ISSUE 7

• BillybusterBillybuster
    November 2008
    ISSUE 7.. When is it goin to be released onto shelves??

Sixty40 Bodyboarding Magazine 5,325 views

59 Replies

• November 2008
  • puku
    November 2008
    where can I find sixty40 on the shelves? I've missed the last two cause I can never find the fuckers. My subscription ran out and I don't have a credit card I can renew it with
  • puku
    November 2008
    I'm talking Natal by the way, other than Durban

• November 2008

• November 2008
  • puku
    November 2008
    No CNA's have, no surf shops have. I guess you have to have money in the first place to do an online transfer. Becoming an exclusively subscribers mag?
  • jbs
    November 2008
    Following CNA branches always carry stock of Sixty40 magazine...

Gateway
    La Lucia Mall
    Umhlanga Rocks Centre

I'd assume Pavilion and Musgrave centre have also...
  • DavidC
    November 2008
    got mine at a small little CNA in Amanzimtoti, I am sure if you look around you will find it in one of their stores.
  • puku
    November 2008
    What about Ballito? Why not even go a little inland and go to Pietermaritzburg? I'm pretty sure you could find a Riptide in the middle of freaking Limpopo if you looked
  • DavidC
    November 2008
    Arent you delightful? Sorry for trying to help. Just because it isnt in the first CNA you walk into doesnt mean that no CNA`s have it.
    Was just trying to say that CNA stocks the friggin mag, use it dont use it.
  • puku
    November 2008
    Apology accepted, just don't try help again. Except when I try to kill myself, then I'll need all the help I can get cause I'm a depressed little emo kid.
    Haha we just need to relax here. Another downfall of communicating over the internet, Mxit etc. is that tone can't be conveyed which leads to alot of misinterpretations. Just saying next time don't think I'm disssing you by relying on my tone which you can't hear.I'm just pissed that I haven't got my fix of local bodyboarding literature and I can't get it from any CNA's in Ballito/Pietermaritzburg. It's a pity I don't live in Toti, or is it?
  • BillybusterBillybuster
    November 2008
    So with that said Issue 7 should be on shelves 1st week december?? Kru you got anything to add on this?? and who is our cover guy for this issue?? any guesses........??
    Mine is McCarthy!!! hahahaahaaaaaaaaaaaaa mac
  • krukru
    November 2008
    Hey Fellas,

Ok, so, the surf shop story, what I want each one of you to do is to walk into a surf shop that you frequent and ask them why they don't stock the mag. And then tell them to e mail [email protected] and we'll hook them up.
    Being based in CT its logical that more surf shops in CT will stock it but we would be more than amped to get it into more surf shops up country.
    Our CNA distribution is done through a corporate company so hey send it out, look at where the mag sells the most and then spreads it around that area. I will however get a list together and kelly and I will get it posted on the web.

sweet as and shot for the support guys
    New issue is priniting as we speak and its a cracker.

Njoy
  • ronald911ronald911
    November 2008
    I get my mag from CNA in the Shelly Beach mall.
  • KellyKelly
    November 2008
    Billybuster wrote:
    and who is our cover guy for this issue?? any guesses........??
    Mine is McCarthy!!! hahahaahaaaaaaaaaaaaa mac

Try again ...

• November 2008
  • bboard1
    November 2008
    Only place i've found them is Exclusive Books in the Pavilion in Natal or Gateway, They always have it in stock though. I was pretty pissed off cause i got a subscription that NEVER CAME. tried following up too but nix happened.
  • KellyKelly
    November 2008
    bboard1 wrote:
    I was pretty pissed off cause i got a subscription that NEVER CAME. tried following up too but nix happened.

PM/email me details please (use the buttons on the right):

Name
    Address
    Issues that were not received.

