Whats with EMO?

• Spy Dude
    December 2007
    ok i might be showing my age here...

now Kids seriously, the 80's died in the 80's i hated it then and i hate it now.
    Those skinny pants are DAMAGING YOUR BALLS, and you look like a dork. Didnt youall figure that out at the NoFriends 10 premier.
    The hairstyle... is so gay and totally not funktional. POSER!
    Those strechy ear things... nice if you never want a job or want a permanent beer can holder. What is the point???

I dont get it
    please explain it to me.

Does this look cool to you?
    23329475473098049d.jpg

Miscellaneous 4,741 views

47 Replies

• December 2007
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • spongebobluva69
    December 2007
    bru...

you speak of hate in your post>>> yet in contradiction you spk of god at the end of it??? are you joking???
    bru, read your signature saying or whatever at the end of all your lame posts and realise that god himself created people to be different and allowing people to rock it "EMO" is jus one example...

if people dig, jus chill out and let them dig it.. no-one's asking you to do it???

dont hate bro, we all bodyboarders and we share a common passion... the way we dress is irrelevant...

my main concern is how a person like you can judge so harshly, yet appear to be a man of god...

not cool..
  • MichelleDaniels
    December 2007
    Who's judging WHO?? :wink:

• December 2007
    this can go all ways but looks in general has nothing to do with how successful you become unless you let it stand in the way....ive me example loads of photographers in Europe who are tattooed to the max and highly successful and making big coinage.. and there looks, well thats just who they are...

BUT

i think all around the world no matter what your style skinny pants are just plain ugly and not in fashion anymore... if you lived in Europe and travelled around maybe at one stage you would have noticed it to be cool, but nodays no one wears there as they know that they arent cool, damage your balls and chicks just dont like it! so if you are looking to go for a sweet looking european, american or any decent nice girl lose that style of pants... its just a stage that came and went and SA is still stuck with it even though they are so gay they make gay people look like super heros... well thats my touch of experince from travelling around the world and checking out styles etc... but SA is waaaaaay behind in the fashion and think will be for long time to come...

all good.

ps i return to SA soonish!!
  • peterbee
    December 2007
    Hey, Spy - you're right... you ARE showing your age! :D
  • peterbee
    December 2007
    On another note, though: don't worry, just 'cos the Fashion Police aren't arresting anybody right now, doesn't mean they aren't taking notes - they're just trying to build a big case ... and then one night they're gonna start rounding people up in the middle of the night and send them off, maybe shoot a few as examples?

Yay the Fashion Police!
  • Spy Dude
    December 2007
    hahhaha...ok i do appologise
    i wasnt hating i was trying to understand
    so who is going to explain it to me.

please help me understand EMO, i really dont get it.
  • Spy Dude
    December 2007
    Nacho: Chancho. When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun

david1.jpg
  • Spy Dude
    December 2007
    Shheeesh spongebobluva69

you must seriously love your skinny pants.

Dude just cos i am a christian still doesnt mean i aint allowed an opinion.

Jesus wasnt a "wus" bru, he spoke his mind, he tuned ous when he thought they were wrong, dude he even klapped ous when he thought they were wrong -- think of the incident with the traders and money changes doing buisness in the temple or when he tuned his disiples what.

So dont bring me the YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN KUK bru...pppphhhshhhh.

ps if you didnt know the serenity prayer is what is used in Rehabs and AA meetings dumbass, if you ever worked with junkies you would know that.

Anyways seeing as you are the only one who didnt see the FUNNY in my post, i will leave it up to you to explain the strechy pants thing to me. I have asked Jared too.... but he cant... hahaha and he is a christian too!

I have a mohawk, i have followed the punk since i was in school.. yes the 80's, i can explain that to you if you want... so please tell me why you want to kill off your chances of offspring one day.
  • peterbee
    December 2007
    It kills off my chance of offspring? Yay, where do I get my stretchy pants? I'll wear it under my wetsuit, it will give me added stoke knowing I'm killing off my little spermies by the millions... :-)

Just one thing (maybe it's MY turn to show my age...) - I thought emo's were like ultra-gothic types, as in total doom-and-gloom self-scarring cockroach kids, as opposed to the trans-humanist and tribal peeps you're talking about...?
  • Len at ScienceLen at Science
    December 2007
    spy dude wrote

Dude just cos i am a christian still doesnt mean i aint allowed an opinion.

