RIPTIDE vs Sixty40

• June 2008
    Hey all,

just been reading through some of the last two issues of riptide (yes new one has just come out with the invert on cover).

Its quite crazy cause about 50% of the mag is just full of A4 adverts, thats not including the smaller adds either. Noticed that most of there mag content goes up as there wallpapers before it even hits the shelves, so last issue picked up seen almost all the shots already.

So what was left of it when it came to the shelves, full of adverts, pics ive seen on the download section. Hmmm not to sure if its just me but yes Riptide has got itself a sick name but somewhat just appears boring and doesnt appeal to be a sick mag anymore. Actually enjoying the sixty40 mag a million times more at the moment cause its just fresh unseen content and made really well... yes there are a few minor hickups here and there, but hey they are only 1 year old!!! So build up photo libraries, content etc will take time... but apart form that really stoked with it

would imagine one of the hardest parts about the sixty40 mag is getting sick content for it to make it happen...unfortunately we dont have many photogs shooting around SA at the moment but should hopefully pick up as time goes on...

cool back to work.

Sixty40 Bodyboarding Magazine 1,284 views

11 Replies

• ChilternburtChilternburt
    July 2008
    funny u posted this, cause i was in Auz over Christmas and New Year to hook up with an old North Beach boy, Kevin Lithgow...
    anyway i was cruising through Brisbane International and i saw the latest copy of Riptide and though i would buy it and have some reading for my upcoming flights... anyway my lift was about 30 mins late and in that time i had read it cover to cover and seen pretty much all the shots, most of which i had seen on there site a week or 2 before...
    I remember when I was younger it used to take a week or more to read and check out each pic in the latest Riptide, Westville Boys High has a subscription, and so did Island Style when i worked there...
    Currently just finshed with Issue 5 of Sixty40 and once again I reckon job well done, personally i think the mag is almost on a par, and already has eclipst threesixty here in the UK...
  • ronald911ronald911
    July 2008
    Well I reckon, riptide have alot of stuff to read, and have alot more ads then sixty40. But for sure, sixty40 have much better picture quality and it feels like youre on the beach, and experiencing what you are reading articles in the SIXTY40 MAG.
  • lyle
    July 2008
    and our website is way better than theirs!! so big ups to our admins (kelly and co)!! :D

(well thats my opinion..)
  • JmoJmo
    July 2008
    Actually, I was just thinking the other day that the forums have been very slow to praise the mag guys for Issue 5. From my chats with some of the okes behind the scenes I can tell that they are facing a LOT of difficulties in keep the mag going, and yet the latest issue is still as good, if not better than, the first 4. Imagine what they could achieve with a bit more money behind them from advertisers and subscriptions.

Great work guys!
  • lyle
    July 2008
    oh man id love to see the new mag... my subscription is lying at home!! gets sent to my sa addy. my bro wets my tast buds telling me bits in it and that my copy is lying on my bed!! got abit of reading to catch up on when i get home in few months!!
  • craigtrilivascraigtrilivas
    July 2008
    And if u take into account the quality we get for a mere 20 bucks and compare that to a whopping 100 or so.....I reckon we hav it lush boys :mrgreen:

Big up to everybody that contributes to us being able to have such a sweet deal and an epic mag to read.
    I read mine like 4 times each 8) and then some :lol:
    Havnt got the new one but i will get it today if i can get out the office!!!!!!!!!

Safe.
  • dcmike
    July 2008
    Like they say: "Flattery gets you everywhere"!
    What do you guys want? haha!
    Love the positive feedback and the stoke guys - really much appreciated from the whole team.
    Just remember, there's space to provide constructive criticism too so if you guys have any gripes or suggestions, let's hear them and we'll give Rippies a run one day too!

Peace
    Mike

• July 2008
    Yes stoked to see the new mag, looks super sick and the best one so far, good content, well writen and just nicely pieced together!!

even with the slight increase in costs its peanuts and would rather pay that little bit more to have a sick mag then being cheap and getting something terrible and regretting it... the nice thing i like is how its just progressing and gettting better and better every issue!!

nice one guys and read through it and randomly flip through it almost everyday.... good reading material whether in the lounge, bedroom or even in the toilet ;) hahaha.... good times now lets keep pushing those subscriptions and get the mag boosted to even more pages, sicker content also!!

one of the things im really starting to enjoy is seeing more photographers shooting and contributing to the mag, makes a nice change to see new guys pushing and learning the ropes :)

chat soon everyone... few hours left of work then a paddling i shall go!!

• July 2008
    well think we are close to giving riptide a run!! only thing is they have sick surf there, but hey we are making the best of what we have and pushing so can only just get better.... think its cool a lot of that animated cartoon stuff got dropped out as lost me on the first line to be honest and just didnt seem to fit the mag...was nice to try it though...sorry whoever did that, but just my crit!....hate me, love me its your choice ;)

but good to see good quality pics coming through which makes the mag sick! some previous stuff the images have been okish but not the best in editing / saturation etc... but as said looking good and tight on this last issue!

keep it sixty40 crew, riders, photogs and not to forget those cool advertisers!! make use of their products and give them support as they are the ones helping to provide us some reading material to keep the stoke going :)

mike you coming down this afternoon? email me...
  • lyle
    July 2008
    well i just bought myself a threesixty here in the uk... well sixty40 is STREAKS AHEAD man!!! booya to the Sixty40 boys doing such a RAD job!!! 5 issues and im not joking- if you put the 2 mags together and made people pick one- i know they'd choose sixty40 everytime!!! whoop whoop!! :D
  • ChilternburtChilternburt
    July 2008
    Lyle bro u should get your subscription sent here rather...i hassled kelly into hooking it up for me, overseas subscription cost like £13 a year for the 4 mags... thats like the price of a jack and coke and possibly a jega...
    Issue 5 stands proudly on top of my current magazines which i buy regularly... including Max Power, DSLR User and PGI...
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.