Cheers,
    Kelly

• November 2008
  • BillybusterBillybuster
    December 2008
    so has the mag come out yet?? Went to CNA yesterday and it hadn't come in... you guys know?? amped to see the summer madness of boogie!!
  • dcmike
    December 2008
    Yeah ouens, release and shelf date was Wednesday 1oth Dec so it should be out there. Maybe the xmas season has the shelf packers delayed but keep your eyes peeled cos it's out there and not hard to miss - As Sampi put it "vomit inducing colour!" Enjoy :D
  • tully07
    December 2008
    Yo DC,

I have just ben to cna canal walk-still no new mag.Should they stock it?
    Think its time to subscribe.....please send me the details.
  • craigtrilivascraigtrilivas
    December 2008
    Ummmm.....when can the subscribers expect their mag?
    I havnt got mine yet.
    Hope it hasnt gone missing :cry:
  • b-board
    December 2008
    I dont know about CNA in canal walk but i know that Exclusive books in canal walk stock it. But they dont have the latest 1 in yet :? should be there soon i hope :D
  • dcmike
    December 2008
    Ahoy lads, thanks for the patience! The mag should be on the shelves and I've asked Kru, who handles distribution, to please get back to us asap about subs and stores - Watch this space! In the meantime go get some waves!

• December 2008
  • krukru
    December 2008
    Hello our ever faithful readers,

We would like to apologise for the slight delay, I know its a cop out but our post office did tell us to expect delays.
    We will be posting a surf shop list up soon so you guys know exactly where to go in your area and if there are no stockists
    in your area then let us know.
    We puposefully delay the CNA distribution in order to give our ever faithful surf shops a head start.

Good times and hope you enjoy the new issue.
  • dcmike
    December 2008
    What you mean Mark?! I thought you were one of those tech-heads with a 13" lappie built into your board so you can cruise the 'interweb' while waiting for the big sets! haha!
    Work? That for okes that can't surf!
  • Len at ScienceLen at Science
    December 2008
    got my copy, worth waiting for. very nice
    December 2008
    I still havnt got mine in the mail yet :(
    Getting worried that it'll never arrive :!:
    Any way someone can check that u indeed have me down as a subscriber?
    Cos I paid in full at the Mcarthy clinic.

Shot.
  • BillybusterBillybuster
    December 2008
    Got ours in the mail on monday! I know CNA is abit of a delay as they told me alot of their mags are delayed but the mag is top dollar! Thanks guys..really enjoyed it and looking forward to the next one!!!! YAY...

• December 2008

• December 2008
  • scorpio
    January 2009
    Has everyone been stunned into silence or is it the New year
  • sampisampi
    January 2009
    Hi Mark
    Thanks, constructive criticism is always appreciated… as long as it is constructive (and if you have your facts straight.)

1. The DPS image is an ADVERT. We obviously don’t really have much control over how they choose to do their adverts… or I should say we do, but we are in no position to turn down advertising. It is also a bit presumptuous on your part to assume we are or we were not aware of this in the first place.

2. Image selections: I do handle most of the image selection and there is a fair amount of complexity involved (explained in the next para). Not sure what you mean with “you also do all the photography work”; I definitely don’t do all the photography work… the photographers obviously handle this?? (just pulling your leg Mark, I Know what you meant but you didn't write what you meant :evil: ).

As you know, we have 54+ pages to fill (which is very very little). We try balance a reasonable amount of content with images. The image selection is done based on various factors including the quality of the shot, where it is taken, who it is etc. You would be surprised to know how little we have to work with each issue. So far, for the next issue (design to start end Jan) I only have 12 or so quality images to work with. Obviously not good. Getting shots from the photographers is like drawing water from a stone – surprisingly! Ian spends countless hours sending emails out reminding photographers to send us their images (funny that he should follow up with them and not the other way around... this is especially true for the South African photographers... makes you wonder).

Explained:
    If we were to use only quality images from a photography point of view, we would be left with the following ratio (give or take): 60% shots from Oz, 20% shots of Spex, 30% various. The “various” category is essentially what we have to work with and we need to make sure we don’t get accused of some form of buddy nepotism – the industry is tiny and we all know each other - as well as trying to avoid only running shots from the Cape Town area (which 90% of the various category consists of).

The reason it is bad practice (for the most part) to get a photographer to be the image editor as opposed to an Art Director; an Art Director’s job description in part is to have scope, a sense of perspective and to be as unbiased as possible. You simply can’t be a good Art Director unless you have these attributes, or at the very least some of them.

We have mentioned this before, criticism is more than welcome and it is a large part of progressing the mag.