Jesus wasnt a "wus" bru, he spoke his mind, he tuned ous when he thought they were wrong, dude he even klapped ous when he thought they were wrong -- think of the incident with the traders and money changes doing buisness in the temple or when he tuned his disiples what.

So dont bring me the YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN KUK bru...pppphhhshhhh

HEY BOET RESPECT FOR YOU, JESUS SPOKE HIS MIND AND THE TRUTH
  • ElementreeElementree
    December 2007
    Wow...

All this over a pair of jeans... :lol:

Quite funny really...we all have our stages during our youth where defining ourselves, stamping our mark on society becomes of great importance. A time where some of us "fit into the norm" and "copy" the popular theme of the day in order to fit in and become accepted by the society we find ourselves in. Whether that be the Jocks, the punks, the mods, the IT whizz kids, the stoner surfers, the EMO kids...whoever, as long as they accept us its cool.

I myself was, in hindsight a rather confusing case...possibly the EMO kid of my time.

I surfed & smoked pot...so i must have been a stoner surfer, but wait i listened to Marilyn Manson, White Zombie, Ministry(not the club) and pretty much anything odd...so i was a surfing, stoner, goth who dyed half of his hair purple and unbeknown to him was known as "The Purple Turtle"(after a popular Cape Town pub), by the young ladies he walked past everyday. I switched off from the norm of society...in aid of what?...who knows...but it worked for me at the time.

These days i no longer smoke ganja, i still surf(try to) and listen to some rather odd music...

Does that mean i have to dress in black, dye my hair and only listen to arb, depressing music...???

No not really, what i was like in my youth hasn't defined me in later life...
    I liked who i was as a youngster...as i said...it worked for me at the time and i had a ton of fun with my stoner, surfer/goth mates, but it hasn't made me the person who i am.

So i say, live and let live, accept people for who they are, see through the eyeliner and let them wear their uncomfortable jeans.

P.S...Hitler used to wear EMO pants cos he only had one nut, so it didn't really bother him...

Spongebobluva is the most EMO kid i know... :lol: - NOT!

and Spy...its actually...

God grant me the serenity,
    to accept the things i cannot change,
    the courage to change the things i can,
    and the wisdom to know the difference.
  • Spy Dude
    December 2007
    I still wanna know what EMO is all about.

ok purple turtle.. i am changing my signature to my kbay excuse.
  • Chinnychinchin
    December 2007
    The eighties ruled and still do......it was that freedom of expression in the 80's that inspired our sport to grow exponentionally, hand-drag spinners and all. Stretchy pants do look dumb, but then again so did my lumo pink boardies and matching Craz-zink....ha ha ha Everytime we sqeeze into our black rubber suits aren't we putting on streatchy pants? that means all us ou's in CT are EMO's including SPY....ha ha ha ha

And for the record, Jesus is King and we can get all worked up and start debating and hating or whatever, but when it's all said and done, He will represent Himself when the time comes.......

Anyone see this speach by Bono? It's freakin awesome. Just remember if you watch it, he is speaking to possibly the most powerful men/women in the world. He is a legend. (it's a long download cause it's 21min)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8449081008
  • ElementreeElementree
    December 2007
    Chinnychinchin wrote:
    Everytime we sqeeze into our black rubber suits aren't we putting on streatchy pants? that means all us ou's in CT are EMO's including SPY....ha ha ha ha

Nooit bro...commando is the only way to go!

I do however wear a stretchy rubber tshirt, but thats more fetish than EMO.
  • Chinnychinchin
    December 2007
    Commando?! So you surf Sandy Bay?? ha ha ha

Actually I surfed there only once, that was frikkin wierd, dodging those creapy nude dudes just to get to the water...EISH!!! I don't care how good the barrels get, no surf is worth that trauma, I still have nightmares...... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
  • Spy Dude
    December 2007
    i beleive from the EMO kid down in finance its only EMO if you wear those trainers with the skulls all over them with your wetsuit.

