Issue 5 :: Cover - Who?

• sampisampi
    May 2008
    Making the cover of the magazine is a coveted achievement and selecting the shot and rider is an arduous task. Much needs to be considered each time.

The rider and shot has been selected for issue 5 and only a select few people know who it is...

See if any of you can guess who will be on the cover of Issue 5, bonus 'points' if you can guess where (roughly) the shot was taken?

:?:

Sixty40 Bodyboarding Magazine 4,959 views

66 Replies

• ElementreeElementree
    May 2008
    Peter Lambert - West Coast Undisclosed?
  • craigtrilivascraigtrilivas
    May 2008
    OK well its sooper hard to do that if we dont know where theyr from.
    Cos the last issue had Lackey on it.

So can we get a hint as to their nationality maybe?

Shot.
    May 2008
    Here's a stab....Tully Allen at Dias beach?
  • sampisampi
    May 2008
    The rider is from South Africa... :idea:

• May 2008
    What can we get for the points?

Would you tell us if we get it right :?:

Is it a East London booger busting big?

or should we start like 20 questions?

is it a fruit, veg or mineral?
  • sampisampi
    May 2008
    No Q's please... Marc you sneak!

• May 2008
    Dam, questions make it easier to find answers.. hmmm was i right about the region? confused.. only know most of the images come from Durban, East London and Cape Town... so guessed that..haha, probably so off.

is it of a skim boarder nose diving on the sand?

cant wait reckon its going to be an epic mag!! comes out soon right?
  • chris d
    May 2008
    oros at donkey kong
    do i win?
  • sampisampi
    May 2008
    Come now guys... be patient.

• May 2008
    to much hype and excitement for the next mag!! its like xmas 4 times a year.... AMPED!!

cant wait till following one also as all this winter swell coming so must be some epic stuff getting sent through!

Chris _ D ill give you 5 points cause i think you are cool and like your guess...
  • ElementreeElementree
    May 2008
    Dowe...i have already won with my guess!

Ok...maybe i haven't...

Second guess...Peter Lambert...Dungeons!

• May 2008
    wow you are obsessed with Peter Lambert arent we? hahahaa...

ok its peter lambert at big bay on the smallest day of the year?!
  • ElementreeElementree
    May 2008
    Ha ha...ya i suppose it appears that way.

Ok...third guess and i think i am getting closer...

Mark Clark surfing...the net!

Ha...i knew i'd win!
  • Subterrainean
    May 2008
    Southern Cape.....? :twisted:

• May 2008
    ok yes you guessed write, i have to much time surfing the net right now.. least i can do it back hand using all 7 fingers!! no try that out..
  • JmoJmo
    May 2008
    Rory Lancellas - West Coast

...or is he too dirty for the cover?
    May 2008
    Hmmmmm....

Im gonna scrap my original guess and go for sumthin very very sneaky my friends :twisted:

Im going out on a limb and saying its Sampi at a heaving wedge?!!!!!!!!! :lol:

U kno just cos he's asking and if it was right under our noses the whole time we would all smack ourselves for not even trying that one :mrgreen:

I hope i get it heeeeeheeeeeee :D

• May 2008
    could possibly just maybe might be possibly sampi ;) sneaky indeed.. im going with what everyone else says....

whats happened to all the cape town riders? wated are empty and never seeing anyone busting out anymore or pushing the limits

• May 2008
    New pier - durbanite from 14th May that big day? mad ass water shot of someone going over the falls?

haha... ok to much time to surf the net today :arrow:
    May 2008
    If its Tully at Dias i gonna cry myself to sleep for a year i swear tho :lol:
    Dood I wish i could be in the water everyday but i stay out Tableview way and werk in town so its off to werkies at 06:20 for me and I only get to leev at 5pm!!!

So winter has got me gettin no after werk stoke cos its dark so early now weeoo weeoo.....tear :cry:
    Gonna have to try and sneak a dawnie in now & then and try dos in town at my girls place.

Hard to bust when ur only gettin waves on the weekend and thats if its ridable :|
    But rest assured that when the swell is on and the conditions r good the okes r gonna be all over that like white on rice after being starved like that :mrgreen:

Carpe diem manne!!!!

