choices..... eish!!!!

• lyle
    February 2008
    i just feel like airing my troubles. i was gonna leave SA for the UK in march or early april. was excited for the change, but extremely nervouse to leave fam & friends etc.

today, an ex boss calls me. he offers me a job for R10 000 at one of the biggest companies in SA!! (its a car manufacturer.) his mate is interviewing, im sorted.

my expression was: N.W.T.F. im 21, do i choose fun and good experience or a career.

gotta make a decision by tomorrow. choices, choices!!

Bodyboarding 1,623 views

26 Replies

• peterbee
    February 2008
    Dude, if I can make a suggestion: go for the fun, else you'll always regret it. Never trust easy things, because then it's your fear of risk that makes the decision for you!

And if someone suggests the 'responsible' option - you have a responsibility to live life fully.
  • craigtrilivascraigtrilivas
    February 2008
    Dood,honestly.......go to the UK......................Giv me the jizob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL.

no seriously now :mrgreen:

man ur in for a good tuff few next hours boet.
    Hope u can get sum sleep.

UK is a blast.
    So many new things to see and do.
    Anything u want,its there.
    Any music ur into,there's a whole movement behind it.
    I must admit theyr pretty frikkin sorted thatside apart from the weather bro.
    Partying is off the heezy too!!!

On the one hand u could go there for a while a save sum doh and when u get back its worth plench.
    On the other you hav been given an opportunity Im damn sure alot of okes out there would give a nut for.

Hope ur final decision makes u happy bro.
    If it were me i'd probably stay.
    but thats me cos jobs like that r becoming scarce for sum breeds and cos i hav been already.
    But i will say this tho,i had the time of my life when i went and i would do it all ovr again too!!!

B kiff.
  • Spy Dude
    February 2008
    Dude... read this book, then make up your mind.

thealchemist.jpg
  • KellyKelly
    February 2008
    Maybe a bit of a different spin than take the job or go travelling because you can do both. Depending on what the job is - having experience can mean the difference between getting a decent paying job overseas that can fund your travels or battling along on minimum wage and never getting to travel. If you are motivated enough you will find work (maybe not the work you want) but times are tight at the moment and without experience, it can be tough finding a job.

It is always about experience, contacts or being able to talk your way into a job. A degree or qualification without experience is tough.

21, 22 or 25 is not going to make much difference. If I was in your position and didn't have experience, then I'd take the job, enjoy sponging SA and in a year or two go travelling. Obviously don't tell them though ... a year down the line, you might have different ideas and you have no obligation to divulge something which may or may not happen. Just put in the effort and when it comes time to move on you'll have no reason to feel like you're letting anyone down - you've grafted for your salary.

Anyway bru ... great to have the luxury of choice. Just go with what you think is right and no regrets ...
  • lyle
    February 2008
    guys shot alot. i have made my mind though. i have a visa, which expires after two years, i have a year and abit of experience in IT, which i studied, and im scared ill regret if i dont go.

so i reckon my only choice is, live with no regrets and go!!!! hopfully i can get something like this offer when i come back.

no regrets..........
  • Spy Dude
    February 2008
    I am actually with Kelly on this bru, very wise words old man.... especially in the IT industry.
    Lyle LISTEN TO KELLY.

I know i am in the IT industry too, experiance from studying means NOTHING. Seriously.
    Dont rush stuff, you are still young. -- take that from a wanna be ballie!
  • Len at ScienceLen at Science
    February 2008
    go and travel, R10000 is nothing. you can start a carier at 26 so that gives you 4 years. kelly and spy dude is still young. go and travel and worry about the money when you have no food to eat.