We wear swim fins and those dont count.. dude called them flippers anyways, but he also called me a booogieboarder... so i punched him and pulled his lip ring.

He agrees that we in fact are safe from the EMO curse as long as we are in the water.

So what music are EMO kids into? Slap Cookie? or would it be something darker like... deicide?
  • wade harrison
    December 2007
    i wish my lawn was emo....so it would cut itself.
  • ChilternburtChilternburt
    December 2007
    ROFL at Wade....
  • Spy Dude
    December 2007
    lol wade.. best one in ages....

shot for da beers after the movie on sat night, good jolling with you punks and sam in his skinny pants.

• December 2007
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=XEJDGLF-e18

this will explain it all ;)
  • Spy Dude
    December 2007
    20983475e9b884de32.gif
  • dcmike
    December 2007
    You guys are seriously hilarious!
    Beside having to carry a handbag for your small change cos it doesn't fit into skinny jean pockets, I reckon EMO deserves way more credit than it gets. It's just another form of expression which sure beats the hell out of the jocks who can't string 2 words together in a discussion so they just resort to violence.
    Has anyone stopped to consider that goths are generally way above average intelligence and non-violent? Okay so emo isn't goth but they run a close second I reckon. Sure I think skinny jeans are doff but hey, they aren't going to reproduce so what's the problem? haha!
    If you try to be alternative you just buy into someone else's ideology anyway - do what you want - express YOURSELF...
    Viva la resistance!
    PS: see who wears the gimp suit in the icy Atlantic and you'll see who doesn't care what other people think - We're warm and you're not!
  • Lea
    December 2007
    emo is anything that suggests an air of vulnerability.
    It's showing your own style and creating your own trends.

I think we all have the right to wear whatever makes us feel comfortable, maybe not physically.. (cos yeah, still not sure how those tight pants can be comfortable for guys, but the same goes for chicks and high heels)Rather it makes us feel emotionally comfortable I guess. It is sometimes more about the image that it represents or hope to represent.

I don't think emo is a dissapearing trend yet, in fact, i think it is the fastest growing trend, for now anywas. I don't care really - it doesn't change who the people are or what they are destined to become, it's all part of the learning process i think.

I have a lot of emo friends and alot of non-emo (unfortunely emo-hating) friends and i love them all.. i might respect the emo ones a lil more for taking a stand for something and going against the grain to be what they want to.. after all, it's so easy to just go with the flow.

ps: between ninjas and pirates i choose ninjas
    between jocks and emo's i choose emo's
  • JdV
    December 2007
    I think that it should be noted that wearing skinny jeans does not necessarily make you emo.There is a wide variety of 'sub-cultures' if you'll call them that that currently embrace the skinny-ism.But in a typically mis-informed South African way most people seem to think that emo and skinnies are the same thing.

The viability of skinny jeans as an effective contraceptive is a whole other debate, not limited to emo.
  • MichelleDaniels
    December 2007
    Quote:
    The viability of skinny jeans as an effective contraceptive is a whole other debate, not limited to emo.

Hopefully nobody has that misconception!
    Just as condoms and diaphragms are not 100% effective and cannot be relied on as well!

As with the talk in regard to tight jeans causing sterility over time,
    we also hear the same of males wearing"Tighty Whities"/Jockey Shorts"
    or smoking marijuana. My husband just told me an unbelievably funny, yet sad story, that happened at Stanford University. Probly not appropo for here--don't want to risk any racist accusations--
  • KellyKelly
    December 2007
    Here's some christmas shopping inspiration for parents who don't know what to get their EMO lighty ... 30 Seconds to Mars lead singer Jared Leto trend setting in his skinny jeans & crocs. So throw a pair of crocs into the christmas stocking along with this photo ... legend! The man is ahead of his time ...

n512971427_310037_6692.jpg

Spy Dude wrote:
    We wear swim fins and those dont count.. dude called them flippers anyways, but he also called me a booogieboarder... so i punched him and pulled his lip ring.