3. The Poster Idea: We have toyed with this and we will see if we can implement in the next issue. Thanks.

Happy new year all!
  • ColinvanDongen
    January 2009
    Sampi

Im super stoked with the mag as always.. We all appreciate the work that yourself and Ian are doing.. and we know you dont get much in return for it.. The fact that a lot of the industry doesnt realise is that sixty40 is keeping the sport alive and kicking in this country.. Companies need to come on board.. and start advertising - we also need to start SUBSCRIBING PEOPLE...
    Ian only told me recently that this is what advertisers look at when placing ads.. So why should big surf brands place ads when we have half the subscriptions..

1.SO go onto factory7.co.za and become a subscriber.

2. Photographers.. Start submitting...
    3. From Sixty40s side.. Rates should start being supplied to all photographers to create an incentive to send images.
    4. We should start hassleing our sponsors / corporates / surfbrands to Advertise..

in the same regards I understand what mark is trying to do.. To match our industry up with International mags.. and to make bodyboarding on par with them.. but again this is going to require more advertisers. I think sixty40 is very original and unique already.. and if we could look at ways to improve and get others on board to help that would be good all around..

Rockon Sampi

Colin :D
  • ColinvanDongen
    January 2009
    Stop%20Whining.jpeg
  • sampisampi
    January 2009
    Lol, yes, stop whining and put your money where your mouth is. Lots of barking on this forum... again.

• January 2009
  • Spy Dude
    January 2009
    Ok sampi... i have this question, you have the swell of the centuary (ok its only 9 yrs old, but still) Everything from Kbay to some arb river mouth in the kei went balistic for a few weeks, i know i submitted images, i am sure Pete did too, and plenty other okes aswell, so.. why Zero coverage, why no words other than a letter from Mark Clark and one pic of Don at kbay, that doesnt even have a barrel? Yes i am talking about that storm.

Also whats with the cover colour, did Luke Watson stop by the printers and see a springbok somewhere?

Mags too thin, sell more advertising, give us More dammit!!!! :twisted:
  • sampisampi
    January 2009
    Hey Spy

I didn't get shots from you or Peter. I saw one shot of Pieter's and asked him to send and he never did.
    Where did you send yours, who did you give them to?
  • Spy Dude
    January 2009
    Drove a disk to DC and handed it personally to him.
    grrrrrrrrrrrr :evil:
  • peterbee
    January 2009
    Sheesh, Mark - can't believe you felt compelled to remove your posting... yes, you said some hard stuff, but I have always admired somebody saying something straight - whether right or wrong!
  • krukru
    January 2009
    ok, forum time.

So, here we go:

Mark:

Ok, the FTP story, it is easier for the magazine to recieve low res thumbs of all the pics and rather than downloading the high res from an FTP server, even though in SA you get a 15gig local line it still doesn't help, because if we have 10 photogs and pull at least a couple of gigs worth of high res pics off an FTP server it still means there will be a massive expense in terms of extra bandwidth. So, for ALL photogs, please, either send a CD with your pics in high res to myself or Sampi (If you are sending a cd to sampi or myself make sure you e mail us the TRACKING NUMBER so we can make sure it doesn't go missing). Another option is to e mail through low res thumbs then we will make a selection and ask you to send the high res via yousendit.com.

The photo selection. Guys, this is relatively simple, we are backed into a corner from either side, we either are to 'content heavy' to a specific area or we make a selection of varied shots that are not of the absolute highest grade in order to spread it evenly and we then have issues with not making the best selection so it becomes a lose lose situation. The sad thing is is that this is at least the 3rd time I am commenting on the photo selection on this very forum. So far the score is: 2 to the magazine being to 'content heavy' to a specific area and 1 to photo selection....mmm, I wonder which is going to win?

Mark, my guy, international side? You are in Germany, a land locked country (Other than the standing wave in one of the rivers) with no bodyboarders. I thank you for trying to bring in constructive criticism but I'm not going to show the magazine to people on the streets of Afghanistan and ask them what they think :D And I understand you have got alot of good images on your PC (I know because I have seen them) Unfortunately you have been working on getting a new port for your housing and getting all your equipment in top notch so your most recent (and best) work has been submitted only in time for issue 8. Your other work of around the country is unfortunately a bit dated and I am sure it is the case with most photogs where there is excellent work but we have a limited amount of space and we need to try spread it evenly....