Im sure i'll see u lots on the weekend innit.
  • Spy Dude
    May 2008
    where do i see this cover? Is it out yet? i am like lank confused!
  • Spy Dude
    May 2008
    I just want to say the Apple Mac's sux. They are machines designed for feminazi's. PC's RULE!
    MY PC can do anything your mac can do, just a whole lot cheaper and just as fast.
  • Spy Dude
    May 2008
    Josh Chigombibibibibe at muizenburg
  • Spy Dude
    May 2008
    If this is a pissing in the wind contest... I WIN!!!!

whats that, i cant hear you... oh yes, sorry i am deaf.
  • dcmike
    May 2008
    Haha! No it's not Tully but I wanna see a grown man cry himself to sleep! :mrgreen:

• May 2008
    is that dias? flip wish i could know when its working like this... looks like fun!!
  • SilverMystic
    May 2008
    leka leka crybabies... beta 2b local!
  • krukru
    May 2008
    wow, are their no durbanites that frequent the site?
    I thought someone would be pushing fo the homeground love?
    alas, I say its DC Mike busting reverse hand style at muizenberg.
    Or is it Andre Botha in a massive pit in Chile... :twisted:

• May 2008
    thats just plain old nasty and thrown me off.. hmmm but Mike at muzenburg could be a winner
  • JAMES bye
    May 2008
    i say its michael ostler buting out at some secret spot somewhere along the kzn coast
  • sampisampi
    May 2008
    Yeah... where are all the Dirtbinites?
  • Ian
    May 2008
    nah, i think its sacha specker in hawaii, or some SA rider in hawaii
  • dcmike
    May 2008
    What? It's me?! but I can't do hand drag spins - I only know how to smash my head into sand banks!
  • sampisampi
    May 2008
    You are all wrong!
    Keep them coming guys...

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2315/2497694434_8f4b718136.jpg?v=0[/img]

Photo Courtesy Louis Wulff
  • dsc
    May 2008
    Hahahahaha! Viva la boogie!
  • scorpio
    May 2008
    I reckon its Adam Morley at some sick beach break on the big island
  • SmTSmT
    May 2008
    From a Durbanites point of view, I reckon it's Spex, too many good shots from Hawaii this season
    sasha_800.jpg
    But if I choose a Durban fella (which should be about time) then I go for Oros or maybe Ratt or some unknown just to spice it up, either at good North Beach or secret spot???
    Haha, I reckon it's actually an empty barrell!!!!
    p.s This shot was featured in the latest Riptide, double page spread!
  • JAMES bye
    May 2008
    maybe Al Taylor.... dont know where though
  • rylin
    May 2008
    Eish, long time since I have written in the Forum !!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOO !!! Hoping it's a DBN boy(hoping Sean T being a MANIAC MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANIAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Suppose I don't really care who it is but as long as it's an INSANE wave from SA shores, then i'll be happy happy.
    May 2008
    Eish that IS a sick spread man :!:
    Im turning a wierd shade of green here for sum odd reason.

Ok last guess.
    I say its maybe sum1 we havnt heard from in ages.....say one of the Cockwells sittin in one hellova heaving slab in an obscure country we never knew had waves?

Ur killin me here Sampi doooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cant wait to find out.

PS: crying is like the new abs as far as the chicks r concerened guys, its so hot right now :lol:
  • ElementreeElementree
    May 2008
    sampi wrote:
    You are all wrong!
    Keep them coming guys...

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2315/2497694434_8f4b718136.jpg?v=0[/img]

Photo Courtesy Louis Wulff

Oh my soul Sampi...that is so classic!

But how could you guys use me for the cover without asking first?
  • krukru
    May 2008
    Ok Mr. Tickner,

I love the idea of ORo at a cave rock or Ratt at a secret south coast spot....
    now where the damn pics...hahaha :twisted:
    May 2008
    Ja I think its rad that Unknowns get a spot in the mag.

