sixty40 one year old

• lyle
    April 2008
    with sixty40 mag being one year old, im sure the guys running it know where abouts they stand. i mean if its making money or not. if its worth the effort. im just pondering if the guys running it would share if the mag is doing well or if its still a struggle? and if its doing ok, we all talk about and its a frequent topic of increasing the mag, say to and extra mag this year?growing it slowly. but then again only having 4 mags a year makes us fight over the few that come out :lol: keep up the good work...

Sixty40 Bodyboarding Magazine 1,654 views

12 Replies

• May 2008
    interesting point there lyle.. im sure they will be able to full us all in...

but i would imagine they are growing slowly but surely!! marketing it can be much harder then buying it and its going to be time and patience cause a lot of companies will hold back until its a well established brand that it worth investing in...but yeah the more the companies invest the more frequent the mag and better the mag. so support the companies that do and say thanks, never hurts to let them know what they doing is sick or how you heard or saw them...you'll be surprised how it goes ;)

what about a one year celebration event, bodyboarding promo / night out? with autographs, freebies etc? might be a good idea but not to sure what they have lined up there sleeves?!

not to sure if there is any turn over or profit to be made, probably just scraping by in the mag but atleast its getting better and growing with time... yes its a lengthy process with only 4 mags out a year and a lot of suspense in it also! guess if we had more people taking photos and more submissions would get better content which will also help it to grow... so get shooting out there and any bit of swell capture it!

sixty40 guys? sure you have comments for the biggest fan base ;)

if not keep up the styling work as know they are slaving away to get it done and good...think its taking away a lot of their water time also

chow for now

ps getting shooting on tuesday!
  • lyle
    May 2008
    yeah man, a party sounds cool. i know they working towards growing the mag slowly and we had a discussion about the best way to grow. crawl, walk, run... etc. i suggested one extra mag this year as a way of growing it slowly. 4 mags in firt year, 5 in second, 6 in third, etc. instead of in three years time trying to get 6 mags out and finding teething problems and having unexpected costs or running at a loss because of unexpected problems. just a suggestion... use it or not. im just lank supportive of the mag, factory7 and everyone involed in growing sa bodyboarding!! :D
    sweetness...
  • KellyKelly
    May 2008
    Thanks for the interest and support here Lyle.

I think I can sum this up by reflecting on a recent discussion with a friend who works for a media company in London. She works on the strategic planning and buying for some big advertising campaigns and after flicking through the first few pages of the magazine I got my first question fired back at me - where are the advertisers and how does it make money?

The fact that we do have a magazine is thanks to Ian Kruger, the man behind the mag, his investment and long term faith in the business (and sport), most importantly the companies who are advertising and the quality of the magazine which the team is delivering that has lead to its growing distribution through CNA & PNA around the country, including inland stores.

At the moment we may be just having to still push on upwards for a little while but it is a solid team at the mag and the interest from advertisers is growing.

This is the real world and people don't just throw money at you for nothing, especially in a small industry like ours. Some businesses may rightly want you to prove yourself first, they may not have worked you into their advertising budget or they may simply need to be sold on the need to advertise. If we want to run a profitable magazine then we need to be able to answer all those questions and back it up with a magazine where companies feel that if they want to sell to bodyboarders then they need to advertise.

Derek and myself started up Factory 7 and as guys who run a company which caters to the sport, it has been vital in my mind that our sport has a magazine in South Africa. I've seen what happens when a mag disappears and without a magazine I battle to see a future for bodyboarding in SA and the companies which rely on the sport. From our side we see our growth linked with the growth of the mag and hence the sport so it has been important to support the magazine through advertising.