The ad photos, we are working on this and have started to come to an agreement with our advertisers. But please guys, these are the people that support the magazine and keep it coming so there is no point in ripping them off. Maybe a more constructive approach would be to not post stuff on a forum and contact them or us directly and say that you have shots of their team riders to submit for free for them to use.

Photog rates: I am going to say this for the last time, if you want the rates, my e mail address is [email protected], no magazine that I know put their companies salaries online for people to see, so why should it be any different here. At the end of the day the fact that I almost never hear from SA photogs is pretty funny, if you are looking to raise your magazine/experience you should be in constant contact with the magazine anyway....

Happy New year people.
    Let it be a year of building and not deconstructing...you forum fiends :twisted:
  • Spy Dude
    January 2009
    the BombSurf mag, sickest mag in SA at the mo.
    Not only photos, but content, articles and layout and design.
    100% free and only via subscription
    revolutionary idea!!!!
  • ColinvanDongen
    January 2009
    I loved the afgan comment ian..
  • JAMES bye
    January 2009
    i still havnt got my copy in the mail.....
  • walvis
    January 2009
    Me neither, what's going on? :cry:
  • Marthinus
    January 2009
    Me three.. :?
  • JmoJmo
    January 2009
    I couldn't wait any longer so I ended up just buying one anyway...
  • iammonster
    January 2009
    Well i got my mag and it really is sick!!
    Big ups to Ian, Sampi the rest of the sixty40 crew the advertisers and the riders and photogs who pulled there fingers out and got shooting and submitting and making sure there shots got to the sixty40 hq safe and sound..
    yes it could be thicker people but that all comes with time...have faith!! With you guys continuing to support the mag it will reach the thicker international standards sooner than you know!

Well done again to the whole sixty40 crew!!!
    Cant wait for the next issue!
    January 2009
    Ja i still havent got my mag yet either hey :(

Bleekness consumes me.

Is there any way we can see which postal addresses we listed for them just so we can maybe ascertain whether or not they could have been stolen by neighbours etc...

Cos if I listed my work address I would get it for sure im sure of that.
    Was kinda hoping it would be waiting for me on my desk this morning but woe is me!

Shot guys.
  • ChilternburtChilternburt
    January 2009
    Craig bro u have no idea of Bleek... its been -12 here and all thats been keeping me going is the hope of issue 7 and dontstopdreaming on blu-ray...oh and my incredibly sexy PS3..
  • lyle
    January 2009
    from what i understand is many ous didnt get their copies- me included. but i did receive an email stating something went wrong and if i replied theyll send another copy. so im assuming most others got this mail to? so respect to the ous from 60/40 for putting their hands up, saying there was a problem and sending new mags out. im happy with it, ill be understanding.... but.... well im not gonna say ''if this happens again...'' cause i trust it wont. you still got my support 100%!!! 8)
  • KellyKelly
    January 2009
    lyle wrote:
    from what i understand is many ous didnt get their copies- me included. but i did receive an email stating something went wrong and if i replied theyll send another copy. so im assuming most others got this mail to? so respect to the ous from 60/40 for putting their hands up, saying there was a problem and sending new mags out. im happy with it, ill be understanding.... but.... well im not gonna say ''if this happens again...'' cause i trust it wont. you still got my support 100%!!! 8)

Thanks Lyle - ja, something went seriously wrong this issue - some guys are only getting their original copies through over the last 2/3 days so it looks like a hectic delay and not lost. Still not right. So if you're a subscriber and haven't got your mag or heard from us then give us a shout at [email protected] and let us know and we'll sort you out.

Sorry for the hassles guys.
  • JmoJmo
    January 2009
    I recieved my copy yesterday. Stoked.
  • ChilternburtChilternburt
    January 2009
    Just got my issue now... w00t w00t...
  • lyle
    January 2009
    apparently my cruel summer has now arrived! sixty40 bra's are legends! cheers guys 8)
    January 2009
    Still aint got mine :cry:
    This kinda kuk happens to me all the time i swear :evil:
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.