I mean obviously its the pros who get the most exposure to get everyone else amped and to showcase the talent & the sport but if they (the amateur) knew that there was a chance of seeing themselves, even at 4cm x 4cm somwhere, thats whats gonna get & keep them motivated to bust out and go big u know?
    Maybe u could even run a lil contest for the okes to submit their pic or something and dedicate even a 1/4 page to them?
    An unknown on the cover every now and then would be a sure-fire way to keep subscriptions growing and the stoke flowing :mrgreen:
    Either way i would still keep buying the zine :wink:

I love sixty40 :!:
    May 2008
    I mean when I was like 15 or so and still in Durbz, Marcel Schmidt (DIBS clothing) made the centre spread of the zig zag and that to me was unbelievable cos he wasnt sponsored or anything.
    It was always pics of say Thiel at Waimea or a Cockwell bro bustin or Nelson air spinning etc....

Maybe sum of the older crowd remeber it?
    Pulling into a sweet A-frame Far Bowl barrel on a Power bodyboard, (Rossi's 1st ever boards), full suit pulling the peace sign :?:

Old skool but at the same time awesome stuff.
  • KellyKelly
    May 2008
    craigtrilivas wrote:
    I mean when I was like 15 or so and still in Durbz, Marcel Schmidt (DIBS clothing) made the centre spread of the zig zag and that to me was unbelievable cos he wasnt sponsored or anything.
    It was always pics of say Thiel at Waimea or a Cockwell bro bustin or Nelson air spinning etc....

Maybe sum of the older crowd remeber it?
    Pulling into a sweet A-frame Far Bowl barrel on a Power bodyboard, (Rossi's 1st ever boards), full suit pulling the peace sign :?:

Old skool but at the same time awesome stuff.

Out of all the issues that I read of Zigzag Bodyboarding, that is the only spread I remember clearly. Pure class ... unfortunately tagged as "unknown".
    May 2008
    Ja me too hey.
    He was my next door neighbour.
    Just remember him being so sooper incredibly stoked :mrgreen:
    Think it was Pablo Ponzone who took the pic?
    Cant remember.
    Wat happened to Pablo?
    Thought he was on his way to becoming a great photographer for our sport.
    Then he dissapeared :|

Oh well, times change people change.
    Marcel stands up now but still remains an awesome dood.

Miss alot of the old beachfront crew man :(
    Some of the best days of my life.

Def paying Durban a visit soon :!:
  • JmoJmo
    May 2008
    I also remember that spread... amongst the cobwebs.
    The first (and only) time I got a photo in Zag bodyboarding it was also labelled 'Unknown'... I was so stoked and so bleak at the same time... what a lag.
  • KellyKelly
    May 2008
    OK ... no correct guess yet so I'll give a hint and offer a prize to try get you a bit amped.

Your hint - the rider is South African and quite surprisingly has not been mentioned yet.

The prize - a copy of the new ROAM DVD to the first person who guesses correctly. Only one guess per person and will send out to any South African address.

The winner will be announced as soon as the cover is released.

If you're in or around Durban tomorrow ... don't forget the ROAM premiere at the IMAX. Get details here: http://www.sixty40.co.za/contest.php?id=282

m_282.jpg
  • ElementreeElementree
    May 2008
    Ah flippin schweet!

Ok Rylin Richardson - somewhere in West Oz?
  • DavidC
    May 2008
    Derrick Footit somewhere down the South Coast
  • Marthinus
    May 2008
    Wez Fischer's got it!
  • Jared HoustonJared Houston
    May 2008
    Josh Kleve.

Pipe.
  • ElementreeElementree
    May 2008
    Good guesses guys, but i already know that i am the winner!

I wish...keep em coming :lol:
  • JAMES bye
    June 2008
    sascha speker?????????? maybe
  • PieterPieter
    June 2008
    Vaughn Harris. Llands :D
  • shoreylover
    June 2008
    matt lackey, mainland mexico.
  • Heinrich van Rooyen
    June 2008
    david lillienfeld! hoek during cape classic!
  • JmoJmo
    June 2008
    Aaargh I have too many guesses to put down...