To help explain this point, I just dug out an email that I was copied in on recently because quite literally - I cannot say it any better. This is only an extract from the email from a key figure in the industry, the extract is a basic recipe on their view of how the sport can move forward but it highlights the importance that some of the industry places on the magazine.
    Quote:
    There MUST be structure:

Firstly - we NEED a mag.
    Sixty/40 is doing a great job and its important that the mag looks better and grows stronger. The website too. These are key elements and "voice" of Bodyboarding to opening the sport to the outside world with a slick image.
    From there, a DVD once a year where sponsors pay to put their ads in and promote SA B/B;
    Then local provincial events culminating in a big SA Champs contest;
    Finally -something like the Cave Rock. Its becomes the cherry on the top once everything else is working.

Anyway, it's happening - as Mark Clark says above, "slowly but surely" we are getting there and from our side I hope that we are putting all the right building blocks in place. The sport went through a few bad years and it is a case of having to deal with that at the same time, to help bring the sport back to a respectable level in order for this to work for us.

You guys as readers should not have to worry about the financial state of the magazine, I just hope that you guys are enjoying the mag and the website so we can keep that happy readers box ticked while we work on ticking off the rest.
  • craigtrilivascraigtrilivas
    May 2008
    Well said Kelly.

But I must say that I as a reader, and full on booger to the max fo shizzle pizzle macdrizzle fizzle,that I am concerened about how well the mag is doing.
    Not cos I wanna know how much money peeps r making or hav any other motives like that, but just cos I know wat it was like when the sport did go thru those bad years and we didnt hav our own mag and had to fork out close to R100 just to get sum stoke u know? :shock:

I was lost without a mag and I saw the gradual decline of the sport infront of me, and eventually my stoke faded too(with the help of one giant pheobia of a fish made of pure muscle & teeth too tho :| )

For a couple yrs i was in and out of the water but never as amped as I was b4 :(

When I came across this site and heard about the mag I was hooked instantly and came back into swing full on!
    It just makes me soooo frikkin happy to see how the bodyboarding community has grown and at the same time stuck together as a whole to get us to where we are today.
    I mean we're affiliated with all kinds of stuff nowadays and are recognised as a country that produces sum of the world's best riders(since the beginning I know, but all more evident now bcos of the hard work Kelly,Ian and all the travellers & rippers out there are laying down).

So I just want to say a MASSIVE thank u to every single booger out there and to all the okes who r making an effort to get our sport out there and known cos Im so sure that this thing can eventually be even bigger than standup ever has been :mrgreen:

We just need to get it out there :wink: and we're doin a great job of it so far.

Shot for keeping me stoked guys.
  • dcmike
    May 2008
    Eisch - not sure if I speak for all involved but it's bit like buying a brand new board and with the first sight of swell it's raining buckets, the water is 12 degrees and the wind is onshore... You still paddle out right!?

From a purely logistical perspective it's a bit of a mission trying to explain why we have so few subscribers... That's the first thing any advertiser wants to know - how many printed; areas distributed and subscribers. The average reader has no clue of the issues to produce a mag. I was like that for years and that's the way it should be - Ride cos you love it!

But, we bodyboarders are a tough bunch - we don't ever want to sell out, never conform, never fit in. We seem to like the 'rebel' associated with being a sponger which makes trying to entice a corporate sponsor hard - (think of the car brands, energy drinks, banks etc that ride the coat tails of other sports to garner media exposure... think money, to pay for pictures of okes getting pitted!)

The good news is that bodyboarding seems to be moving out of the vaalie boogy scene but none of us wants to be a Billabong T shirt store and carry a bodyboard cos the media says it's cool, we want to ride cos we love it.

That leaves us with a few options:
    1. More sales = more advertiser stoke
    2. More sales = more money for more content
    3. More sales = more exposure for SA rippers
    4. More information that the mag can include on SA bodyboarding (your ideas, photos and stories on how rad this sport is and how much it affects our lives positively)
    5. Advertisers need to see the rewards of their support. There are several potential advertisers that aren't diving in because the don't know if their financial investment will give them any return - will you choose a bodyboard friendly product over a 'shopping mall cool' brand? Will you buy from a store that has the wetsuit you want at R100 less than the guy who who supports the mag and website? Will you ride the board everyone else has because that's all you see at the beach or will you choose the board that brings you full pages of okes busting out?
    6. Pay more for the mag and not rely so heavily on the advertisers..? How much would you pay for the mag?
    7. Make it thinner but more frequent?
    8. Oh, and more sales... haha!