have fun get experience thru life and keep your attitude right.
  • ChilternburtChilternburt
    February 2008
    i only sucked up the courage at 25 to leave the security of a job and mom and dad behind, and i WISH i had done it at 22, moving to London changed my life, and made me the person i am today...
    i wont lie and tell you its all perfect.. the weather can suck and well the city life isnt for everyone... just last night myself and a fellow surfer / saffa who gets the same train as me had a 35 min convo about what we missed most about home, being able to surf after work, but this doesnt take away from the fact both of us can hop on a plane to anywhere now and surf for 3 weeks...

guess what i am trying to say is .... DO it...!!!!
  • KellyKelly
    February 2008
    lyle wrote:
    guys shot alot. i have made my mind though. i have a visa, which expires after two years, i have a year and abit of experience in IT, which i studied, and im scared ill regret if i dont go.

so i reckon my only choice is, live with no regrets and go!!!! hopfully i can get something like this offer when i come back.

no regrets..........

Good stuff ... enjoy bru!!!
  • koslovski001
    February 2008
    Gotta side with Kelly on this one...

Dude go for the interview and if you get the job take it... if u dont get the job, bail dude, take your stuff and go party it up in the UK...

I finished school, went to study couldn't get a job and was on the verge of doing the running thing when I got a call for a job interview, I went and I got the job, it put me a very good position and now I am sitting in a position where every other week I have people calling me up and offering jobs ranging between 30 and 40k a month... If I had pissed off to the UK or the states I would be sitting pretty where I am now... Now I can afford to go to Indo and Madagascar and do the most crazy surf trips... oh and to top it all off, I only turn 25 in a couple of days.

Not sure if that is going to help u, but I know how u feel on this one..

BEST OF LUCK Dude :mrgreen:
  • StJohnLombard_Bodyboarder
    February 2008
    Lemme guess, Daimiler Chrysler?
  • lyle
    February 2008
    stjohn you are on the money.

everyone mentioned valid points & trust me my brain sounds like all of you...... half says stay (with good points) other half says go (with good points)!

my strongest feeling though is no regrets. my UK visa expires in 2 years. dont want to regret not going in 5/10years time. if it wouldnt expire i wouldnt mind staying for a year or 2 and seeing how things play out, but unfortunatly i cant.
  • rylin
    February 2008
    man, you won't regret going, life is insane when your travelling, no words can explain the feeling of experiencing new,different and amazing things. There are so many things to do with other currencies from around the world.
    A great opportunity might come along while travelling.....
    Have a great time.
    February 2008
    I kno sum1 who werks for them!!!
    Her name is Sally.
    She's my uncles goose.

She drives the Jeep SRT8.
    Let me tell u sumthing 4 nothing..........that cabbie is the beeeeeez kneeeeeeez boet dont test just believe me.
    Its got like this 2nd turbo kick that slingshots u into the horizon i swear......ANY car wants to race u will take them.

sorry bro im gettin sidetracked.How can u tell i dig cars?
    Dood,wat u mean ur visa expires in 2 yrs?
    Do u have it all organised already,meaning u were so planning on going and now u hav this offer?
    Cos usualy one decides to go,THEN one organises their visa.

Mine was also a 2 yr and it only allowed me to work full-time for half my stay(which they automatically pressume is the full 2 yrs).
    So either u work full-time for a year solid or part-time for 2yrs.

But no1 ever follows the rules anyways so u could just work full time like alot of other peeps and even stay longer than ur visa permits :)
    Dood,if u got ur visa alreeds then u goota go now.
    Thats wat i think,cos i can go again on an ancestral,but then im in for the long haul yo,4 yrs = redbook..........yesman?
    BUt im definately not livin in the city.
    I wanna rock Fistral boet.

stay kiff. 8)
  • lyle
    February 2008
    yeah, got everything. was planning on leaving march/april. then i got the offer. but i have decided to go, coz it expires after two years. gotta use it while you have it.
    February 2008
    craigtrilivas wrote:
    Let me tell u sumthing 4 nothing..........that cabbie is the beeeeeez kneeeeeeez boet dont test just believe me.
    Its got like this 2nd turbo kick that slingshots u into the horizon i swear......ANY car wants to race u will take them.