LOL
  • wade harrison
    December 2007
    lea is emo
  • Lea
    December 2007
    Whatever makes you happy wade face
    i am stoked about who i am
    What-ever who-ever think that is

i can't see how emo kids effect you IN ANY WAY, so, still confused why you guys are making such a big hype.

Feeling threatened?
  • BOWL GROM
    December 2007
    WOW EMOS ARE TOTALLy unique and against the grain...
    o but wait they all follow a certain style and dress the same...
    Am i missing something here? :wink:
  • Lea
    December 2007
    against the grain of the majority
    skinny jeans, eyeliner and long fringes stand oUT.. apparently
    enough to challenge the norm

peace
  • Spy Dude
    December 2007
    Shot kelly... finally someone is pouring light on the EMO thing.

If that is in fact true then i dont think EMO is a new thing, maybe the name is but definatly not the fashion trend. Robert Smith from the Cure was wearing dark eye liner from lord knows when, Duran Duran all had long fringes (bangs in yank terms) and david lee roth loved his skinny pant.

I dont hate EMO as lea suggested, i just dont understand it. But as is the trend with forums, people love jumping to conclusions.

Oh and Wade... Leas wishes she was EMO, she is trying lank hard, but in reality she is just an uber normal kinda chick. :wink:

I still think skinny jeans look Doff...
    especially on a guy.
    high heels, although impractable, look good on a woman. Makes their calfs look great. I wanna see lea in heels.
  • Spy Dude
    December 2007
    robert-smith.jpg
  • Chinnychinchin
    December 2007
    People have been trying make-up, strange clothes and even stranger music for decades, in an attempt to express themselves, to find out where and how they fit into the matrix of this world that proclaims "polital correctness". That's how Rock and Roll started.

I think on a much deeper level it's about the "matrix" we are all living in and it's hell-bent mission on blurring the lines of truth......most "post modern" issues now boil down to how well your attorney can argue your point, by any means necessary, and that may even mean ignoring...yip, you guessed it......the truth.
  • Jared HoustonJared Houston
    December 2007
    lol.
    Bru,emo is just a branch off of 'scene'.
    'scene' is Basically the people who support local bands in a local area.Ie.the band scene of Tableview.
    If you roll through one of their shows you will see a large number of strangely dressed people.On most occasions very different from each other.
    Emo probably originated as just a different scene style which has now been blown completely out of proportion.
    Goodness.
    I mean does it really effect peoples lives?the way someone else chooses to clothe themselves.I think the fear of something new is a south african thing.Most people will tell you that in england etc clothes are not worn only to cover bodies but also in an almost artistic like way.Us south africans are extremely conservative in this regard.

Emo means emotional?right?
    Im sure everyone has there miff days?No one runs around labelling you an emo fag.

Skinny jeans.Made to fit.Would you wear a tshirt that doesnt fit you?nope.
    Dude.Agreed,lank guys who try the skinny jean things dont loook to awesome.This is either because of their build or their inability to choose a good fitting pair.I simply cant wear loose jeans anymore.I feel like a complete slacker who doesnt give a crap about how i look.Bru.

Eyeliner.Its aait.Brings out your eyes.Definitly not for everyday wear but for occasions?why on earth not?

Hair.Is awesome.It is a toy.while your young.Why dont you experiment.Look deep inside yourselves haha(emo)(so silly) and can you honestly say a rad cut,fringe sweeping the forehead and coming down next to the eyes,with a good set of bangs and mayb a few white extentions looks worse than your haircut.simple.plain.and boring.My honest opinion.

Emo fags.Il post a pic underneath of a young man named oliver sykes.Lead scream vocalist for the brit band Bring Me The Horizon.Go on youtube.search this band.And you tell me if you think you have the right to label and "emo kid" hate that word.as less of aman than you.
    December 2007
    damn dunno how to post the picture.

Read through some of the posts now prior to mine and too be honest im a little dissapointed.

Spy bro?heavy?:(
    Mark clark,bru,i sympathise for you man.I know how much emo means to you buddy.I promise you it will pass soon bru,you can go on with your life then bru.For now just rest easy buddy.

