap during that time of the year...
    Then you must be more than content not surfing.
    Half the guys going to SA's live more than 1000kms away so i doubt they will be back soon!!
  • Spy Dude
    July 2009
    mark.. chill bru, its not like ebay is secret, and man it will do the town some good, bring in some money. That little shop is gonna do a roaring trade in nick nacks and mammas pie's.

End the day i think the okes are gonna be competeing more with agro euro vindsurfers than with 3 nitrogen starved dimond divers and a goofed up hippy from redlinghuis. There is a difference between expoiting an area and pulling in for a booger contest that is gonna struggle to even make it onto the radio let alone TV. Do you think the jbay okes complain withthe ammount of contests that are held there?... You know what.. Jbay loves it, cos it brings in the $$$$$$$ and puts food on peoples tables. Dude you telling me Ebay cant do with a little bit more of the currency? Think before you call me a hypocrit bru. I am all for secret spots and keeping them quiet and away from the masses. I have watched my own secret spots go down the toilet cos of over zelous photographers taking shots and writing articles with pretty much a blue print on how to get there in magazines. and now you go there on any given sunday and its 20 okes out + someones dad on his SUP. But ebay... come on bru.... Its not secret. When i started surfing there, no road, no running water, no houses, no shops, just farms and a little kreef harbour and a quarry. I treasure those memories like gold. But thats what they are, memories, now there is a tar road, guesthouses, back packers, heck even the car park got sold to some pillck who build a house over it and is a right racist doos to everyone that walks past HIS place. Times have changed. Let the brothers sell the boogs some kreef bru! Lekker!

BTW i have been to varcity champs at ebay, watched a few surfing and longboard comps there and dude, back in the early 90's there was even a goatboat contest there, with everyone camping in the quarry. Then there is always the Kreef festival. ok its in Lamberts, but the overflow into Ebay is intence.

Anyways, its not my call, i just thought it would be nice for a change. Cape Classic is always Caves or hoek, why not somewhere different.

beleive there was a shark attack at jongenfontein yesterday... okes alive and in hospital in mossels. Heavy.
  • Chinnychinchin
    July 2009
    Come-on guys! Every one loves bitching about the state of SA BBing and surfers dropping in and all that (yip I was one of them on this forum!) but when someone suggests a kiff contest idea we still hear the bitching. 2 Months ago a stand-up buddy went up to Elands he said there was 50 guys out and everyone was dropping in on eachother, he said it was crowded and crap. Every tourist from Lonndonn to Stokholm knows about "E-Bay".....locals??? ya whatever, and I'm a Big Bay local, I know the spot well, I've surfed there for 15years, I live 8min away, but local?? nah, sorry its all relative. I'm only call myself a local when I'm paddeling out all alone somewhere, with not a soul in sight......Only those roff ou's in Hawaii need to protect their spots cause the islands are small. But for us, we can easily find uncrowded waves if we go look.

A comp at "E-Bay" is an awesome idea, but to haul the whole road-show up there will be a bit of a mission, but it's a kiff idea. I think even the idea of cranking waves for a boogie contest to go HUGE in, should be getting us all amped.....remember the Cave Rock gladiator pit a while back!!! That was TIGHT!

And for the record, it does not matter where you surf, if a stand-up, goatie, SUP, kayaker, Kite-boarder is a boogie-hater or clue-less, he's gonna drop in anyways....No matter where you surf, contest or not, "local" or not. We all need to just get over this FACT.

• July 2009
    oh lol, sorry i just have to comment im killing myself laughing!!!

firsly there is only a handful that will ever mish that far up even for a camping weekend away! Those that are bodyboarders couldnt care less about elands cause the point is such a weak poo wave that its total non bodyboarding wave full stop. No matter what who cares standups can have the weak 4ft slop of a point break....if you are bothered about locallism you should be more concerned with why you are riding it in the first place?!

secondly i venture up that way quite a lot. apart from elands and yo-yo's thats all time ive never seen any crowds anywhere along that stretch of coast and more. Owes that go up and surf there are kooks and they just stick to elands cause they think they are cool kooks ;)

the other thing, when that stretch goes over 4ft everyone stays home cause its to big and scary so doesnt matter either, also there are a million other secret spots not mentioned there that wont be found anyways so no need to worry.

this weekend gone now was seeing some thumping swell and where was everyone?! Only a handful of surfers at elands and thats about it...outer / inner reefs were 6 - 12ft plus and no one was even thinking of paddling....famous about 6 - 10ft big and crazy conditions also, only a handful of us bodyboarders were all over it and not being a bunch of chickens.

i could suggest two things for your problamtic cure that you are after

1) dont ever worry about surfing elands, its just kak and lame and if you are a bodyboarder you would never have to even worry about it

2) stop worrying about 2ft offshores there and start riding and charging!

owes are after something different for SA Champs and its sick to see, owes will score fun waves and as was said you never have to worry about crowds up that side ever. its a one horse town and owes are scrapping!

viva le elands and bring on the empty waves local while everyone is up there!! wahooo for free surfing.

come clean as your username only shows you as joining recently......you smell like a pure surfer that got tipped off and is worried about precious ebay which is just mush anyways.

ok thats me signing out for another year.
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.