ummm Nissan GTR

bye bye Jeep!!!

nissangtr.jpg
    February 2008
    jaoknofine!!!!!
    But who's gonna pull up next to u in an everyday situation with one of those?
    I saw this subaru wrx sti impreza on the telly that had this conversion done and if i had to choose any car thats in reasonable grasp to own.....it would be that one!!!!!
    The skyline wouldnt even feature bro.

i'll try get sum more info on it.
    February 2008
    but the cool thing is the Skyline is going to be sold world wide... unlike previous models.. and they not gonna be that expensive, i heard its gonna be about £77 000 which is cheaper than most Porsche's and it will decimate most super cars.. its already set a record time around Nürburgring...
    February 2008
    Thats sick.
    would love to see a shootout btwn the scooby,skyline and the lancer.
    Maybe throw in the new M3,an M5 and possibly a porsche or 2 or sumthin of the like.

My mate had a scooby impreza sti in black wit gold rims and ended up sellin it to get the new R6 yamaha.
    WTF???
    Ok i kno the bike is sh*t hot,has racetrack breading adapted for the street and is the opitimy of the phrase crotch rocket but i woulda kept the cab man honestly.
    I mean u can make sweet luv in the scooby at least LOL!!!

yizerd. :wink:
    February 2008
    I can tell you a winner right now...
    the Skyline, the new M3 is sluggish, the Audi RS4 ownes it.. M5 is simular...
    the Evo X and new Scooby are again tamed versions of the former selves what with the Scooby changing into a hatchback now, and the Evo X been tuned down to be a sedan, not a full race spec rally monster with leather seats...
    the best Evo was the XII and the best M3 was the E36 Evo...
    no porsche including the new 911 turbo can match the Skyline so my choice is an easy one....

oh and the R6 is sweet... but where do you stick your doll....hehehe
    February 2008
    Yeah agree the new scooby is lame!!!
    Guess theyr just tryin to follow suite in the rallies wat with everyone else rocking hatches.

I read that the new M3 just pips the RS4 tho but not by much.
    The e36 evo was the shizzle tho wasnt it.
    I watched Jeremy Clarkson take on a Gallardo in a mitsu evo V11 or V111 around the topgear track and it was tight bro.
    The guy drivin the lambo was a WRC ex competitor and jeremy was up his bum the whole like ten laps they did or so.
    So mush so that he eventually forced the lambo into an error and sliding out cos of the pressure in his naught LOL.

Makes u think.

Also u can mod a citi golf so much that it'll whip cars that cost like 100 times their worth.
    Im pretty stoked with my new lil citi and she's going in next week for a lil conversion too.
    looks like im gonna be using a bit more juice from then on :lol: haha!!!
  • Spy Dude
    February 2008
    Tell me do you okes have neon lights under your cars and big ass wing welded onto your boots. Have you replaced you exhasts with oversized tin cans and put spinners on?
    February 2008
    nope Spy, lets be honest... Neon lights was sooooo 2004...
    and if i owned a high performance car it would def stay stealth... perfect for blowing away fools in wanna be Porsche Boxsters (Hairdressers)
    besides big wings are only good for track days when u need big downforce to hold you to the track...kinda like channels :D :D
  • lyle
    September 2009
    just to update this topic. couple ous said i must go, enjoy it, then come back and work on my career. best advice ever! i went- i enjoyed! now im back, and i got my old job back!! so super stoked!!!!!!! so hopefully my career will gho places now!

peace
  • JmoJmo
    September 2009
    Thats rad. Its cool to remember reading this topic last year and now hearing the feedback.
  • ElementreeElementree
    September 2009
    I'm currently there.

Got a better job than I had back home.

Kinda enjoying it, but missing the ocean more than a beached whale - yes I am getting fatter :)

So looking forward to exploring some of the epic surf around Europe and planning my trip to the East next year.

Stoked...
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.