Guys.Fact.Girls skinny jeans are comfortable,reason being they stretch!Surprise surprise,they dont even touch your balls.But i dont wanna argue.Im sure your all extremely clued up on them.You seem to take such great interest.

Guys.Fact.Girls fashion is better than guys fashion.Label me all you want.Its not like ive never heard it before.
  • wade harrison
    January 2008
  • Chinnychinchin
    January 2008
    :( What started out to be a disscussion of popular fashion/culture has turned out rather wierd. Thanks Wade for the utube links...

That Horrison band, it seems the gender lines have been completely blurred cause they all look like very ugly chicks (no offense to the ladies of course). I think they look very sad, like very confused girly boys. But then again when the Beatles hit the scene with their toit pants and funny hair our grandparents labled them "queers". But I hardly think Horison are as ground breaking as the Beatles were, in inspiring a new era of music and fashion that changed the face of global pop culture forever.... (I don't particularly enjoy Beatles music, they are just a good example).

And then those other cats, well they are obviously TRYING to be satans minions no doubt about it. Oh and their "music" is so tired. They look like just another dark act trying to cash in on the whole satanic vibe. With all the weak "evil" props and costumes, that keyboard is so funny with the frikkin horns, ha ha ha. Talented musicians obviously, but it's rather pathetic actually, nothing new there seen it all before. Yawn. That whole God vs satan thing, it's so tired now, been there, done that, we ALL know who gets their ass kicked in the end.....just ask yourself the obvious question......who's in paradise on His throne :D and who's on fire roasting to crispy charcoal on his dumb-ass :evil: ......duh?!

There are SO many musicians out there with loads of talent but whether or not hey like to admit it they are all pretty much copying eachother and fitting into a specific genre. I think what makes a great song/band is one that is timeless, a song that goes beyond pop culture, so in 30 years time they still just rock.

I agree with Jarrod, YOUR style is YOUR canvas, so why not make your own genre? Just look at Japanese street fashion, for years, it's always been at the cutting edge of pop culture. (I'm in the industry) I think thats how the Emo vibe started, but the plot has been lost with the guys wearing LADIES fashion.... ha ha

Anywho, just some thoughts. peace.
    January 2008
    Wade you willyskin!
    Horizon are not that horrid word you called them you swak ou!
    Haha.

aait cool guys i hear all your points.I freaking dig the way scene kids dress,I(them) may look a bit odd,or gay to everyone else.But were happy man.

But,i still stand strong by saying girls fashion kills guys.And there is no reason a guy cant wear girls jeans.
  • wade harrison
    January 2008
    pleasure chinny :twisted:

bahahaaaaa i am pissing myself right now:!:
  • Spy Dude
    January 2008
    Jared Houston wrote:
    But,i still stand strong by saying girls fashion kills guys.And there is no reason a guy cant wear girls jeans.

a-borat2.jpg

IS NICCCCCCCCCCEEEEE
  • craigtrilivascraigtrilivas
    January 2008
    ok wow everyone needs to chillax!!!!
    yes skinnies r in so wat?
    im not fazed by it ,sum of my mates wear them but theyr not for me and i dont judge them for it either.
    BUT......i would like to know one thing.......why does everyone try SO HARD to look like SHIT?

is it cool to be stinky and dirty and lookin like u just played a 10 hour drum solo on a bottle of jack and sum strong acid?
    im old skool so i appreciate wat the 60's,70's,80's and 90's gave us ( and i still take from them and listen to alot of rock from then too) but come now,it really looks like sum okes r trying really hard to look like trash these days and i just dont understand why they would wanna do it to themselves.

Ok,skateboarding offered sum peeps an escape from not fitting into the "surfer"image and i saw sum friends of mine who were dubbed "nerds" get into their groov and i thought it was really awsome that they no longer felt alienated and had theyr own identity in the eyes of the more judgmental society types.i was mixed up in both worlds and still am.