And Lyle - You have no idea how much we would like to have it out 6 times a year or have a bumper photo issue once a year. I cry when I see some of the shots and know that it will take 2 months before the readers can have a drool!

And yes Mark, every issue is better and more exciting and the positive response with every new issue is what keeps us going, struggling with potential advertisers who don't hear you guys and your opinions is what we need to overcome.

Keep the flames stoked and let's hear from you guys - As Sixty40 web and mag we have a massive advantage over other mags/sports cos we have a real time forum where opinions and amp can be shared which inevitably leads to a better understanding of our readers/members and leads to a continually growing and improving product.

Shot guys and girls for all the positive input - Now Let's Hit It!
  • Chinnychinchin
    May 2008
    How old is Zigzag? When it first started it was super crappy and real cheap....Our mag is ONLY 1 year old and sicker looking as the latest Zigzag and we have this kiff forum! Imagine how much sicker it's gonna be in 5, 10, 15, 20 years time! Hell I can't wait for the next issue!!

Everyone on this site SHOULD subscribe to the mag.....it's ONLY like 80 bucks or something....thats the same as 4 DVD's from Mr. Video..... :shock:

Anyways, well done Kelly, Ian and everyone else who slaves away behind the scenes! RESPECT.
  • Spy Dude
    May 2008
    back slaps all round! wack, wack, wack.

got sum sweeet mountain biking photos if you want them... hahhahaha

no seriously 1 year hey... well done.

• May 2008
    love all the hype and good vibes feedback!! bodyboarding mags are really sweet and always stoked to buy them

was checking out the riptide the other day and was about 90 pages and about 42 i think was just full A4 pages, this is excluding 1/4 pages etc... so atleast half there mag is advertising!! pretty nuts but then leaves less content sometimes sadly...

well dont know what the battle is with subscribing or how it will go?! me honestly i dont subscribe as dont trust the postman here one bit sadly and have loads of mail that never arrives so doubt the mag will arrive to cause the postman that thinks anything that doesnt look like a bill can be used for his home.

so id rather go out and buy a few copies to keep in my car, at home etc...

but yes subscibing is cheap for sure!!

ps - so whose paddling today?! big and lumpy waves this side, was some cookers yesterday afternoon at Derdersteen, solid 6ft with no one out. im really ill at the moment so out till probably end of the week, yes bummed!
  • krukru
    May 2008
    Hey guys,

Ok, here goes,

The magazine is going well.
    We are probably the guys who suffer the most because we get to see awesome stuff and would like nothing more than to have 6 issues a year, or 4, 100 page issues per year.
    Unfortunatley this is not possible as we do not even recieve the same amount of advertising support that our predecessor had, a quick run down for magazine advertising: for most magazines the stauration content is one third advertising to two thirds content (thats where the reader starts to lose interest because their is to much advertising, which is more applicable to magazines like cosmo because surf related advertisers usually put insane images in their advertising that doesn't distract from the overall reason for having the mag, which is insane images and content of the sport they love). So that is what the industry standard is and believe me if this was us we would be styling. They say that if you have one quarter advertising to three quarters content you are surviving (that would be 15 full pages of advertising to 45 pages of content in a 60 page mag). We have less than this, alot less in fact and we are still making it work and bringing you a pretty damn sick mag (thanks team). So how do we get more advertisers on board? we know we have a good product because even some of the 'surf' companies have congratulated us on this, and everyone tells us that we are continuously improving.
    So what do they need? they need numbers. If we can show them 2000 subscribers they would not hesitate to come on board, even the surf companies would have to think long and hard about why they aren't supporting.
    And what does it take from you?
    If I had to come to you and say support the bodyboarding charity and give me R70 per year to make your sport sicker, bigger and better than it already is, you would wouldn't you? Everyone wants to see it succeed but very few put their money where their mouth is and lets be honest, what money? At R70 per year that works out to donating R5.83 per month for 12 months, what does R5.83 buy you? even a pie costs more than R10 these days. And I know a big drawback is that it sometimes doesn't arrive but to be honest, who cares? You 'invested' R5.83 per month in making bodyboarding better, so you can sleep better at night knowing your sport is growing. And that's the worst case scenario, the best case scenario is that you get 4 top quality magazines delivered to your door before the surf shops get it.