Dan Worsley - Hoek or West coast
  • piesangs
    June 2008
    i think its Wesley Fischer at backdoor.
  • steakstar
    June 2008
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you remember earlier on what kelly wrote... i take it he is a truthful guy so i am going to trust him!!! basically everyone that had been metioned is not on the cover before his post!!! heavy... unlucky guys, but lets be honest... WEZ FISCHER, me, and all the other guys who are not 'famous' !!!!! maybe even Rob Gray from Kokstad. i'm gonna stick with Rob... also gonna mention my main man Mark Watts... definately gonna get some points from somewhere!!! dont need the vid though, in it for the love of the game!!! but it could be one the guys mentioned after that :wink: ... the games are most certainly on!!! love you all... GOT HIM!!!!
  • KellyKelly
    June 2008
    Steakstar! Hope you guys are scoring some waves in Aus bru!!! I've dropped Wes a mail but buy the guy a lemonade for us and I'll be stoked!

Ja ... winner or no winner to be announced this week.
  • steakstar
    June 2008
    Kelly you love playing mind games... But im to clever for you I can read between the lines...
    Winner or no winner? Lets just think who just recently won a huge contest sucured him a place in one of the biggest contest on the tour... Was that a hint right there... Im feeling that prize coming my way :mrgreen:
  • Len at ScienceLen at Science
    June 2008
    i am so lucky, being involved with a company that advertise, i get my copy a week before anybody else. been reading it the whole weekend, but i will not tell you who is on the cover page. all that i will say is its by far the best mag so far. go and get in the row. its worth waiting for.
    June 2008
    OK so wat do we get if we win?
    Na its ok, i r not greedy :mrgreen:

Im going now ( for my final guess ) for Aadam Grant at a some reef spot in the reserve that on the day of shooting was throwing sum mad mutant wide barrels.
    Im thinking solid 6-8 ft, long ride with possibly 2 tubetimes and a fat bust off the end section.
    I think i got it right there moohahahaha!!!!
    Take that!!!
    Totally smashed it 8)
  • KellyKelly
    July 2008
    Kelly wrote:
    OK ... no correct guess yet so I'll give a hint and offer a prize to try get you a bit amped.

Your hint - the rider is South African and quite surprisingly has not been mentioned yet.

The prize - a copy of the new ROAM DVD to the first person who guesses correctly. Only one guess per person and will send out to any South African address.

Marthinus wrote:
    Wez Fischer's got it!

OK, so we had a little informal give away and it was Marthinus who was the first man to guess correctly. The man of the moment, Wes Fischer scored himself an epic backdoor cover shot from the Hawaii 07/08 season which is featured in our Birthday issue.

Marthinus - well done bru, your prize is in the mail.

Check out the latest issue at http://www.sixty40.co.za/currentissue and grab a copy when it comes out on the 4th July. Hope you guys enjoy!

issue05cover.jpg
  • MichelleDaniels
    July 2008
    Kelly wrote:
    Kelly wrote:

Marthinus wrote:
    Wez Fischer's got it!

OK, so we had a little informal give away and it was Marthinus who was the first man to guess correctly. The man of the moment, Wes Fischer scored himself an epic backdoor cover shot from the Hawaii 07/08 season which is featured in our Birthday issue.

Marthinus - well done bru, your prize is in the mail.

Check out the latest issue at http://www.sixty40.co.za/currentissue and grab a copy when it comes out on the 4th July. Hope you guys enjoy!

issue05cover.jpg

I KNEW IT!! :) WEZ was the first name that came into my mind--back, a couple week's ago, just after Sampi proposed this on May 16. I didn't venture to put my thought's in writing and was glad I didn't after reading Kel's post of "will send out to any South African address"--wouldn't want to blow it for someone in SA qualifying for the prize.
    Congrat's Martinus!!
    The inuendoe's(?) or hints--"STEAKSTAR"--were too funny ;)

**ALL THE BEST TO WEZ, MARKMC AND THE REST OF THE "Nomads" on the Shark Island Challenge!!
    Hope it goes off in a few hours--amped to see it on the WEBCAM:
    http://www.ibatour.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=98
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.