So ja is this the new thing that enables people who dont think theyr cool a passage and right of way into the new cool?
    Hmmmm yes maybe.
    Cos out of the blu everyone is a frikkin rockstar and theyr in a rock band and they dont giv a shit and smoke,drink and take drugs and just dont giv a sh*t theez dayz.

any thoughts?
    im open,im not gonna judge anyone,i just wanna know.
    lakka.
  • Spy Dude
    January 2008
    My original intention with this post was to try and understand and not Dis, but it kinda got outta hand.
    I think its funny and i now get a laugh out of skinny pants boys. :lol:
  • Spy Dude
    January 2008
    sad when this happens.. i answer my own question...
    Not many people could explain it to me, most got rather defencive or sent me nasty hate mail.

So google came to the rescue.

For anyone one wondering what the hell is EMO, here is a pretty solid explaination.

Emo. Short for emotional. Emo. A genre of punk rock. Emo. A dress code of tiny t-shirts and horn-rimmed glasses. Type the word "emo" into your average search engine and you'll get over three million results that will encompass nearly that many different opinions of what emo actually is. The general approach to the term is a lot like the approach to pornography, "I can't tell you exactly what it is, but I'll know it when I see (or hear) it."

The history of emo is somewhat less ambiguous than its current meaning. "Emo" music developed out of the D.C. punk scene in the '80s. In its original incarnation, emo was short for emocore, or emotional-hardcore. The name was applied to hardcore punk rock bands who distinguished themselves from their peers by adding an emotional component to their music, dealing with sadness and love and angst in their lyrics. The music was also characterized by particularly dramatic vocals which, at best, left the audience in an emotionally charged state, crying or screaming. These days, emo has been popularized and sent into the mainstream through bands like Dashboard Confessional, Taking Back Sunday and Saves the Day.

Emo music has even inspired its own subcultural style. Take your average Rites of Spring fan and you get someone who looks a lot like Weezer's Rivers Cuomo--nerdy glasses, vintage tees, cuffed jeans, Converse sneakers and slightly shrunken tops. Black hair and straight bangs, tight hoodies and thrift shop attire are also associated with emo. And while emo devotees are notoriously upfront about their feelings, instead of wearing their hearts on their sleeves, they tend to favor ironic slogans and band logos.

Lately, labeling someone as "emo" is something of a put-down, a stand-in for "overly emotional" or "melodramatic." The implication is that they are excessively moody and angsty, prone to crying jags and plagued by a love of bad poetry. Hot Topic even issued a patch that read, "cheer up, emo kid!" But for those who call themselves emo, the term means something more pure. At its core, emo is all about being upfront with your emotions. Or, as one "expert" defined it, "emo is like being Goth, but much less dark, much more Harry Potter." -- :mrgreen:
  • Len at ScienceLen at Science
    January 2008
    SPY DUDE

THANKS FOR THAT ALI-G PIC, IT MADE MY DAY, I HAD SUCK A LAUGH. I CAN PICTURE JARED WEARING HIS SPEEDO (G STRING) LIKE THAT AT MY AGE WITH R5 HOLES IN HIS EARS.

WHEN I THINK BACK WHEN MY HAIR WERE DOWN TO MY SHOULDERS AND A I HAD A DIAMOND IN MY LEFT EAR, THE REACTION I HAD FROM MY GIRLFRIENDS DADS I MUST SMILE. LET THE YOUNG ONES EXPERIMENT AND HAVE FUN. AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT FORGET WHERE YOU FROM AND YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AS A ROLLMODEL FOR THE GROMS (TALKING RELIGION) THEN GO FOR IT. WWJD.

I JUST BELIEVE ITS REALLY, REALLY WRONG THAT MICHAEL RAT OSTLER CAN WEAR THAT SKINNY PANTS AND BEING SA CHAMP. HE MAKES OSCAR PRETORIUS LOOK LIKE A BODY BUILDER.
  • Spy Dude
    January 2008
    bwhahhahahha.........
  • craigtrilivascraigtrilivas
    January 2008
    DARK IS KIFF.
    NIGGIES BEIN EMO lol.

B KIFF. :P
  • Post a Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2024 Sixty40 Bodyboarding. All rights reserved.