Now please, can anyone tell me why they don't subscribe? and still have the audacity to moan why our sport isn't growing quickly enough?
    We have guys who subscribe from Gaansbaai who don't even have internet, and guys from the bodyboarding epicentre complain about the sport not growing.
    The magazine has proven that we are pushing the sport in the right direction so why don't you invest and rely on us to help make bodyboarding bigger and better?
    Eventually we know we will get there because if you have a good product and you market it well, it will eventually succeed, this is just a way for you guys to help speed the process.

Let me know what you think,
    and thanks for the support so far,
    mmm, maybe a bodyboarding charity isn't such a bad idea.

Cheers
  • JdV
    May 2008
    i have been a subscriber since day one, and have never received my mag even a day late..for every person who complains about not getting it, there are probably another few hundred people who do receive theirs perfectly on time..to be honest the sa postal service is pretty jacked up these days and i haven't had any sort of trouble from them for ages.We've been over this 1000 times before, and i really don't think their can be any legitimate excuses for not subscribing anymore, people who say they don't subscribe because they fear the fractional chance that they might lose 5 odd rand a month is just ridiculous and frankly i don't think our sport needs people like that.

done.
  • rickyrabbott
    May 2008
    so you aint got 2000 readers subscribing to your mag yet.
    why dont you try bring in a few other interests that go with the sport like AGGHHHMMMM...MUSIC OR GRAFF OR a gig guide or something like that.

Or why dont you get some sales guys out at the beaches getting the laaitjies and parents to sign up for the mag. give them a special eg: first mag half prices the rest at cost.

the way you explained it, mr kruger ,is the way you should sell it. damn i almost bought it right there. 5 . 95 a month thats like 30pence or somewhere as rediculouse. and i see my sport grow at the same time.Wicked maybe i will.

Dude ABC

all bout closing ... dem sales.

ok i know you said its doing well and laa di da so you not going bank or nofing but STILL,

got get out there and flog the thing 2000 readers should be easy man you got more than 2000 people on this site and all there details: call them email them get them to sign up NOW!! there s a massive data list on this site . give it to me ill fucking close the whole list.
    give it to the groms for extra cash as a comm only haha job!!

just ideas you could have thought about them i dont know but there should be some sales in your data of people registerd to this site
  • lyle
    May 2008
    yip agree with rickyrabbot! all online subscibers should be contacted. and maybe chuck some insentives in for subscribers?? not sure what would work but some ideas are; subscibe and win, make the mag R25 and subsribers pay R15 a copy, freebies, sixty40/ factory7 stickers, tidechart for the year, subscibers get free year calendar.

all this stuff mentioned should be for subscribers only!! entice those who dont subscribe to do so.

a though towards getting sponsors...

bodyboarding always seems to be competing against surfing as a wave riding sport. you know, certain clothing brands wont sponser bbing because they "a surf brand"?? has anyone thought of trying travel agents?? or car hire places?? or places of this kind? they dont sponser surfing and many bogers use these facilities for travel?? eg. flight centre could have a link on our website and have a 1/2 page in the mag??? you get where im going?? not to compete with surfing.

well ive had a hectic time brain storming for bbing sa and i hope my ideas would help or inspire someone :mrgreen:

to everyone involved, helping with the mag, buying the mag, getting the mag out, etc keep it up! great work! :mrgreen:

sweetness.
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.